Been losing inches everywhere but my calves -- why?!?

Options
BellaBerry130
BellaBerry130 Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,
I'm just a bit confused...
Why am i not losing inches from my calves??
Is it because my main form of exercising is walking?? Should i stop walking??
I have been noticing that my pants are getting looser and looser for my thighs and waist, but the same for my calves!!! How am i supposed to find pants for my shrinking waist/thighs and forever-humongous calves?

Are there other exercises that could help slim my calves along with the rest of my body? Will stretching help? Should i run instead of walk??

I am female, mid-20s, 5'3" and currently 154 lbs. i've lost a total of 53 lbs thus far, and my calves have always been at 16 inches at the widest part. My calves are fatty, for sure, but it seems like i have a lot of muscle there. When i flex, i see a huge muscle show up that's kind of flat on the one side..(not sure if that makes sense..)

Please please help me out if you can offer helpful advice for my situation..!!!

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It will come off where it wants. Maybe your calves will be last to go. Just keep it up and fingers crossed.
  • Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If it is mostly fat, you just have to wait it out unfortunately since you can't spot reduce.

If you walk a lot, especially hills or stairs, it is possible that you have quite large calf muscles. Also a bit of genetics, my parents both have quite pronounced calves and I have the same. Besides that, I walk a lot for work and run in a hilly part of the country. Result: large calves!

Running longer distances on a flat surface while in a caloric deficit WILL break down muscle in your whole body, so probably also some calves, but I would not recommend it since it makes losing fat harder. (you burn less calories if you have less muscle)

The more you lose, the slimmer and more toned your legs are going to look if you have some muscle on them. Do you want a 'thin' look or a 'fit/toned' look? A lot of people are actually probably quite jealous since most people find it hard to train calves ;)

If I were you, I would continue losing as you planned and not worry about your calves too much. You could switch your training routine a bit to avoid walking hills. I read stretching might make a little bit of difference because your muscles will appear a little bit longer. Also keep in mind that they look much larger from above and you see them flexed or pumped up after a workout ;) So others probably don't really notice. I used to worry about my big calves as well, but the only comments I ever got have been of the admiring 'you have really well trained legs!' kind.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Embrace them <3
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I have large calves, too. They are just naturally muscle-ey and I envy my co workers when fall comes and they don their sleek suede calf length boots and I'm all like...ankle shoes please :sweat:
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Oh and mid calf pedal pushers choke the *kitten* out of me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Calves are genetic. Unless you have a lot of fat on them, they usually don't reduce much. The irony is that many people who get overweight progressively have their calf muscles grow. And reducing muscle isn't the same as reducing fat. Only way to reduce muscle is to not use it (atrophy) and unless you're willing not to walk at all, that's not going to happen. Learn to love them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alluminati
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Calves are genetic. Unless you have a lot of fat on them, they usually don't reduce much. The irony is that many people who get overweight progressively have their calf muscles grow. And reducing muscle isn't the same as reducing fat. Only way to reduce muscle is to not use it (atrophy) and unless you're willing not to walk at all, that's not going to happen. Learn to love them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yup. Most fat people Ive seen (including me)have over-developed calf muscles. I always wonder at obese people who still have skinny legs. I wonder if it gets painful.