Haven't lost a single pound

Options
I've been using this app for 9 days and find it incredibly easy. My calorie intake was worked out at 1,400 a day but most days I can be between 400 and 800 calories left. I just can't physically eat that much lol. I weighed myself this morning, hoping to have lost a tidy bit but, nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• ShrinkingScientist
    ShrinkingScientist Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wait, the app put your goal at 1400 calories a day, but you have 400-800 calories left? You're only eating 600-1000 calories a day?

Are you measuring everything (preferably by weight, not with measuring cups)?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You aren't waiting long enough. Considering that you're a woman & also have a menstrual cycle about every 28 days, give yourself 28 days because you'll most likely gain & lose several pounds of water weight, due to that alone. Also sodium & beginning/increasing your exercise'll cause water retention as well. It's imperative that you use a food scale & weigh everything that you put, in your mouth; to ensure that you're truly consuming as little calories as you believe. Also don't try/expect to lose more than 2 pounds a week & whenever you lose 10 pounds, readjust your calorie goals. Plus you must consume the minimum of 1,200 calories a day for a woman, to be as healthy as possible. If your having difficulty consuming as much calories, consume calorie dense items; such as: peanut butter (if you aren't allergic, to it), olive oil, etc.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Its been 9 days. And you are only eating 600 to 1000 on "most" days? Well this is unhealthy for starters and even this being unhealthy eating less calories that you burn will always result in weight loss.

If you are not using a food scale to weigh your food that you consume then your numbers are off in what you are saying that you are eating. Hense those low calorie days can be higher and even the regular intake of 1400 a day can be higher. So remember if you consume food and do not log it in the diary honestly, the body does not care what you log and if your are honest or not about this process.

Please reconsider sticking to your allotted calories to eat per day and stay with that consistently for 3 - 4 weeks and log honestly. Going up and down in calories each day only compounds weight loss on the scale. The scale will go up and down with water retention/weight from lower carbs, sodium, hydration, changes in your deficit, muscle repair and female hormones.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You are fully capable of eating that much and more, otherwise you wouldn't have gained weight. Just re-introduce some of your old higher calorie foods to your diet and you will be able to reach your calorie goal easily. It's more than likely you are not logging correctly too. It's scary, but people who have weight issues can underestimate their intake by as much as 50%. Logging properly is key.

Also are you close to your period by any chance? Or around ovulation? Have you started a new exercise? Various factors can mask weight loss.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you dont eat enough cals.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    are you honestly trying to tell me you're too full to eat more than 800 cal in a whole day? what on earth are you eating?!
    maybe if you open your diary people will be able to give you better advice. also, maybe tell us how much weight you are trying to lose, and your current weight.
    but.. it's been nine days. give it a few more before you get too morose about whether you're losing weight.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You are eating at maintenance, and there is no way that's at roughly 800 calories per day. While there are some variations in metabolism, no one can defy the laws of thermodynamics.

Use a food scale to weigh all solids and semi-solids. Measure all liquids except water. Include condiments and cooking oils in your log. Make sure you're using solidly accurate database entries for your food.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    As others have said above, 9 days is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme.

And 600-1000 calories per day is flat out a starvation diet. It's not sustainable. If your logging is accurate and that's what you're really eating, you need to find a way to up your calories. In the short term, there's no harm. But long term you're looking at muscle loss, possible hair loss, weakness, fatigue.

What are your stats? How much are you trying to lose? How are you determining the portions you're eating? Are you weighing/measuring?

Also, sorry to pepper you with questions, but is this the first time you've weighed since you started? Did you eat a high sodium meal the day before or start a new workout? Are you close to TOM?

There are so so so many factors to consider.