Eating something before a run?

Options
Do you do this? Have half a banana before going for a run, for example?

Replies

• olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I do it when I go for long runs. Usually half large banana with a teaspoon of peanut butter. For shorter runs I don't need it. :smile:
  • maaaasha
    maaaasha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    olymp1a wrote: »
    I do it when I go for long runs. Usually half large banana with a teaspoon of peanut butter. For shorter runs I don't need it. :smile:

How long after eating do you go for the run? I feel like if I don't have a *little* something I don't have as much energy...maybe that will change the more I do it?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I run, I feel like I'll puke. :s I eat heartily before bed when I know I'll be up and running early. And have a banana as soon as I'm done.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I easy a decent breakfast about 30mins before I run. I do find I do much better if I do straight eggs before I run. If I add oatmeal or something like that I get kinda sick feeling for awhile during my run.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For 10k or greater I typically eat a bagel between 30-45 mins before I go on a run, or I'll do a banana and protein shake. between 45m-1h before a run.

For 5K - 10k I do a energy gel just before starting and one about 45 mins in.

For 5K or under I don't do anything.

*Edited for spelling correction.
  • cfsruns
    cfsruns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We are all different and you have to experiment to see what works for you. I am an early morning runner and even if it is a short run, I feel sick if I don't eat. I try to get up early enough to have a small breakfast 30 minutes before I run. Works for me but many people feel ill if they eat before they run.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    paulbrttn wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    For 10k or greater I typically eat a beagle between 30-45 mins before I go on a run, or I'll do a banana and protein shake. between 45m-1h before a run.

For 5K - 10k I do a energy gel just before starting and one about 45 mins in.

For 5K or under I don't do anything.

A whole beagle? Don't think I could manage more than a pug :D

Dang autocorrect. ... it always makes me type stuff I didn't nintendo.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything if I am going for an easy run. If I'm doing a race in the morning I eat my normal breakfast at least 2.5 hours before. If I'm doing a hard training session I have a small snack (200-250 cals with some protein & carbs) 2 hours before; same for an evening race.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I have to, otherwise I flake out too soon...I've tried the fasted cardio idea, and just about died! At least a banana, if not a piece of toast with PB..
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Running on an empty stomach makes me sick so I always eat before.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much earlier than my daughter I wake up. We go to the gym together and hit the treadmill hard. If I wake up late, then I have nothing but coffee with dark chocolate. If I wake up early as usual at least an hour before her, then I will eat something preferably high carb which also depends on other things like what is leftover from the night before.
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was just sitting here debating this as I'm getting ready to go out for a run. Back in the day it wasn't a big deal to go out and run on an empty stomach, but stove gotten older I've noticed that my energy level bottoms out if I haven't even had breakfast yet. Energy gels or beans are good for alleviating that, but in their absence I'm just going to have a piece of toast and then go out in 15-30 minutes. I'll let you know if it tastes as good coming up as it does going down.
  • start090
    start090 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato + coffee . 30 minutes before starting as a preworkout ! :))
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I eat nothing. If I run in the morning, I'm not getting up earlier to eat. I've not seen any drop in performance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. It's ok.
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I run with a group of people and there are as many different answers as there are runners in the pack! Everyone finds what works for them and goes with it. I can eat in the car on my way to a run, while others have to eat at least 2 hours prior. It's trial and error and personal. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    On week days I run after work, so it depends if I'm hungry or not to whether I have a snack. On weekends I run in the morning so have a bowl of cereal an hour/ hour and a half before my run.
  • maaaasha
    maaaasha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WWnot wrote: »
    I run with a group of people and there are as many different answers as there are runners in the pack! Everyone finds what works for them and goes with it. I can eat in the car on my way to a run, while others have to eat at least 2 hours prior. It's trial and error and personal. Good luck!

I think you're right. Trial and error is the way to go.
  • melodysf10
    melodysf10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I only run 30 minutes at a time (beginner) but I feel worse if I eat before. I run in the mornings, and all I have is a cup or two of coffee beforehand.