Weigh every day or once a week?

Options
Good morning everyone! Should I weigh myself every day or just once a week if I'm wanting to lose weight?

Replies

• Jeniccm
    Jeniccm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and then log that into the happy scale app. It helps me see my trend and that downward graph is motivating
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself whenever you want. Some people prefer to weigh themselves daily to see how it fluctuates, I prefer to do it weekly as I'm not bothered how if fluctuates, I'm just interested in seeing how much I lose over time. I also go by how my clothes fit and how I look, not just what the scales say.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do whatever suits you best. Some people freak out if they weigh daily and see the fluctuations from day to day, some people freak out if the don't weigh daily to see the fluctuations from day to day. Some people just freak out over the fluctuations no matter what.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I go for every day. A lot can go wrong in a week. I checked with my constantly slim friends. They ALL said they weighted themselves every day, so I assume that's one of the reasons I put weight back on last time - the scales broke and I didn't bother to replace them!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    That really depends on what works for you, some people even weigh in every 2 weeks. I personally weigh in every day in order to get a better understanding of water weight changes and real weight loss while I am using trendweight.com. But that's just personal preference. Most people find weighing daily very stressful and prefer to do it weekly. :smile:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Seeing the ups and downs was very frustrating during weight loss but 2 years into maintenance I now know and accept those fluctuations. Apps such as happy scale or Libra are very helpful but I was not aware of them a couple of years ago. I use Libra now.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    weight once a day, once a week, once a month, doesn't really matter as long as you don't freak out over every up and down, and understand that weight loss isn't linear.

Some people weigh every day or even multiple times a day and then come on here and make a post questioning why they didn't lose weight since yesterday if they were on a deficit. Or claim that they ate Chinese takeaway and gained a kilo of fat.

weight is going to go up and down for a variety of reasons, only one of these reasons is fat.

so what ever the frequency you weigh, consistency seems to be key, to eliminate as many variables as possible. same time of day, same level of undress, before you eat, after you use the bathroom, things like that.
  • ManateToMermaid
    ManateToMermaid Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Once a day, sometimes I weigh twice (when I wake up and before I go to sleep) not to log numbers or to take notice of it but I'm just a bit obsessive, I log my weight once a week on MFP and once a day on a couple other apps, I like seeing the numbers go down and I like seeing trends in graphs
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Mostly every day but I know it's going to fluctuate with water weight, what I've been eating and 90-11 other things. I'm always pleased when it's gone down and most of the time when it's up I've been high on the sodium. Weigh when you want to but don't stress over the ups and downs. Just if it goes up and keeps going up.
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Or throw away the scale.
    Want to weigh less? Move to Mars. You'll be about 40 lbs. Don't be hung up on a number.
    Track how you feel, how your clothes fit. Or take measurements of waist, hips, arms, etc.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Your weight fluctuates alot based on different factors and you want to look at the trend
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Jeniccm wrote: »
    I weigh everyday and then log that into the happy scale app. It helps me see my trend and that downward graph is motivating

Same. I only log my new lows in MFP but I weigh every day and log into Happy Scale.
  • lindarpolk
    lindarpolk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Most people say once a week, but when I did that I found myself thinking, "I can eat this and enjoy it now, then work out hard later. I have __ days until I weigh in. I can work it all off by then.” Of course, that hard workout never happened and I didn't lose much weight. I also was too impatient to wait until my weigh-in day. Weighing every day keeps me more accountable, so I make better choices every day. I know there will be many days when I have a loss instead of a gain, and I'm ok with that. There will always be ups and downs in weight loss. Seeing little losses often is more encouraging and motivating to me because losing inches takes a lot longer to see progress. Not everybody feels the same way. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever works for you.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    KinkJarfld wrote: »
    I find every day too slow to see results. I weigh every Friday morning. This way, if I've lost, it shows and gives me that impetus to continue.

But if you've gained? I went 100 calories over yesterday with alot of salt. I weigh .8 more than yesterday but I know I didn't eat that much and it will go away. But if you only have the one data point it could get frustrating. If you don't like seeing slow progress maybe get a wifi scale and weigh Yourself with a sleep mask on
  • lenac03
    lenac03 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just do once a week, Scale Saturday. I know myself and I would tend to get obsessed with numbers, even with using Happy Scale and I'd rather just know generally the number and more specifically that my clothes are fitting better, I feel better, and I'm happier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, chart in in Excel, and am only concerned that the overall trend stays down.

Because I retain water at ovulation and right before my TOM, (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

I log my weight into MFP once a month.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    KinkJarfld wrote: »
    I find every day too slow to see results. I weigh every Friday morning. This way, if I've lost, it shows and gives me that impetus to continue.

Of course you can't see a loss from one day to the next. That's not why daily weighing is recommended, but because water weight can mask a loss, if you weigh only weekly.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month or so.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and chart in Libra, gives me a better feel for trends. If I only weighed once a week I might only see all the high weights or all the low weights which could make me think I needed to up or down my calories when in fact I'm trending down at a good rate.