Life Expectancy Calculator

Options
Found this life expectancy calculator that is based off of recent science

Thought it was an interesting thing to do.

I got life expectancy of 91.4 years and my biggest challenge is diet. I am not eating enough vegetables! :smiley:

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    They set me at 92 years, which is probably not far off given my family history. That said, I was a little amused at the lack of more information on diet and body composition.
  • kylohart
    kylohart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    They set me at 92 years, which is probably not far off given my family history. That said, I was a little amused at the lack of more information on diet and body composition.

Yeah, the algorithm seems be based more off of lifestyle factors than genetics
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have a 10% chance of reaching 100 at my present weight, and a 13% chance of reaching 100 at my goal weight. Perhaps I should jigger the data to assume more fruits and potatoes.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    80.4 years, because I smoke.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    91.2 years here. That's another 45 years of burning knees! (And outliving any of my family previously by a decade)
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ha! 90 years! Failed to take into account that there are more health problems than cancer, stroke, hypertension, etc. Nice to know I'd live a long and healthy life if not for my kidney disease! (Not to mention my meds cost more in a month than their yearly health care estimate...) It was fun, though. Thanks!
  • JasonFaeq
    JasonFaeq Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Life Expectancy 75.5 years
    Largest risk is Smoking
    Health age 24.5 years
    Your chances of seeing your event The IPhone 40 in 2080 are 0%
  • JasonFaeq
    Options
    The 0% is just so crushing like awh mannn.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    MhCas wrote: »

Don't let them steal your dreams, man
  • JasonFaeq
    Options
    MhCas wrote: »

Don't let them steal your dreams, man

Oh I defo won't, thanks brotha.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    93.4 yrs-ugh. It's likely, as several people in my family made it into their 90s but not sure I want to live that long. Hard day, today
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Life expectancy - 91.2 years
    Largest risk - Diet
    I lost 1.7 years because of smoking and 1.9 years due to diet.
    Health age - 38.8 years
    My chances of seeing Halley's comet return in 2061 - 65.2%
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got 92.5 and even though that's possible - - my father (a heavy smoker) lived to 89 and my mother (a cance survivor) lived to 101, but I think that's unduly optimist. Not all of us will live into our 90's.

A more realistic estimate can be obtained from insurance actuarial tables. They're more realistic because they take into account actual mortality data and the companies using them are literally betting their financial profitability and future on them.

Based on the Social Security life expectancy calculator, at 65.9 years, I have a remaining life expectancy of 18.5 years and should live to 84.4 years of age.

Of course, this calculation does not take into account individual differences - - genetics, family/medical history, diet/lifestyle choices, etc - - but, if you are planning for the "end," it's probably best to use a more conservative and less optimistic estimate.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just for *kitten* and giggles, (and because it's something I can actually verify via tracking here), I filled ou their sodium calculator and it is a joke, putting me at well over double what I actually consume.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    93 with air pollution as my biggest problem.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    87.7 for me. I'm supposed to exercise more (been pretty sedentary the past few weeks).
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    kylohart wrote: »
    Found this life expectancy calculator that is based off of recent science

Thought it was an interesting thing to do.

I got life expectancy of 91.4 years and my biggest challenge is diet. I am not eating enough vegetables! :smiley:

IT SAID I DIED 5 YEARS AGO :o

you're looking quite well for it :D
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I got 91.4 which is weird considering I drink a lot and used to be a heavy smoker. It also doesn't include things known to increase longevity (i.e. for women giving birth, especially later in life).