Does Contrave work? I am 20 and wondering if it works in younger people?

Options
2»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    hossip1996 wrote: »
    I KNOW THAT THE PILL IS! I KNOW THE PILL IS AN APPETITE SUPPRESSANT ! All I asked was has the pill helped anyone (helped curve their appetite) and if anybody in there 20s has taken it.

Whether or not it helps depends entirely on how you will put it to work, which is what everyone was asking about. Nobody said anything negative. People here don't deal in validation. They deal in information. Cause and effect. That sort of thing.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just looked it up to better educate myself. You don't meet the pr script ion criteria and your doctor should not have prescribed it.

The side effects are pretty scary, especially the risks of taking it with a high fat meal. We're not being mean, this is a serious drug and at 20 years old with such successful losses so far, being open to tweaks and help with logging would be the way to go if I were in your shoes.

Wouldn't this be grounds for malpractice due to the side effects? As a doctor, I'd be more concerned about that and losing my job versus someone complaining about being 20lbs from goal.

So once again, I revisit my point, OP. It is not a drug someone at your size should be taking and you need a new doctor.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    What kind of doctor would prescribe a drug like this to a 20 year old with only 20lbs to lose?!

The better prescription would have been advising them to set up MFP for a lower goal (like 1lb a week or less) and a food scale for total accuracy.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    It's dumb to take it as there is NO reason to do so. Period. Full stop.
  • k_diddly
    k_diddly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I KNOW THAT THE PILL IS! I KNOW THE PILL IS AN APPETITE SUPPRESSANT ! All I asked was has the pill helped anyone (helped curve their appetite) and if anybody in there 20s has taken it.

LOL troll.

first...."curve" is curb....and if no one you know is using it, then you are too old. It is only for people 10 years younger than you.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Contrave, a combination of buproprion and naltrexone, helps curb appetite and seems to decrease "food thinking", i.e., obsessing about food.

There is nothing addicting in Contrave.

Contrave is quite expensive.

It is unusual for it to be prescribed for someone with 20 lbs to lose. All drugs have a long list of potential side effects.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    What kind of doctor would prescribe a drug like this to a 20 year old with only 20lbs to lose?!

The better prescription would have been advising them to set up MFP for a lower goal (like 1lb a week or less) and a food scale for total accuracy.

My doctor prescribed the highest dose of phentermine when i had around the same amount to lose as the op. He didn't offer it to me, but was more than happy to write a script when i asked for it.

OP if you think contrave will help you lose weight, then so be it. My only advice is to keep tight control of your calories when you eventually stop taking it, so you don't regain the weight again..
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't think anyone is being negative. They are just giving you answers you don't want to hear. If the pill is just an appetite suppressant, it will force you to eat less and then yes, you may lose weight. There will most likely be side effects along with that though. Also, if you gained 20 pounds back, it's because you were eating too much, plain and simple. If you don't fix that, as soon as you come off of this pill, the weight is just going to come right back. This is not being negative, it is stating facts.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    from someone who has lost the same weight more than once , i have always noticed the closer i get to my goal the harder it is to loose . so if I had 20 more to loose i would have to really watch my eating habits ,, Thats Normal in my book . As far as the medicine goes im not a doctor so dont really know . i would use MFP to track exercise and calories to obtain my goal . its really pretty easy to use ..

Good luck and hang in there
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Has the risk of mental side effects (you already said you were depressed, this could make it worse). If can also cause seizures along with a host of other side effects.

Sorry but I am not sure that this medication is worth it for only 20lbs.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate it if y'all would stop with the negative comments. I work out everyday and I eat 1500 calories. I have lost over 100 pounds naturally and with hard work. I am hair having trouble with the last 20 pounds. If you can't say anything positive please don't comment on this. I don't need negative feedback this was a question not for people to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Then you probably shouldn't post to a public message board. You cannot control who responds and how.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If your diet is nutritionally perfect but you're still consuming too many calories, you won't lose weight. Did your doctor give you a calorie goal? If not, try using MyFitnessPal to set one and see how it goes. The Rx your doctor (reluctantly) gave you can be helpful, but you still need to do the work and have good habits established for when it's time to come off it.
    You can work out and eat healthy all you want and not lose weight. You need to have a sustained calorie deficit to lose weight.

I think everyone posting here is trying to help, no need to get upset or think anyone is saying anything negative about you. I think it's kind of people to make suggestions & urge caution with any medication.

It's terrific you've lost 100 lbs so far, that's an amazing accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself. Maybe you could focus on feeling great about what you've accomplished rather than feel bad you've got a little way to go...that might help your mood. Also, before taking a med that might have unpleasant side effects, why not give MFP a try; adjust your profile input, put 1lb per week, & see how many calories MFP gives you. If you follow that, weigh& measure all of your food, track everything that goes into your mouth, I bet you will lose that last 20 lbs without having to bother with meds!

I wish you luck.
  • jenidallas
    jenidallas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been on Contrave for 8 weeks now. The only thing the drug is going to do is make you think about food less and not feel as hungry when you are eating.

That's it. No magic potion, no fat burning secrets.

If you are doing all the other things you need to do - eating the right combination of macronutrients, staying below a calorie target, moving your body - then it will help keep you on track. But it mainly works on the brain so won't help you shed the last 20 pounds unless you are putting the other work in too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The doctor just prescribed me this. I more less begged for a weight loss aid. I am not obese and my Bmi was just at the mark to get prescribed this. I am having trouble loosing these last 20 pounds so I'm hoping this will help.

You only have 20 pounds to lose and your doctor prescribed you a weight loss pill?

How much did you lose prior to the last 20 pounds?

How did you lose that weight in the first place, and why are you using a weight loss pill now?

I, personally, would run from any doctor who would be willing to prescribe me a weight loss pill to lose 20 pounds.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If it doesn't help any she said to come off of it. It's Just something to try to see if it will help.

Here's the deal.

Any weight loss drug will work if you eat at a calorie deficit, but none will work if you eat at maintenance or a surplus.

Hence, the drug is 100% unnecessary.

Set your goals to lose .5 pounds a week, stay within your calorie limits and you will lose weight.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think that Contrave should be prescribed to someone with as little to lose as you, but what do I know? If you want to take it and risk the side effects, that's up to you.

BUT....

Everyone will tell you that the less you have to lose, the harder it is for the weight to come off. Twenty pounds might seem like a lot to you, but in the grand weight loss scheme of things, it isn't. I know you've gone the WHOLE ENTIRE SUMMER without losing anything, but this is not uncommon.....

ESPECIALLY if you're not accurate about your food intake. And we have no idea if you are or if you aren't because you refuse to answer people's questions and your diary is closed.

How are you measuring your food intake? With measuring cups? A food scale? Or are you guessing/eyeballing your portions?

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, how are you measuring your burns? If you're using the MFP database, be warned that it is notoriously over generous in the amount of calories it says that you've burned. Most people recommend only eating back half of the exercise calories that that database gives you.

I hope Contrave provides the miracle you're hoping for, but if it doesn't, there is a whole community of people here that can tell you how to lose 20 lbs without pills.

Good luck!