Hopefully 3rd time is a charm!

Options
MilkCartonKid
MilkCartonKid Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I have tried and failed 2 times to lose weight. I am hoping that this time I can stick with this and get healthier. Otherwise I'm going to die due to kidney failure. My doctor just told me if I cant get my diabetes under control, My body will stop trying to function and just give up. I have no one to blame but myself.. I want this time to be different

Replies

• KimLinda
    KimLinda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do it,
  • KimLinda
    KimLinda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's not necessarily easy, but it is relatively simple and it can be done - check out the Success Stories forum here for some inspiration if you need it!

Think about what methods you tried the last two times, and why they didn't work for you. Think about what you can do differently. There is a lot of helpful advice and suggestions on this site, poke around and get some ideas. (There are 'most helpful' posts listed in sticky threads at the top of many forum sections.)

If you have a large amount of weight to lose then it will probably start dropping off fairly quickly when you reduce your calorie intake, which may be very helpful to you and enable you to get more activity into your days soon. Enter your stats into your profile and choose a reasonable goal - if you've got 75lbs+ to lose then you could probably go for 2lbs/week, but for less than that I'd suggest 1lb/week. (I'm halfway through losing about 65-70lbs (36 down so far) at a rate of around 1lb/week, and I don't feel hungry or deprived most of the time.)

Make sure you get a food scale, and weigh and log everything you eat accurately. Increase your activity if you can, but don't worry too much if you can't do that right away - just reducing your calories will really help, and you can add more activity later when you feel able to. Find something you enjoy - you don't need to spend hours in a gym unless you want to! :)

Try not to change too much at once, unless you really MUST make drastic changes for your immediate health. Small changes, added to over time, can be more sustainable.

Be kind to yourself... you'll have days when you make poor choices, when the scale doesn't move, or you just feel like you can't do this and you want to give up. Don't. Stick with it. Find a way of reducing your calories that you can live with long-term - don't cut out things unless you need to for health reasons or you just can't control yourself around them. You want to avoid feeling miserable and deprived of anything delicious, if you can! Try not to think of foods as 'good' or 'bad'. (You may need to restrict sugar for your diabetes... I don't have it so can't comment on that, but I'm sure your doctor has told you what to do.)

I lost a morbidly obese friend to kidney failure... he gave up, so his body did too. Another friend (the one who told me about MFP) had a health scare and buckled down to losing the weight and getting fit. You've had your wake up call, and you know what needs to be done - this site will give you the tools to be successful at doing it. I wish you all the best!
  • JasonFaeq
    JasonFaeq Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't give up gal.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    It's not necessarily easy, but it is relatively simple and it can be done - check out the Success Stories forum here for some inspiration if you need it!

Think about what methods you tried the last two times, and why they didn't work for you. Think about what you can do differently. There is a lot of helpful advice and suggestions on this site, poke around and get some ideas. (There are 'most helpful' posts listed in sticky threads at the top of many forum sections.)

If you have a large amount of weight to lose then it will probably start dropping off fairly quickly when you reduce your calorie intake, which may be very helpful to you and enable you to get more activity into your days soon. Enter your stats into your profile and choose a reasonable goal - if you've got 75lbs+ to lose then you could probably go for 2lbs/week, but for less than that I'd suggest 1lb/week. (I'm halfway through losing about 65-70lbs (36 down so far) at a rate of around 1lb/week, and I don't feel hungry or deprived most of the time.)

Make sure you get a food scale, and weigh and log everything you eat accurately. Increase your activity if you can, but don't worry too much if you can't do that right away - just reducing your calories will really help, and you can add more activity later when you feel able to. Find something you enjoy - you don't need to spend hours in a gym unless you want to! :)

Try not to change too much at once, unless you really MUST make drastic changes for your immediate health. Small changes, added to over time, can be more sustainable.

Be kind to yourself... you'll have days when you make poor choices, when the scale doesn't move, or you just feel like you can't do this and you want to give up. Don't. Stick with it. Find a way of reducing your calories that you can live with long-term - don't cut out things unless you need to for health reasons or you just can't control yourself around them. You want to avoid feeling miserable and deprived of anything delicious, if you can! Try not to think of foods as 'good' or 'bad'. (You may need to restrict sugar for your diabetes... I don't have it so can't comment on that, but I'm sure your doctor has told you what to do.)

I lost a morbidly obese friend to kidney failure... he gave up, so his body did too. Another friend (the one who told me about MFP) had a health scare and buckled down to losing the weight and getting fit. You've had your wake up call, and you know what needs to be done - this site will give you the tools to be successful at doing it. I wish you all the best!

I second the advice to be kind to yourself. The easier and more enjoyable you can make the process, the more likely you'll stick with it.