How do I lose weight in my thighs?

Options
I have been working pretty hard on a weight loss goal. Recently I found some measurements from 3 years ago and decided to compare with my current measurements.
How is it that I haven't lost any inches in my thighs?!
Does anyone have a recommendation for targeting this specific area?
Over three weeks ago, I joined the gym at work. I have been working out 4-5 days a week. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me, as I haven't been to a gym for over 10 years. And I certainly didn't go this regularly back then either.
I would also love any advice on getting rid of my 'chicken wings'!!! Lol
At my heaviest, about 9 years ago, I was 298. I fluctuated downward from there and I'm now down to 220 and it feels good! My goal is between 180 for now, will reevaluate when I get there.
One more thing...I'm doing cardio and weights at the gym.
Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!
k2hf45uycqtd.jpeg

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    lose more weight overall
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, unfortunately. If you have fat on your thighs, it may be genetic and there's not much to fix that.

But if you continue to lose weight all over, it will come off eventually.
  • Sandysphat
    Sandysphat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Look for a lot of lower focus exercises, eat right.
  • ccprawak
    ccprawak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Silveregergy,
    Wow, you are doing great. I am where you were a couple of years ago. So good job and I am inspired by you. I have always had a tendency to heavy legs and the only time I had success in that endeavor was when I was much slimmer, was doing a lot of lower half exercises, and the big difference was in muscle build-up which gave my legs way more definition. So, my 2 cents worth, you are on the right track. Don't worry about it for now and re-evaluated when you get to your next milestone.

What a great job you are doing.

Cindy
  • Sandysphat
    Sandysphat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Check out T25, workouts, it will shape you head to toe, my inner thighs are shaping up, my thighs have never been toned.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight or fat on them without keeping your self in a deficit. It will come off every where and as it feels like.

You can work on your legs though, do a lot of weighted squats etc. Mainly though it is just to keep losing weight and it will happen in time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is very common for women to find that their thigh fat is some of the last to go. The only thing you can do is continue to lose fat overall. You're doing a great job. Keep it up!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You're doing great so far so just keep it up. If you're anything like me your thighs will be the last place you lose. Eventually they'll catch up. Don't get discouraged. We all have that spot that fights us.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I sure wish there was a way to spot reduce, but sorry!
    :'(
    Spot reduction not a possibility, but one would never know considering all the bogus products being sold that claim to do just that.
    tvv9n19kcjgp.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Chicken wings and thighs.. :) I saw where you mentioned both not just thighs.

Keep losing weight. Are you interested in body composition changes in the term of lifting weights or body weight exercising for both the lower and upper body? Do this while loosing weight, you will be able to do a lot in terms of changing the bodies shape and you will also be able to maintain your current mass while eating at a calorie deficit as when you loose weight you loose fat, water and muscle.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Lose more weight. Lower body workouts won't tone, but rather increase muscle mass and strength
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce unfortunately. If you lose more weight overall you should see more coming off of your thighs. You can try and do some more weights exercises for the areas you want to focus on as this will help increase muscle tone but really the only thing you can do is decrease overall body fat! Best of luck :smile:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It maybe that you are training more heavily on legs and possibly retaining water. The swelling may reduce once you reach a maintenance training level and your bodyweight comes down.

Also Running 2-3 miles three times a week seems to help slim my legs. But it may be is that I am more at a deficit when I run than when I mainly train weights.

So keep in mind the water retention with weight training while staying the deficit course.

• KarenEH162
    KarenEH162 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reducing. I agree with what others are saying here. You need to tone all over. You must be in a deficit. Water retention is a big problem for me but I am on meds that cause this so I have a double problem there. I drink a gallon of H2O everyday. That seems to help with the retention. Try it. It really does help. Be consistant about it. Don't slack off. You will notice a difference if you keep up with the H2O.
  • sylverenergy
    sylverenergy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded!
    I have been using MFP to keep track of my calories and try to lose a pound a week. I've been able to maintain the calorie deficit 5-6 days a week and close on the other 1-2. Losing weight, eating right, exercising isn't the problem. I was just surprised how many inches I've lost everywhere else, but the thighs stay the same!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded!
    I have been using MFP to keep track of my calories and try to lose a pound a week. I've been able to maintain the calorie deficit 5-6 days a week and close on the other 1-2. Losing weight, eating right, exercising isn't the problem. I was just surprised how many inches I've lost everywhere else, but the thighs stay the same!
    Your genetics are keeping fat on your legs. Last to lose, first to gain. There's not much you can do except continue losing weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png