Being too Critical?

Options
I'm a person who really likes to have structure to their life. I enjoy keeping a planner, if I didn't I would lose my head. I love logging all my food and fitness accomplishments on MFP. As well as, using another app (Rep count) to keep track of my workouts. But I don't like that a lot of the times if I don't log anything or I have a day where I feel tired and lazy and don't do my best at tracking everything...I feel a sense of anxiousness. It's like I automatically feel overwhelmed and I kick myself for not giving each day my all. I need to learn that it's okay to not track every little detail and not be so anal about it. Any tips??

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Plan to have off-plan days. If that doesn't work, seek professional help.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No. I swing from being overy meticulous to IDGAF. I'm afraid it's part of just being me. Maybe just learn to accept how you are and stop beating yourself up over it?
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    You're a perfectionist, you like routine and dislike change. I get that, but a day off isn't going to harm your body.

There's being anxious at the right time, are you slipping days and weeks at a time? Probably not.

By actually having a day off, your actually allowing yourself time to not think about it. Dont view it as a negative.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Recognize that you are not perfect. No one expects you to be perfect. It is not possible to be perfect. However you are doing the best that you can do, TODAY, and tomorrow perhaps you will do better. Or not.

And that's okay.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    OCD?
  • zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    See a doctor you got a bigger fish to fry
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't need to be perfect, you need to be "good enough".

I do find that pre-planning and pre-logging makes it much easier. Rather than log what I eat, I eat what I logged. Helps in other ways, too, like making accurate shopping lists and planning what I will do in evenings (e.g. if I have plans, I need to plan for less time to do food).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a person who really likes to have structure to their life. I enjoy keeping a planner, if I didn't I would lose my head. I love logging all my food and fitness accomplishments on MFP. As well as, using another app (Rep count) to keep track of my workouts. But I don't like that a lot of the times if I don't log anything or I have a day where I feel tired and lazy and don't do my best at tracking everything...I feel a sense of anxiousness. It's like I automatically feel overwhelmed and I kick myself for not giving each day my all. I need to learn that it's okay to not track every little detail and not be so anal about it. Any tips??

Don't beat yourself up when you don't track perfectly. It's also okay not to track every little detail, and to diary just those things that give you an idea of what your calories are and you exercise.

I like planning too, and love tracking food and exercise. :)
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I struggle with not be able to let go of things if I feel I didn't do them the right way. Or I have to complete a task because I can't just let it sit even though it's not my responsibility. I have found that yoga and meditation help me to relax a bit and let more stuff go.