New Mom-- How can I get rid of this weight??

Eribeth
Eribeth Posts: 5 Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 28 year old new mom. I wasn't too concerned about gaining weight during my pregnancy (I thought it was normal!), and to be honest, I didn't even own a scale before I got pregnant :p

At my last dr's appointment before delivery, I topped the scales at 220 lbs!! Prior to being pregnant, the heaviest I had ever been was 180ish....I figured that the weight would just kind on fall off naturally (like magic somehow) after the baby arrived, especially since I'm nursing (isn't that supposed to burn obscene amounts of calories on its own?).

Well, my son is now 5 months old, and the weight is not coming off :( I've started trying to work out every other day (either walking the dogs or some kind of workout DVD), but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. I figure this must mean that i'm not eating well enough. MFP tells me I should be having around 1300 calories/day, but i've been giving myself a pat on the back as long as I stay under 2000. I feel hungry ALL the time, and I've just put it down to the fact that i'm nursing, but maybe i'm giving myself too much leeway? Can anyone offer any insight??

On a more positive note, this site is great!!! Love all the optimism, enthusiasm, and positivity!!

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Make sure you record the fact that your breastfeeding.... that will give you more calories thru out the day. & drink more water.... Feeling hungry n thirsty can feel the same....
  • Awww, sounds tough at the moment sorry about that.

I wouldnt be too tough on yourself - if you are breastfeeding then you shouldnt go below 1500 calories minimum per day, if you go below that then it COULD affect your supply. The website kellymom.com is great for breastfeeding information by the way, and it has a bit of info on nutrition while breastfeding.

Do you think you could set a calorie limit of around 1800? knocking those 200 cals off per day might give you a little kick start?

Good luck and dont give up!

Louise x
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Make sure you record the fact that your breastfeeding.... that will give you more calories thru out the day. & drink more water.... Feeling hungry n thirsty can feel the same....
  • I find myself hungry too and I walk daily , running is to hard for me as I have other medical issues. I try to drink water before I eat and I do want when its not a meal I grab a fruit or veggie. This site is awesome for encouragement I just wish the weight would melt away faster lol
  • dwyerke
    dwyerke Posts: 6
    I did not breastfeed, but with both of my pregnancies it took a good 9 months before I lost all of my baby weight.
    everyone says "9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off" and for me that was true! Good luck! :smile:
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Congrats on your baby!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, contrary to popular belief, not all nursing moms just drop the pounds. I was one of them. With my second I only gained 21 lbs, so thought it will come off in no time. 14 months after having her I still was 12 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. That was about a month ago. That is also when my daughter weaned. Since then, I have lost 8 lbs!!

I was also STARVING while nursing. Probably more so than while pregnant. And while I tried to make healthy food choices, I ate as I was hungry. If I didn't, I was losing milk supply.

So as frustrating as it is, I'd just be patient and know that the weight will eventually come off, you may just need to wait to see drastic results until after you stop breastfeeding.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Congratulations on your new baby! Unfortunately, breastfeeding doesn't always mean easy weight loss. It worked for my first, but not the last 3. Be sure to add at least 300 calories to what MFP says you should have. You can change your daily allowance manually under your goals or you can add it under food. Be sure to drink plenty of water and eat a balanced diet. You can do it. I did. I'm about 30 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight now. My baby is 8.5 months old.

Good luck!
  • Everyone is different. It took me 13 months to finally lose the weight I gained with my pregnancy and I gained 35 lbs. I thought that people who didn't lose the weight by the time their child was 6 months weren't working hard enough it at before I got pregnant. Boy I guess I got what I deserved! It's really frusterating to see some people who lose it in like 6 weeks and it took me so long to do it. I will say that I never had to work as hard as I do now to get the weight off. Just keep plugging at it and it will come off and don't give up!
  • Eribeth
    Eribeth Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks so much for the support ladies!

I guess 1800 cal/day may be a good spot to start :p Other than that, i'll just keep trying, and hope it'll come off easier when baby boy is finished with the nursing!
  • supathick
    supathick Posts: 1
    After 2 pregnancies, i weighed in at around 230 shortly after my last delivery. i was just disgusted by the way i looked to a fact that i avoided being photographed and avoided mirrors. My belly flap looked like the top of an envelope, how embarassing.When i joined MFP i was about 214; keeping up with what i eat and exercise is what is making my weight loss successful.I try to take in at least 1700 calories at the most and get on my treadmill for 30 minutes 2x a day. As a new mom myself I want you to strive to acheive the body YOU want. Eliminate every and all negativety on your journey.

6118513.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Congrats on the new baby. My baby is also 5 months. I almost hit the 200 mark but thankfully never did. Now I'm 185 and looking to lose 40. Pre pre-pregnancy. I was a little overweight to begin with. I am also work full time and am still trying to figure out the balance of the whole thing. I stopped breastfeeding at 2 months :( not by choice. I just didn't produce enough...tried everything. So here it is. I've been stuck at my current weight it seems like forever but I'm going to try something new. Good luck and add me if you want. I love MFP