Water intake?

How many ounces of water do you guys get in a day? I've heard some say 64oz and I've also heard for weightloss you need to drink like 0.5 ounce per pound you weigh. Or maybe you're following a different rule?

Just curious. I alway get in at least 64oz but I've been trying to get in more.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I eat my water and drink my water. I also have added a.m. coffee, tea, milk. You don't have to drink just water. I personally have a little higher hydration needs due to my exercise. So I might drink more "stuff" than the average person. And to use water for weight loss? This does not help for weight loss or moreover fat loss. It is for hydration needs only.

Keep in mind drinking too much water can counter balance electrolytes so you can drink too much. You will get a ton of varying answers on this question.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    The most general rule is to drink enough water that you pee light to clear.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Water isn't a magical weight loss elixir.

Some people can think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty. If I'm not sure, I'll drink some water and then wait 30 minutes to see if I'm still feeling hungry.

Water helps with digestion and can make your stomach more full while you are eating so that you fill up sooner with less food. That helps with reducing your food portions, especially when you are just starting to get used to smaller portions.

You don't need to make yourself drink when you aren't thirsty as long as your urine isn't dark.
  • lovely_curves
    lovely_curves Posts: 11 Member
    I never said it was magical. I was referring to how drinking water will help with portion control, as you mentioned.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I don't tend to drink it, I stick to tea and diet soda
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Water does not help me portion control, the last thing I want when hungry is water. Portion control is done through calorie awareness and I get water from the beverages I drink and the food I eat. I go by my pee color.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I don't track water. I've narrowed my tracking down to the things that matter most. I put water intake into the breathing category. I have a glass of water every morning, before I work out, several during my workouts, at least one or two every meal, and I keep water on my bedside table. I also drink a couple of diet sodas a day, and three or four cups of coffee. I see no reason to track something that has no calories and is not something I lack as a result of regular habits. That said, if you are a person who really forgets to take in enough fluids, then by all means track it. I just can't imagine not being thirsty.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    I don't really track my water, I have a 1/2 gallon bottle which I drink 2 or 3 a day of and then a few glasses during the day at work.
  • niecystar77
    niecystar77 Posts: 15 Member
    I usually have some water with lemon in the morning. Coffee when I get to work and water for the rest of the day.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    I drink 2-3 gallons a day
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    I don't strictly count it, but I drink 2000-2500ml (67-84oz.) per day on average, and in addition to that I also drink 4-5 teas which are around 400ml each.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    edited August 2016
    Everyone's water intake will vary depending on activity. If your urine is a light yellow, you're most likely okay. IF you notice your urine is a dark yellow, you can increase your fluids. I tend to drink about a gallon a day. I've heard a couple people say that drinking water before a meal has helped them control their portion sizes, it's never worked for me.
  • graceklaas03
    graceklaas03 Posts: 19 Member
    I recently had water poisoning because of drinking a lot of water and I was hospitalised which was very scary for me as I almost died. 2000ml-2500ml is fine and that should include your tea, coffee or juice.