How do you log P90X workouts?

Options
I'm currently logging it as "circuit training" per my husband...but I'm wondering if that's accurate? If not, how should I be logging it?

Replies

• anhaab
    anhaab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can create a new customized workout (use calories burned from a HRM) - that's what I do for mine.
  • teeny1973
    teeny1973 Posts: 18
    Options
    From what I have gathered...p90x burns about 600 calories a workout. If you find something comparable that should work. I think I used aerobics last time and it was about the same calorie burn.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor.
    Go to Exercise tab, then enter P90X Cardio X, a message will pop up that says it's not in the database, towards the bottom of the screen click on: Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database. Then add in the name, time, and calories burned.

You don't burn 600 calories per workout. i can only burn 100 calories during X Stretch, 350-400 during weight days, 600-700 during plyometrics. Best to use a heart rate monitor.
  • teeny1973
    teeny1973 Posts: 18
    Options
    It does depend on the DVD but I have found that 600 is an average but everyone is different.
  • healthyfat
    healthyfat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Best to get a heart rate monitor and add it into data base. Ive been doing that for the Insanity workouts. Calorie burn varies so much. If I burn 800 cals in a plyo workout then, have my wife do the same workout, similar heart rate but she burns closer to 600.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    When you go to log your exercise you can search for "Calisthenics" and then use the choicer that says "vigorous effort" and enter your time. My new HRM arrived today so I will probably follow that from here on out. My HRM logged tonight's Insanity workout as 327 calories and using the Calisthenics entry on MFP it came up as 290. Not too far off.

Yes, this is low for the Insanity workout...I was dogging it tonight. :-)
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the good ol' heart rate monitor answer. It is SO worth the investment!
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor.
    Go to Exercise tab, then enter P90X Cardio X, a message will pop up that says it's not in the database, towards the bottom of the screen click on: Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database. Then add in the name, time, and calories burned.

You don't burn 600 calories per workout. i can only burn 100 calories during X Stretch, 350-400 during weight days, 600-700 during plyometrics. Best to use a heart rate monitor.

This. Agree. Use a HRM.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Definitely best to have a HRM since everyone will burn calories at different rates. I don't burn anywhere close to 600, more like between 250 and 350 on weights and between 500 and 550 on plyo. It really depends on the person, but I would be careful not to over-estimate your burn, especially if you're eating back your exercise calories.
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    I don't do P90X but I do INSANITY.....I found that once I purchase a HRM and got actual burn I was much more successful on here....I had been using aerobics and MFP gave me a burn of nearly 200 to 300 more than my actual burn once I had a HRM. This of course was not good when eating back calories :-( If you are serious about making excercise part of your lifestyle....and HRM is a must in my opinion....
  • FlackAttack55
    FlackAttack55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It really depends on a lot of math. But to make it easier, they say that it is 600. I use the circuit training from the list since that is basically what P90X is. Lots of circuits with little rest. Plus since your weight should already be logged into myfitnesspal, you should have a rough estimate of what you burned.

HRMs are great if its just for cardio days like plyo, kempo or cardio, but are misleading on the weight training days.

Hope this helps and good luck P90x-ing it up!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What causes the HRM to be misleading for weight training days?