Not what I was expecting?

Options
Hi - it's been about two weeks of watching calories and working out 4-5 times/week. I am feeling better and have started to notice muscle tone. I was hoping that when I tried on pants that fit before I started this program they'd be a little more loose in the thigh area, but found out the opposite was true! It was so discouraging!

I've always built muscle easily, but it is not my goal to have my measurements increase. Has anyone else had this happen, where your body gets bigger from working out? I am hoping that the muscle is just building from exercise, and then the fat will start shrinking away...

By the way, my exercise includes 30-60 min of cardio (elliptical, stair machines, jogging) and I do 3 sets of 10 squats, lunges, calf raises (no weights) one day per week as part of my strength training.

Any suggestions or helpful advice?

Replies

• levjen
    levjen Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi - it's been about two weeks of watching calories and working out 4-5 times/week. I am feeling better and have started to notice muscle tone. I was hoping that when I tried on pants that fit before I started this program they'd be a little more loose in the thigh area, but found out the opposite was true! It was so discouraging!

I've always built muscle easily, but it is not my goal to have my measurements increase. Has anyone else had this happen, where your body gets bigger from working out? I am hoping that the muscle is just building from exercise, and then the fat will start shrinking away...

By the way, my exercise includes 30-60 min of cardio (elliptical, stair machines, jogging) and I do 3 sets of 10 squats, lunges, calf raises (no weights) one day per week as part of my strength training.

Any suggestions or helpful advice?
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Did you try them on right after exercise, body builders do a lot of reps to look ripped before competitions. It increases after exercise because of the blood flow to the muscles and the increased size of the blood cells from oxygen.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I have to be very careful with weight workouts...I get HUGE!!! :sad:

When i ran track (i was very thin) in high school my friends all LOST weight (5-10lbs) and i GAINED weight!!! However, i was in great shape and looked good!

Assuming that you have more than a few lbs to lose (like me) as your muscles grow you thighs will too...but at the same time (possibly more slowly) you will be losing FAT so they will eventually get smaller!! You get what i'm saying? They will get bigger before they get smaller if your muscles grow like mine!

just keep it up and you will be in great shape in no time!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Also, i only do low weights with lots of reps...firms without bulking. And i dont do ANY weights with my legs...they get big enough from my cardio workouts!