Favorite birthday cake?

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Someone asked me to bring a birthday cake for tomorrow. One of them wants chocolate, but the last two birthday cakes I've made have been chocolate, and it's too hot for me for chocolate (although I suppose that it wouldn't be a bad thing as I can easily pass on it that way).

She said I can just buy one too, but what's the fun in that? So... what would be your favorite birthday cake recipe? (the chocolate one I've been making is http://addapinch.com/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/).

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    My husband is not a chocolate fan so this is my go to yellow cake for him. It uses buttermilk which makes it tasty.
    http://www.browneyedbaker.com/yellow-cake-chocolate-frosting/

I love chocolate but I don't have cake on my birthday I eat chocolates. However I do make this cake during the holidays, it's chocolate gingerbread and its moist and to die for.
    http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/12/chocolate-gingerbread-cake-recipe/

I also have a nice red velvet one that I had to go thru 3 recipes to find. I can't seem to find it online atm cuz I had a beer.
    Eta found it. Apparently she changed her name from Crumb Boss to Gretchen. Very moist and fluffy and delicious.
    http://www.gretchensbakery.com/red-velvet-cake-recipe/
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    The Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate recipe, both the cake and the icing, from the Hershey tin, made with the Special Dark cocoa. Very moist, orgasmically rich. Hands down my favorite. https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/en_US/recipes/184/hersheys-perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-cake.html
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    My boyfriend swears he hates chocolate, and yet his favorite cake is... red velvet. lol. I don't have a recipe for one but I'm sure a quick google search will find a good one for you. It is chocolate cake so it'd make your recipient happy, but it isn't a "death by chocolate" taste so it wouldn't be so heavy for the heat.

My favorite cake, however, is the berry chantilly cake from Whole Foods, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise that it's the best cake in existence lol. :p
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Too hot for chocolate? Maybe chocolate ice cream cake? I followed a "recipe" one time by stacking ice cream sammiches and then covering it in chocolate frosting.

Chocolate cake that beats the heat!
  • Francl27
    Too hot for chocolate? Maybe chocolate ice cream cake? I followed a "recipe" one time by stacking ice cream sammiches and then covering it in chocolate frosting.

Chocolate cake that beats the heat!

We have to drive one hour so that's out :(
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Unless you are willing to pack it in a cooler with dry ice, yes.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

We have to drive one hour so that's out :(

Could you not buy the ingredients near to where you are going and make it there?

My children LOVE ice-cream cake. Line a small mixing bowl with cling film, line that with cake (swiss roll works well), pack the middle with ice-cream (small mixing bowl takes about a litre of ice-cream), turn out et voila - instant "cake". Prep time = 10 mins

• mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    The correct answer is and always will be....all of them.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Why bake one when I can buy a Nothing Bundt Cake? Mmmmmmmm lemon is my favorite! White chocolate raspberry is tied for second with Red Velvet.
  • Wattyz
    Wattyz Posts: 91 Member
    Hummingbird cake is my favorite.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Fruit cake, best cake there is.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Wattyz wrote: »

That is a new favorite of mine! I only recently discovered it. How could I have missed out on this earlier in life!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    My grandma always makes a variation on this. Boxed cake mix (usually spice cake) and a can of fruit pie filling (usually Apple), 3 egg whites, one egg.

I just don't recommend lemon cake and blueberry pie filling. It tastes like fruit loops. But Devils food plus cherry is always pretty yum.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Wattyz wrote: »

That is a new favorite of mine! I only recently discovered it. How could I have missed out on this earlier in life!

I literally just found out about Hummingbird cake this summer too, lol! My friend made it for a party she had, very delicious.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I work at a health food-type store with an attached cafe, and they made a delicious cake for my surprise birthday party the other week. Basically, they took Flax4Life flaxseed brownie muffins and pressed them into the bottom of a springform pan to form a crust, spread SO Delicious Cookies 'N Cream coconut milk ice cream on top of them, spread SO Delicious Cocowhip on top of that, and then sprinkled the top with cacao powder, crushed cacao nibs, and flaked coconut. It was SO good! :p
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'd want peanut butter pie.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited August 2016
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'd want peanut butter pie.
    Me too. Unfortunately, most of my family prefers simpler foods.

http://www.jocooks.com/bakery/cakes/nutella-magic-cake/
    I made this last week to justify replacing the Nutella I didn't like with cookie butter. It was gone after a few days.
  • Francl27
    I REALLY want to try one of those magic cakes one day!

But the store bought cake is winning this time (Whole Foods has a great bakery section here). I would have made a simple cake but they probably want frosting and stuff... so bleh. Too hot and too tired to bother baking this time.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've bookmarked some of those for next time!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited August 2016
    My best friend made me a 4 layer beauty of a birthday cake a few years back - one layer was espresso flavour, then chocolate, then sort of milky coffee, then vanilla, sandwiched together with butter icing and then covered in the stuff as well, decorated on top with chocolate covered coffee beans.

It was tremendous. It fed a good 10-15 people and I ate about 3 1lb slices of that thing to myself.

She also made me a banoffee flavour birthday cake for my 21st, decorate with candy bananas and a royal-icing-monkey.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Chocolate with a boiled condensed milk "icing".