Any other ladies with PCOS

Options
I have always had trouble losing weight, but I understand a lot of the reasons now I couldn't (drinking cokes, not keeping up with my calories, and eating out all the time ). I'm very excited , I have lost 8 pounds in about 3 weeks, but my question is , ladies with PCOS, how do you eat to best help you lose weight? Any particular go to staples you all have? Feel free to add me . I would like to lose 52 more pounds, so that is going to be a long journey that I need motivation and encouragement for. I have an open diary if anyone wants to add me

Replies

• ktjo1985
    ktjo1985 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have it too. It seems like eating lower carb amounts seems to help more than anything. I've also cut back (not out) milk and dairy. That helped my skin A LOT.

Friend request sent :smile:
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and am insulin resistant. Try to keep my daily carbs down to 50-100g per day, usually on the lower end of that. I avoid low fat and no fat products as they typically add sugar to make them taste better. I have been trying lots of new recipes with a lot of success. I have lost about 19 pounds so far and just started going back to the gym, I have a long way to go.
  • katrinamarie920
    katrinamarie920 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful I am just beginning my journey and struggle with pcos I've been so nervous as its made losing weight hard in the past and then I give up!
  • samanthuhhjoo
    samanthuhhjoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PCOS is no fun. Thank you guys for sharing the advice and tips!
  • saratzavala
    saratzavala Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Im a cyster! Lol and it sucks so bad!!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    There's a group on here you might find helpful http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

I'm down 108 lbs, so it can be done. It's slow, but it's still happening.
  • ashluv2sing
    ashluv2sing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i have it as well. Been working on trying what works best for me. Just starting back on here after having a baby last year. Gotta get back on track!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, have been having good results with Ketogenic (low-carb, high-fat) eating. I'll add you :)
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS with insulin resistance as well as hypothyroid. I've been doing really well since I started eating low carb high fat.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and do better with lower carbs. I've lost 23 lbs since July 2nd so it does work. Just keep logging everything :)
  • drea218
    drea218 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, have been trying to lose weight since January and have only dropped about 15 pounds in those 8 months. Starting a LCHF diet now as I have about 50 pounds to lose so definitely would love to friend some of you girls!
  • ccitarelli
    ccitarelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately. I can identify. I've only been back on the wagon for 5 weeks but getting very frustrated already at not seeing the scale budge. I've actually gained a pound. Lots of water, low carb, low sugar, high fiber, high protein, no dairy, no white flour and 1220 calories. I've even started taking supplements of vitamin D, Vitamin B complex, magnesium and omega 3 over the past week and a half. Still nothing. And if I read or hear from one more person who questions the accuracy and truthfulness of my food diary and what I'm "secretly" eating, I think I might scream! I wish they had to starve for weeks to see no results so they could understand. I haven't even been able to find a doctor that believes me! Anyway, if anyone on here has tips or can see something that I'm missing, I welcome the advice! And good luck to you also!
  • Ronicole1989
    Ronicole1989 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I just found out I have pcos about a year ago. My doctor asked if I wanted to try the gastric bypass but I am not comfortable with surgery. I am seeing a endocrinologist in a few months to hopefully help with the hormone problems to sort out some symptoms.

Has anyone tried a naturopath for pcos?

Feel free to add me :)
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was officially diagonosed with PCOS at the end of last year. My doctor put me on the pill but suggested I try to lose weight, she said even 15 lbs would help. Well, I've already lost nearly 30, and hope to lose at least 50 by the time I have my yearly checkup! I'm willing to bet most of her patients she tells to lose weight don't do it, so I think she will be pleasantly surprised. This is one doctor's appointment I am really excited for!! :)
  • scooterjen
    scooterjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with PCOS for years. Feel free to add me.
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Low carb and a few supplements that help with hormones/insulin work for me. I've lost (and kept off) 30 lbs over the past 2 years (lost it in spurts, also watched what I ate & exercised in spurts). I still have about 40 to go. The first 20 was a struggle to lose (eating all foods in moderation and killing myself with exercise), the last 10 was a breeze with a low carb diet, eating the same amount of calories, and not really exercising at all.
  • manto2112
    manto2112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and started logging on August 2nd, 5kg lost in a bit less of a month :)
    I still eat lots of carbs but always try to stay under my deficit.
  • Peach_Sky
    Peach_Sky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 and have PCOS, I love carbs and have never been able to cut them out. I did switch to whole grain everything! I have been all over the place weight wise. I'll do good for a while a drop the lbs and then gain it all back. I have a toddler now and I don't want to be one of those half ton moms that can't play/enjoy their child. So I'm back at it! Any-one is free to add me. I would love the extra support and I'd love to be able to help motivate as well.