Knee pain HELP?

Options
Started working on two and a half weeks ago treadmill 30 minutes jogging lifting weights leg workouts and all that good stuff an hour and 15 minutes in the gym at 5 days a week and now I developed a knee pain on my left knee it's a sharp pain all I can do is a light walking I can't even job when I'm doing squats it hurts so bad oh my gosh what did I do to myself I am 5 .2 200 pounds

Replies

• paigeg150
    paigeg150 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started on a similar schedule in April and experienced the same thing. I switched to the elliptical or swimming the days I felt pain and its gotten so much better.
    I know you don't want to hear take it easy or add a rest day because I know I don't want to but instead switch it up for low impact cardio and swap out the squats for low impact weight machines for a couple days and see if it goes away.
    I hope you feel better!
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    In addition to resting and doing exercises that are easier on your joints, get fitted for a good pair a running shoes. Seriously, if you're running, shoes make a huge difference. You'll probably spend over $100, but that's much better than messing up your body.
  • zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Kelll12123 wrote: »
    In addition to resting and doing exercises that are easier on your joints, get fitted for a good pair a running shoes. Seriously, if you're running, shoes make a huge difference. You'll probably spend over $100, but that's much better than messing up your body.

I got ruuning shoes from on the run store for 115

I think I'm too fat for the treadmill lol
  • zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    paigeg150 wrote: »
    I started on a similar schedule in April and experienced the same thing. I switched to the elliptical or swimming the days I felt pain and its gotten so much better.
    I know you don't want to hear take it easy or add a rest day because I know I don't want to but instead switch it up for low impact cardio and swap out the squats for low impact weight machines for a couple days and see if it goes away.
    I hope you feel better!

Good idea I will do that
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Go see a dr. a sports dr if you can.

I fractured my tibia doing the couch to 5 k last year right under my knee. I've had issues with it ever since.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Google IT band syndrome or runners knee. Most likely your issue. It's an overuse injury from doing too much too soon

I'd get it checked by the doctor but probably the issue. Often traced to weakness in the hips

Best of luck.
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I developed osteoarthritis in both knees from running (1990-94). Now, I swim and I started working out with a personal trainer for dryland strength training. My trainer taught me to keep my lower legs straight up and down, when I do squats. You bend at the waist, and stick your butt back.
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It might help if you slowly increase your activity level and focus on low impact work outs.

I started at a similar weight from very sedentary and my joints would hurt when I exercised every day. After scaling back with plenty of rest days in between and keeping at it for a few months, I am now active on most days without any pain.
    Getting fit is a long term project :)

If you are in a lot of pain and it doesn't go away after taking a break from exercise, see a doctor.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    See an orthopedist.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I developed osteoarthritis in both knees from running (1990-94). Now, I swim and I started working out with a personal trainer for dryland strength training. My trainer taught me to keep my lower legs straight up and down, when I do squats. You bend at the waist, and stick your butt back.

Running typically does not cause osteoarthritis in otherwise healthy individuals.

http://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2093294

From the article:
    Although there are not currently enough data to give clear recommendations to long-distance runners, it appears that long-distance running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis of the knees and hips for healthy people who have no other counterindications for this kind of physical activity. Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration.

Couple more articles:
    http://www.livescience.com/36241-5-experts-answer-running-bad-knees.html
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/