I need help (Good freezer foods)

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
My fridge is broken and Its been broken for a few weeks, Cant get a new one for a few more. Anything fresh i put into the fridge moulds within a day its actually pretty weird. I am also struggling with a fruit fly problem so fresh fruits and veggies currently arent much of an option. I have lost 40 pounds so far eating 95% fresh foods so im not exactly new to this.

I have been living off my little homemade tv dinners I make and put in freezer, They contain:

Small amount of chicken
broccoli
cauliflower
6 bean blend
green beans
peppers
edamame
onions
Some contain potatoes

Im sure im missing a few veggies but its pretty much all veggies with some chicken and a little gravy over them. Each one adds to 350 calories and has super high protein and fiber, And low sodium/ sugar so its not terrible.

I feel great eating this but i worry it doesn't give me all I need in my diet (plus it gets pretty boring :p), But im not entirely sure what i can eat to fill the gaps? All threads just say add all the fresh fruits and veggies in! but as thats not an option for me for atleast another month im very confused.
Any freezer foods that are nice and nutritious and preferably low sodium would help :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Living without a fridge, that's a challenge. You have to think outside the box :D

You are only looking for dinners, right? Do they have to be complete meals? If not - and anyway, since I'm not one for suggesting recipes - you can eat practically any combination of protein, starch and veg. Avoid potatoes and fresh fruit and vegetables, but you could buy just what you can cook/freeze the same day. Go for pasta, rice, bulghur/couscous. Lentils don't need soaking and cook fast. Any single frozen meat or fish or shellfish, or buy fresh and freeze in portions. Frozen vegetables, I'm sure you have a lot more variety than we have here in Norway. Canned tuna, beans and tomatoes. Oil, not butter, it will go rancid. How is your policy on eggs - can they be kept in room temperature?

Sodium will not be an issue because you'll be adding the amount of salt you need. I hope you don't have to watch sodium levels in produce?
  • theresakruse48
    theresakruse48 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can freeze grapes! They are yummy that way
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Is watching sodium in produce a thing people do XD ? Only in frozen veggies do i look out for sodium. I dont use oils or butters so that works. I guess your suggesting to do what im doing just with different "flavours" and meats. Could be smart really to mix my veggies into different meals It gets pretty boring eating the same mashup of the same veggies at every meal :p
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    omg when i was vegan for 9 years i used to eat frozen grapes! i totally forgot about that. Used to be so good and took time to eat. I havent bought grapes in ages because once their even a tiny bit squishy i cant eat them XD thanks for reminding me :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's a relief :D Yes, some people have to do that, and even watch potassium, I can't start to imagine how restrictive that must be. I should think that frozen veggies are only that, do some really have added salt? I think it's very important to mix up veggies and other things - that you are bored isn't just you being snobbish, it's your body craving other nutrients. It's a good thing that you aren't picky.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Nah i think it is me being snobbish :p I feel fine my energy levels are great i feel light and floaty, No bloating my acne is clearing. I feel lovely. I just truely hate eating the same veggies constantly XD
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    How about using a cooler? You can make ice in your freezer to use in the cooler to keep fresh fruit and fresh veggies. (or am I missing something here?)
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    How about using a cooler? You can make ice in your freezer to use in the cooler to keep fresh fruit and fresh veggies. (or am I missing something here?)

Thats a good idea if i thought of it earlier in this mess id of done it. Cant afford a good cooler right now im saving desperatly for the new fridge :p Good thought though.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have any in your pantry, apple cider vinegar is great for fruit flies. I just pour a little in a small cup and leave where they're most prevalent. Within a day or two I don't have a problem anymore.
  • GodDamnitAngel
    GodDamnitAngel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student, so my mom knows I don't have much time for cooking, so what she does is makes different kinds of soups with different veggies/meats/ whatever you want in the soup and then freezes it. I can stick it in the microwave later on for a few minutes and then boom, nice home cooked filling meal. (Just pay attention to sodium content in the soups)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Frozen fish filets, chicken breasts, fruit, and veggies.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Well, if you have any in your pantry, apple cider vinegar is great for fruit flies. I just pour a little in a small cup and leave where they're most prevalent. Within a day or two I don't have a problem anymore.

I will try this :o!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I cook soup, stew, chili, stir fry, curry, meatballs, burritos, meatloaf muffins, casseroles, nuggets, stuffed peppers, cauli-rice, grains, beans, and all kinds of sauces - some things I flash freeze, others I freeze just in portioned containers.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    So, the freezer compartment works but the fridge doesn't? Have you had it looked at? Or is the freezer a separate unit?

I freeze individual portions of whatever I cook. Chili, lentils, stir fry...you name it, That way nothing goes bad and I always have a nice selection of home cooked (and pre weighed, measured) foods in my freezer for days when I'm too tired to cook.