Spaghetti squash

Options
MelissaE27
MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
I bought this big thing at the store.. and IM not sure what to do with it?? Is it like regular squash? can you just cut it and eat or grill it? Im afraid to cut into it yet.. until I know what to do with it? figured this is the best place to come!

Replies

• Tereztaylor07
    Options
    slice it in half longwise. Put flesh down in a few inches of water in a 13 by 9 pan. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Shred flesh with fork. Serve with a bit of garlic plain, or I substitute it for noodles in spaghetti and chicken alfredo. The flesh is really stringy, so I don't recommend slicing and grilling.
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    When I have it, I cut it in half, bake it in the oven, and then take a fork to the inside of it... it makes "spaghetti" out of it!
    Well, looks just like it, anyway. I've never eaten it raw - not sure if that'd be good...

I put some pasta sauce on the faux noodles and YUM!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    do a search in the forum for spaghetti squash recipes... I have found some wonderful ones here. But no, you can't just cut it up like a normal squash.. after baking or microwaving, you remove the seeds from the inside and then use a fork to "scrape" the pulp and it then looks like spaghetti.

I use it with spaghetti sauce, under chili (similar to skyline), with just butter and parmesan cheese, with low fat alfredo sauce, and I found a recipe on here to use it as a pizza "crust"...

Good luck
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    You can poke a few holes in it with a small knife and cook it in the microwave till soft (easier to cut then). I don't know how long, depends on how big the squash is or power. I check mine after 5 minutes on high then every couple after. Cut and scoop, serve like spaghetti or noodles or just enjoy like any other squash.
  • MelissaE27
    Options
    thanks guys.. I wondered why they called it spaghetti squash..lol Gosh Im a ditz...LOL
  • Amybmid
    Amybmid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend the microwave method. I poke the skin side with a fork several times before putting it flesh-side down in a little bit of water. I also cover with plastic wrap so it can steam a little. After you turn it into spaghetti, i like to saute it with olive oil, fresh garlic, and red pepper flakes. Delish!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    You can poke a few holes in it with a small knife and cook it in the microwave till soft (easier to cut then). I don't know how long, depends on how big the squash is or power. I check mine after 5 minutes on high then every couple after. Cut and scoop, serve like spaghetti or noodles or just enjoy like any other squash.

This...

I cut my first one fresh...and ended up with my kitchen knife through my left palm. Definitely soften it up some.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My aunt gave me this great recipe: poke the squash several times with a knife of fork and microwave 5-10 mins depending on the size of the squash (I try to buy the really big ones). In the meantime, cook some lean ground meat (like turkey - no fat) in a pan, add salsa (low calories!) and heat. Cut the squash into 1" rings (remove seeds, not skin) and place on a baking sheet. Distribute meat + salsa mix in the holes with shredded cheese on top... bake at 350 degrees for about 25 mins. Absolutely delicious!! My kids love it too! You can re-heat and freeze the extra portions, no problem :-))
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I put the squash in a sealed tight plastic bag and send my son out to smash it on the ground so it splits into pieces. then microwave!
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I put the squash in a sealed tight plastic bag and send my son out to smash it on the ground so it splits into pieces. then microwave!

BRILLIANT
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I used this recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/herbed-spaghetti-squash-recipe/index.html) to make one last night. We used fresh oregano and basil from our local farmer's market. Personally I didn't think it was very much like a noodle...the texture was closer to potato in a good hashbrown. It was fantastic!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I used this recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/herbed-spaghetti-squash-recipe/index.html) to make one last night. We used fresh oregano and basil from our local farmer's market. Personally I didn't think it was very much like a noodle...the texture was closer to potato in a good hashbrown. It was fantastic!

Yeah, I didn't like it as a noodle either...but I never thought of frying it like hash browns...

THAT is genius lol.
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Does yours ever come out too full of water? The first time I made it, based on a friend's directions, it was so wet and gloppy that the next time I made it, I squeezed the excess liquid out (as I do with thawed, frozen spinach) and it held the spaghetti sauce better. I probably should have let it cool a little more first, however, it was like playing hot potato. lol
  • MelissaE27
    Options
    Oh my gosh thats horrible.. dang squash :(

This...

I cut my first one fresh...and ended up with my kitchen knife through my left palm. Definitely soften it up some.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I buy three or four at a time and bake them all together because I don't want to have to keep putting the oven on if I don't have to. I too have learned the lesson of poking it and microwaving to soften it up... but, I also found that just poking it and baking it is nice too. If you let the outside skin get nice and brown (about 350 for 40 minutes then down to 200 for another 20-30), then the flavor is really beautiful.

I think it tastes way better when it is fresh from the oven versus being reheated but again, not going to turn the oven on for an hour each week if I don't have to!

I like it with some mixed veggies (carrots, peas, corn) thrown in and then heated up in the microwave... put some brown mustard on the side to dip it in! YUM!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump