Plantar fasciitis

Options
I've dealt with heel pain for a while now (a few years). Usually in the mornings, and it never lasted. Lately, I've started running more and my left heel hurts some mornings and when I get up from the couch at night, but stop hurting after a little while.

This morning, I have to do a 4 mile run. I haven't ran in almost 3 weeks, and usually run about 3-3.5 miles. My heel really started to hurt around 2.5 and by the end it was every single step. Now, it's 4 hours later and I can barely walk. Holy moly this hurts. Right up there with appendicitis and childbirth.

The emergency walk-in is closed, and I don't think this is ER worthy. I'll call my foot Dr. in the AM. Ice and naproxen for swelling.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not looking for medical advice, but wondering if this sounds "normal" for this type of issue.

Replies

• JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. When I put my right foot in the floor in the morning when I get out of bed that pain is excruciating. I can barely stand on it. Though it does eases up after walking for a while it still lingers. After a strenuous workout its almost impossible for me to stand or walk on my foot.
    I talked to my doctor about it and she said ibuprofen (which helps if I take 4 at a time) ice, and resting the foot should help. In worse cases physical therapy may be an option.
    No I don't think the type of pain u are feeling is normal so please try to relax and hopefully your foot doctor will have a plan on how to treat it.Good luck.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are in a lot of pain. For some quick answers, here is a thread where people offer solutions that have helped them:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10443043/plantar-fasciitis-help
    Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!
  • speedfreak75
    speedfreak75 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i had it for years and tried everything. it wasn't until i switched to a lower carb diet that i got any relief. you can also freeze a water bottle and roll your foot on it to stretch out tissue.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hurting first thing in the morning makes me think it is plantar fasciitis. The pain is due to the plantar fascia being too tight. Running on it may have injured it. When you heal, make sure your running shoes have better arch support.
  • oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with PF for years-not sure if that will be your diagnosis, but I can tell what's helped me a bit over the years. I ended up with PF when I worked at a hospital and had to walk all day in flat dress shoes. At the time, physical therapy was easily prescribed (not so much anymore) and I had great success after 16 sessions. I still do the stretches I learned there. If you check out You Tube and search under PF/podiatrist, there are a few great videos to show you basic stretches that really help. I would also recommend wearing good quality shoes or getting inserts and stick with those for awhile-I find that switching up my shoes (especially with summer sandals) can make it flare. Freeze a water bottle and roll your foot over it-that also helps a lot. I have a flare going on now, so I feel your pain! Hopefully your podiatrist will be helpful and prescribe PT or "the boot". I've not tried the cortisone shots, but those may help too. Good luck!!
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, it does sound like Plantar Fasciitis. I have had that as well. Do some ankle stretches before you get out of bed. Alphabit stretch and ankles stretches work well. Continue to do these stretches throughout the day as well. Good supportive shoes also help.

WOuld also suggest to see your doctor. Depending on how bad it is, orthotics will also help. I now wear them and it helps alot.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Get K-T tape and you should be back in business quickly. I've been there, done that, feel your pain. My sister turned me on to the tape when I was hurting just like you and it literally eliminated the pain as soon as I applied it. YouTube has videos on how to tape the foot properly. I spray pre-tape adhesive beforehand and it stays on for 3-4 days. You can do stretches on a ball with the tape on.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The sneakers I run in do have excellent support and normally I don't have any issues running. I have orthotics because of a toe issue, but they hurt to wear while running, so I leave them in the sneakers I wear to my MMA class. I think just not running for almost 3 weeks AND upping it to 4 miles was the kicker. I hope it's JUST PF and not something worse. Can't tell you how painful this is. It still hurts even when there's no pressure on it :-( I've been stretching and keeping ice on it. SLD...I have the tape and I'll try it and see if I can get some relief. I've had to tape my toe and keep forgetting to get that spray so the tape sticks longer!! Thanks for the link Janettles.