Does anyone pre input food into their log?

Options
Do you plan out/input your food the previous night and abide by it? I was thinking of trying this method so that I'm more likely to be within my calories, and become more structured with my diet.

Replies

• chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If I have a busy day and I know exactly what I will be eating (I have made a packed lunch or I have got meat out for dinner) then I pre log otherwise I would probably forget. Most of the other times I log what I am eating either that morning or as I am eating it as if I pre logged everyday I would feel like I didn't have a choice if I fancied a soup instead of a salad if you know what I mean.
    Give it a try and see if it works for you :)
  • manto2112
    manto2112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I almost always do it with breakfast/dinner because I usually eat the same meals.
  • lolo_bunny
    lolo_bunny Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I pre-log for the next day and it helps me stay on track. Personally, I find it easier this way but I am more of a planner, whereas for others, it may be too structured that way. I second trying it to see if it suits your needs.
  • sporter90
    sporter90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chezzabelle i usually have busy days too, I cook at pizza place and usually have split shifts, I eat 1/4 of a half sub for lunch break with some chips then the other 1/4 for dinner, and usually know what I am having for breakfast (eggs or Greek yogurt). My problem is I end up being really hungry and drink beer and snack a lot after work (I run around a lot and just want to relax, drink and eat after work, haha) :'( . If I pre input what I am allowed for HEALTHY snacks inbetween working I think I'll have more control.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Every day :smile:
  • sporter90
    sporter90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For some reason it just dawned on me that this would be the best and easiest way to go about this app. Instead of putting everything in after each meal and snack. Didn't think of it until now! I was just wondering if anyone else did this. Although, this wouldn't work on spontaneous days out/eating out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.

Some people plan out a day or two in advance. Personally, I enter everything for the day at about lunchtime. That gives me a really good idea what I can have for the rest of the day and/or how much exercise I need to do in order to eat what I want.

I don't have many spontaneous days ... not when I'm actively losing weight. But as for eating out, if my husband and I plan to eat out one evening, while I'm sitting there at lunchtime eating lunch and entering my day, I also look up the restaurant we're going to and figure out what I can eat there and enter that.
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, its the best way for me and many others. When I'm hungry, and have to mentally on-the-spot run through all my food options, decide if I want to save calories for later, figure out how to meet my protein macro, plus fibre too it all gets a bit stressful for me lol. So yes, pre-logging ftw!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I know for sure what I'm eating, I prelog in the morning. Today I prelogged lunch and will need to go back to adjust the amounts to what I ate.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Always
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I prelog everything but my dinner, as we usually can't decide until late in the day. If I'm feeling ambitious enough, I'll prelog breakfast and lunches for the whole week as they are usually the same things during the week. Same with my morning and afternoon snacks, which is 2 coffees. This way I just have to edit amounts when I'm eating (like if my chicken wrap was 75g of chicken instead of 70g or if I used 9g of mayo instead of my usual 10g).
  • Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I should do it way more! When i prelog, I am much more likely to stay within my calorie limit than on days that I don't. It also reduces stress, because when I get hungry in the afternoon I just know how much leverage I have for snacks when my dinner is already prelogged. Problem is that most days I don't know what I'll have for dinner until 5/6 in the afternoon.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I usually prelog 2 weeks at a time. Things get moved around sometimes but, at least I know calorie wise what I can have for each meal. Very few Ppl do what I do but, I do also for groceries because then I only get what we need.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I try but it never works out because my appetite varies.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yep I pre log every meal usually a day in advance. Sometimes I change my mind for dinner depending on what I feel like eating at the time, but at least I know how many calories I can play with. Obviously I'll change the weight of the food after eating it, so I just log the weight I had the last time I ate it.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've found that pre-logging is a great way to remind myself that I wanted to eat those leftovers. :)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I pre log one to two weeks in advance. I tweak as I go, but it really helps me.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    In general yes. I pre input my breakfast, lunch and snacks as they the do vary but only but a little and all is in my recent listing. My dinner I will pre-input if I can. Often have to slightly adjust it after the meal as some ingredients are a little more or less than my guesstimate. But over time (I've logged over 950 days) even the guessing forward is turning out be pretty accurate.
    I usually re-log to the coming day at the same time that I am closing the current one
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I always pre log most of the next day (if I leave something out then this is dinner). It really helps me stay in check and be within my calorie and macro goals.