So nervous

TigerLilly03
TigerLilly03 Posts: 49 Member
I have a hudge phobia of the dentist.. I have this tooth that hurts when i eat anything sweet. Anyting hot or cold. I know its a cavity. Last time i got a filling i felt it. So now my fear is great. Im going to a new place tuesday. I want to cancel

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    They'll probably just pull the tooth
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    I put off having my (one and only) wisdom tooth pulled for years. I was in pain daily because of it! Finally got it pulled this year, it was so easy and painless I felt stupid for not having it done sooner. Ask people in your area who they use.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    I went to the dentist 6 months ago for the first time in years. Had my first cavity, and 4 of them to boot. One possibility needing a root canal. The only thing that hurt after was my wallet. Just do it, it'll only get worse.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    They'll probably just pull the tooth

This..or root canal. I'd opt for the pulling, personally...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Haha that was me. I ended up having a tooth break and needing a root canal. I don't recommend...
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    See if they do "sedation dentistry"...seriously. It's a thing.
  • TestNamePleaseIgnore
    TestNamePleaseIgnore Posts: 295 Member
    Maximus wrote: »
    Just imagine your dentist naked. Hopefully, this is your dentist

maxresdefault.jpg

Mine would be this
    kku3jmiqyvwu.jpeg

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i literally feel your pain.

i had 5 teeth removed earlier this summer and got implants.

other than pressure (like what you feel with you pull and tug on a normal healthy tooth - it doesnt hurt, but you feel you messing around with it), i had ZERO pain during the extractions. NO sedation (just the regular numbing shot i believe), and I am extremely dental phobic and anxiety ridden. She did give me an anti anxiety med to take before hand (forget which one).

so .... it really wasn't as bad as what i had built up in my head and avoided for years and years and years. the toothaches i had while putting it off... were MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than the actual procedure.

• fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    I had a crazy incident when I was a kid with a horrid dentist giving me a root canal. One I probably didn't need since it continued to cause me problems down the road. I remember it to this day. Seriously traumatized me. So I can understand exactly how you feel. Pain involving teeth is no fun tho. I would look into sedation as mentioned above. Good luck!
  • TigerLilly03
    Thanks everyone. Im on state so its hard. I had a root canal once and tons of fillings but the last one i felt. Saying oh you have deep roots. So im even more scared. Always have been. It would be nice to have a sexy dr. But where i am going are all females.
  • JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    You should call and explain your phobia and ask for a prescription for something. People do this all the time. If I ever have another MRI, I'll be doing this ( claustrophobic).
  • TigerLilly03

I did and they said theyll note it. Still scared cause i dont want to fill the drill like last time.. Im on husky wonder if they use cheaper novocain. Sorry to here your claustrophobic.
    You should call and explain your phobia and ask for a prescription for something. People do this all the time. If I ever have another MRI, I'll be doing this ( claustrophobic).

• TigerLilly03
    I did and they said theyll note it. Still scared cause i dont want to fill the drill like last time.. Im on husky wonder if they use cheaper novocain. Sorry to here your claustrophobic.

• pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    If you had a cavity and never got it filled, it could result in a serious infection that *could* spread to the brain. That's in a rare/worst case scenario, but it does happen and not getting a cavity filled can be very dangerous. I also have a HUGE phobia of dentists and doctors (ironic since I work at a hospital lol). I've never had a cavity in my life BUT just think of it this way: Toddlers get cavities and need to get them filled. If they can do it so can you!
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    You'll be ok! Just ask for laughing gas. It's what my teens use
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    You could ask for something like Ativan or Valium for anxiety. My dentist will prescribe that pretty generously in small quantities (enough to get you through a stressful visit). Husband had 5 teeth pulled in one sitting on Valium. He said he could feel the bones in his face flexing as the dentist pretty much stood on his chest and yanked teeth but he might as well have been feeding ducks in the park for all it bothered him LOL.
  • mariesilva726
    mariesilva726 Posts: 42 Member
    Your not alone on this one. I waited a very long time to take care of my teeth due to fear. I've had 3 root canals and 2 crowns. Trust me just get the filling taken care of ASAP!!! Just remember breathe thru your nose
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

maxresdefault.jpg

Pretty sure this one gives happy endings with root canals.
  • TigerLilly03
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg

Pretty sure this one gives happy endings with root canals.

If you had a sexy guy that may help. Since im female.