I went over my calories

Options
penny0368
penny0368 Posts: 14 Member
So went over my calories by 100 today...so upset with myself.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What? Are you sure you got the calorie intake right? Because all the numbers in and out are all just estimates.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Oops. You'll get over it. Like queenliz99 said, in and out are just estimates. For all you know, you might really be 100 calories under.
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 100 calories over is so small. Don't be hard on yourself. We all have days we go over. Just get back on it tomorrow. You can do it!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It happens. You're still under maintenance, so you did little, if any, damage.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    100? No biggie?
    You'd have to go over your maintenance calories by 3500 calories in a week to gain 1 pound.

Those weight loss calories mfp gave you? They're either 250, 500, 750 or 1000 calories below your actual maintenance calories. Don't sweat it. Being upset over something like this is a sure way to set yourself up for real disappointment.

Just go back to your normal eating tomorrow. Don't heavily restrict your calories, don't go crazy with the exercise...

How many pounds have you got to lose? How many pounds per week weight loss did you choose? If you have at least 50lbs to lose, then 2lbs per week is reasonable, otherwise it is too much of a deficit and can burn you out fast and cause one to binge..
  • spondypete
    spondypete Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The good thing is that tomorrow it's a new day. Besides that, 100 calories isn't that much more.
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Like they said...100 is nothing...if you are that worried about it, walk for 20 minutes to make up for it :)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Use it as a learning opportunity. Look at your food diary. What could you have done differently? Learn from it and keep going!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    penny0368 wrote: »

Why? You're still in a huge deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    penny0368 wrote: »

Why? You're still in a huge deficit.

This
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Anything within 100 plus or minus of your goal is just fine. I would much prefer if instead of hard number MFP used a range people had to shoot for. As it is 100 calories is like .03 of a pound (assuming I did my math right and I am tired enough that may not be the case). Since you are eating at a deficit that is .03 of a pound that you may not have lost. Assuming your goal is set up like many new here at 2 pounds per week, you took one tenth of your daily calorie deficit away.

The point of all this is to give you some perspective. Take a bigger view of things. That 100 calories will not make a significant difference either for the day or even for the week.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Only 100? That's nothing. Log it and move on.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I've been here three years. I lost to my goal weight, then put 10 pounds back on stress eating through my grandmother's death. I am back to 3lbs above the goal weight this morning. My goal every day is to be +/- 100 of the goal #. If I did that, I'm going to be fine. If I never lose the 3 pounds, I'm going to be fine, but I will admit to being vain. I want the number, plus I have my annual physical this week and my doctor likes me between 155-160. If I'm in her range on her scale on Thursday, then I'm back to maintenance calories instead of .5 lb/week loss. Life goes on. Today, I walked far enough to fit Freddy's custard into those calories AND half a serving of their fries. That meal was most of my calories for the day, but my family wanted it so I made it fit. And the custard was good. The moral of this story is, "Don't beat yourself up. Pick yourself up." This HAS to work for the rest of your life or it won't work at all.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow so disappointed over 100 calories. Seems to me like your fighting some other demons.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I go over mine every day.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! 100 calories is really not going to make any difference to your losses :)

Remember this is a lifestyle change and balance is really important, don't let calories dictate your life because it will create such an unhealthy relationship with food.

Take each day as it comes and don't expect too much of yourself or to be perfectly on point every day, because weight loss is not a linear thing and it wont work like that.

Good luck!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Wow so disappointed over 100 calories. Seems to me like your fighting some other demons.

We are all fighting some demon. Everyone! No one is demon free. Yours just might not be food related.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So what get over it. 100 calories in the scope of things it's not going to change your outcome. In all seriousness you have to remember this is a long-term Journey and it's not a short-term Sprint and you're going to have your ups and downs you're only human. To put things in perspective in March I went on vacation weight approximately 250 pounds probably two of those days I drank my calorie limit daily. Also had some great food takeout totally enjoyed myself I wouldn't trade it for anything. My current weight is 208

All I'm saying is it's a long-term Journey you will succeed if you follow the process you'll have your ups and downs but most importantly realize your worth it good luck with your journey