Learning to Run

Options
Hi there,
I have a 9 month old baby and really want to get into better shape before I have another one. I was at my heaviest when I got pregnant and it was a difficult pregnancy. I am already 15lbs lighter then I was when I got pregnant but have a good 40-45lbs to go!
I am trying to learn to run.
I am on my 4th week now. I started my first week by running for 2 minutes and then walking for 1 minute. each week I add 1 minute to my running so now I am up to 5 minutes running and 1 minute walking. I repeat this 6 times. And go out 4 times a week. My current goal is to be able to run 5km with no walking!
I am really hoping that eventually I will go from 'oh my god!!! I'm going to die!" to "Hey, this isn't so bad..." But I'm not there yet!! I am the queen of excuses for why I can't diet or exercise so I'm hoping if I can learn to enjoy running I will have no excuse to not exercise no matter where I am. All I need is runners and off I can go!

Is anyone else out there just starting out running? How are you training? What kind of support do you have?

hope to find some fellow learners and offer some support and encouragement!!!

Shauna

Replies

• Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know that my mother (almost 50 years old) has had GREAT success with the iphone app Couch to 5k. She can outrun me!
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Congrats on your running, When I started I used the C25K program it's is awesome program and is basically what you are doing it is run and walk intervals until you are running more than your walk and increased each week.. It's a free download you can download to ipod or mp3 player and it tells you when to run and when to walk. Music is a little boring, but it's 30 minutes you can do anything for thirty minutes..

I have just decided to sign up for a 1/2 marathon in honor of a co worker we lost over the holiday so I will be running with you..

Good Luck and most importatly just get the miles in.

Laurie
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k! I'm on Week 4 Day 2 (W4D2).
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    You should try the couch to 5k app. It is really good.I used it to get myself off my lazy butt. I am running in my first event on Sunday. I will be RUNNING all the 5 km of the race and am really excited!
    If I can do it you can too. Good luck!
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I started running in 2006 using the couch to 5K program. It starts you out walking/running for 20 minutes 3 times/week. Very much like you have been doing. It is designed to get you running a 5K (3.1miles) in 9 weeks. It gradually increases the running intervals while shortening the walking intervals. There are a lot of people that have used this to start running. When I started, I couldn't run to the end of my block. I just registered for my 3rd half marathon and have done a bunch of 5, and 10K's.

You can google couch 25K or C25K.

Good luck

Mike
  • MaruManic
    MaruManic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've recently begun learning too. I do the c25k with my best friend. Its very enjoyable to catch up with her in between runs and to encourage eachother. I'm an asthmatic and have to be careful and take it slow, but I'm really learning to enjoy it.

Good luck and I hope you learn to enjoy it too!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I run very regularly now, but I can relate to everything you said because I've been there (well, other than getting pregnant :wink: )

Just wanted you to know that if I could do it, you can do it too! Sounds like you have a great plan going. Keep at it, and you will be running 5k like it's a piece of cake.

I bet by the time I hit post, someone else will already have suggested you check out the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. But just in case they didn't, "hey, check out the Couch 2 5K program!"

Happy running! And make sure you have some good running shoes, to prevent injury.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I started running I didn't know anything about programs to help me run. So, I simply did it slowly. I started off walking at a good pace and when I got used to that - I moved up my pace. Then when I felt comfortable I would add in running for 30 seconds to a minute. I just slowly increased it until I could run. :)
  • ksabey
    ksabey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi - First, congrats on your 15 pounds! I've been running for about 2 years now, but used the Couch to 5K (C25K) program when I initially started. You might want to check it out, if you haven't already. http://www.c25k.com/ You'll see you're on the right track with the alternating walking/running idea.

When I was first starting out a friend of mine who runs marathons told me that, after you can run one mile, you can pretty much run forever. I thought this was the most absurd thing I had ever heard, but it turns out he was right. I now routinely run about 4 miles each workout, three to five times a week. I could definitely run longer but I lose interest after much more than 4 miles. For a long time I worked at running longer distances each time, but at a fairly slow speed. Recently, I have been working on increasing my speed, rather than my distance. My husband also recently started running and we are now planning to run our first 10K together.

Good luck!

P.S. Good music on your iPod definitely helps the time go by quick!
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love running myself. I've been reading this book and I think it is a good one :) Keep it up!

http://www.amazon.com/Run-Your-Butt-Off-Breakthrough/dp/1605294047
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    One of my friends became a runner about a year and a half ago. After 3 babies, and absolutely NO running experience, or even a gym membership, last month she completed her second half marathon. She started a blog when she started out www.journeytothemiddle.blogspot.com, its actually featured in the Seattle pi and she was in fitness magazine a couple months ago in one of their features. Her story is truly inspirational. Take a peek at it, and scroll back to her first few posts in 2010, when she could barely run a block, its amazing. :)
  • wendyleach
    wendyleach Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am just going about it the way you are. i started running in feb and i try to go 5km every 2 weeks or so. I work out at the gym too. I am about 70lb to go. I c an only run about 2 min and a 30-60sec break. Just keep trying. I also signed up for a 10k that was may 1st. thant was good motivation. I finished in 1hr 28 min and i am registered for a half marathon in october. so i must keep running or i will be terrible in the half. good luck
  • EE0710
    EE0710 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've always been a "runner wannabe" but could never do more than maybe 1.5 miles without feeling like I was going to die. So, I signed up for a 1/2 marathon.....lol might not have been too bright but it seems to be working! hal higdon has a really cool website about running & the basics of it. I am not up to 3 miles without stopping AND just did 6 miles in 65 minutes. Might not be great but it's getting a lot easier. The best advice I received was.....when you feel like you want to stop, try to push through it. And also, running is a mental thing. I read in a magazine that if you practice running tall it will open your chest & make it easier to breathe and it's important to find a rhythm of breathing that works for you. Another thing that helped was learning that if it feels like you're having a hard time catching your breath it's because you have too much co2 inside your body so instead of focusing on the breathe in...focus on the breathe out. Hope this helps you like it has me, my first 5k is this weekend! Best of luck to you!!!:happy:
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i am also just starting to run myself.... i am doing the same run alittle, walk alittle.... I wont lie I am out of shape and it is hard. But i refuse to give up....Good Luck and keep me posted on your progress.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I just started running - outside anyway. I've been running on an elliptical indoors for about 5-6 months. My first outdoor ran, I ran two miles. I ran 2.3 miles my second run... that's all I've done so far. I'm hoping to be able to run 4-5 miles at a time in the near future. I'm not using c25k. I just run and when I need to rest, I walk, but I can go 2 miles without stopping. Hooray! :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I did exactly what you are doing with no apps, training plans etc. Each week I would increase my running intervals until I was running for 15 minutes straight and just took it from there.

C25K is a good program though. And there are a lot of websites out there that offer free plans too. I prefer runnersworld.com.
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    Thank you for all the support!!! I've been using the Runkeeper app on my phone to map my routes as well as I've programmed in my intervals so it tells me instead of me always looking t the stop watch. I'm going to try the other app everyone is talking about too!!!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Hey. Another couch to 5k fan here. I've gone from struggling to run 3 mins to now running for 30-40 mins! Love the app as its gradual and you can repeat weeks if you are struggling. Try and leave a gap for days in between to let you body heal/ rest. So 3 days a week is ideal. I use a podcast which is free from www.runningintoshape.com its set to music and has cues to help you transition from walking to running.i have runkeeper on my phone but have yet to use it. I think I will now that im getting better at it.good luck :-)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the support!!! I've been using the Runkeeper app on my phone to map my routes as well as I've programmed in my intervals so it tells me instead of me always looking t the stop watch. I'm going to try the other app everyone is talking about too!!!

Runkeeper is awesome!! I just found the "interval" piece today and I have had the app since the first of the year!!
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    I ran/walked 4.56km yesterday!!! I did it in 36 minutes with 30 minutes of that running and 6 minutes walking!! It felt really good. this week I'm increasing my running interval to 6 minutes and reducing my walking to 45 seconds. I plan to map my route to 5km and should have it done in around 30 minutes! That's my goal for this week!! Wish me luck!

Shauna