Not what I was expecting?

Options
Hi - it's been about two weeks of watching calories and working out 4-5 times/week. I am feeling better and have started to notice muscle tone. I was hoping that when I tried on pants that fit before I started this program they'd be a little more loose in the thigh area, but found out the opposite was true! It was so discouraging!

I've always built muscle easily, but it is not my goal to have my measurements increase. Has anyone else had this happen, where your body gets bigger from working out? I am hoping that the muscle is just building from exercise, and then the fat will start shrinking away...

By the way, my exercise includes 30-60 min of cardio (elliptical, stair machines, jogging) and I do 3 sets of 10 squats, lunges, calf raises (no weights) one day per week as part of my strength training.

Any suggestions or helpful advice?

Replies

• levjen
    levjen Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi - it's been about two weeks of watching calories and working out 4-5 times/week. I am feeling better and have started to notice muscle tone. I was hoping that when I tried on pants that fit before I started this program they'd be a little more loose in the thigh area, but found out the opposite was true! It was so discouraging!

I've always built muscle easily, but it is not my goal to have my measurements increase. Has anyone else had this happen, where your body gets bigger from working out? I am hoping that the muscle is just building from exercise, and then the fat will start shrinking away...

By the way, my exercise includes 30-60 min of cardio (elliptical, stair machines, jogging) and I do 3 sets of 10 squats, lunges, calf raises (no weights) one day per week as part of my strength training.

Any suggestions or helpful advice?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Maybe do exercise that elongates the muscles rather then compacts them, like yoga, pilates, etc?

I too..."bulk" out a bit when I work out heavily (think short little linebacker). I took time off from working out to see what would happen and lost 10 lbs... however.... things got jiggly (sooo not cool). So, when my fiance heads back to Iraq I am going to re-vamp my workouts (jiggly=bad).

It takes a long time and a lot of work to build new muscle, so you are probably just toning to muscle you already have. I wouldn't worry too much about the tight jeans. I've been on here since May and still wear the same size.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It will go down. I went through the same thing. I got bigger because of the muscle tone before I got smaller. Stick with it though, it is well worth it.
    Once the fat started melting off then I had awesome muscle tone underneath. :drinker:
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've lost 9 pounds over these last 2 months but my pants are tighter!?! It's really discouraging, but I know *hope* it'll get better.