Morning run on empty stomach?

Options
In the past I heard that doing cardio burns fat when your body is in a fasted state. I wake up every morning at 5:30. Should I eat something light, wait 30 min, and then run? any other suggestions?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    As long as your daily calories remain constant, fasted cardio will be no different than fed cardio
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns calories not fat.

It makes zero difference as long as you are eating in a deficit on average.

Eat or don't eat whatever makes you more comfortable with the energy you need.
  • mean_jeannie
    mean_jeannie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on empty in the morning. For me it's a time preservation issue. I'd rather do the run and then eat.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run empty (early morning run), my stomach gets upset fairly easily so I wait until evening to eat.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on empty in the morning. For me it's a time preservation issue. I'd rather do the run and then eat.

AlphaHowls wrote: »
    I prefer to run empty (early morning run), my stomach gets upset fairly easily so I wait until evening to eat.

Don't you ever feel dizzy when doing a fasted run?

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Personally, the difference between having a light meal (for me that's usually a protein bar and a cheese stick) 20 minutes before running and eating nothing is huge. If I eat nothing, I burn out fast and feel awful. I don't even think I can get a mile in before I'm crashing and feeling ill. I can't eat a large meal either. That just makes me sluggish. But if I eat something light I'm good to go and can run forever. It's going to be different for everyone. Just do what works best for you! :)
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As long as your daily calories remain constant, fasted cardio will be no different than fed cardio
    There was a ton of bro-science about this for years, but nothing has been validated.
    Personal experience is not science, but here goes.

This seemed to work for me, but my results could be coming from other factors, so I can't really say for sure. I do it as part of Intermittent Fasting.
    Sometimes I just need to try things for myself.
    My suggestion to the OP is try it out yourself for 6 weeks, and just see what happens. Post your results one way or the other.
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I exercise/run in the early morning. I haven't eaten anything since dinner the evening before and don't eat until lunch. I find this helps me maintain my calorie deficit and I'm losing weight (Intermittent fasting; 14 hr fasting/10 hr eating window). Like others have said here and in other threads, it doesn't matter when you eat or exercise, but if you maintain an appropriate deficit.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It might depend on how far you're going to run, but it's often better to eat something before you run.

From the Australian Institute of Sport:

"Many athletes put a lot of emphasis on the pre-event meal believing it is the key element to performance. It is important to remember that food eaten throughout the training week and food and fluid consumed during the event is just as important. Consuming food and fluid before exercise should be seen as an opportunity to fine-tune carbohydrate and fluid levels and to ensure you feel comfortable and confident.

When should I eat?

Food consumed before exercise is only useful once it has been digested and absorbed. This means you need to time your food intake so that the fuel becomes available during the exercise period. The time required for digestion depends on the type and quantity of food consumed. Generally, foods higher in fat, protein and fibre tend to take longer to digest than other foods, and may increase the risk of stomach discomfort during exercise. Large quantities of foods take longer to digest than smaller quantities. Generally, food is better tolerated during lower intensity activities, or sports where the body is supported (e.g. cycling) than sports such as running where the gut is jostled about during exercise. A general guide is to have a meal about 3-4 hours before exercise or a lighter snack about 1-2 hours before exercise. You need to experiment to find the timing, amount and make up that best suits your individual needs."

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/competition_and_training/eating_before_exercise

More on what to eat at the link.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    How far are u going to run? I frequently do about 30 mins straight out of bed then eat/drink after. It's personal preference but just make sure you're hydrated.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

Same with me but only for short runs. When I go out for longer runs I usually grab something small (like half a large banana with a teaspoon of peanut butter) and leave immediately.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I usually run on an empty stomach in the morning (barring a coffee that is) as I'm not keen on running straight after eating and prefer to get out early. If I'm doing a longer run I will eat first though.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Runners like to do easy runs fasted because being good at burning fat as fuel is useful during endurance events. But it's for training not weight loss.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lilstry wrote: »

Don't you ever feel dizzy when doing a fasted run?

I know it's not aimed at me but I also work out and run in a fasted state. I don't get dizzy or feel any ill effects at all but my endurance does suffer a little. If I eat shortly before a work out a I get an upset stomach and feel queasy. My sweet spot seems to be at least 2-4 hrs after a meal.

Like most answers on here it varies. You burn calories which is energy from fat and muscle. You won't burn any more calories or anything special it's just an individual preference.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    How far are u going to run? I frequently do about 30 mins straight out of bed then eat/drink after. It's personal preference but just make sure you're hydrated.

Lol I'm a noob at running so I do about 30 minutes alternating to walking. My main goal is to do 30 minutes without stopping to walk.

Overall I tried in a fasted state and my endurance isn't the same, just like alluminati said. Next time I'll try eating half a banana or coffee.

• Rossjjjb
    Rossjjjb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Assuming you well hydrayted anyway, id do early morning 5k runs on no more than a coffee and a banana. Then take a small water bottle to run with.

Body should have enough on tap reserves to cover 30mins jogging and walking.

If your sweet starts smelling ammonia like, then you have gone through your on tap reserves, then maybe consider a carb based snack before. But shouldnt be needed for 30mins running.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do a 30-40 minute elliptical workout in the morning. If I do it on an empty stomach , I would probably faint !
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I almost always run on empty. Though doing 14 miles yesterday on not much more than a bowl of cereal 6 hours previously became challenging on the legs. Managed it, and then ate the quantity of food you usually only see in cartoons...

5e6a222bd8f7fcdf362dd354d4bed1a8.jpg
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Cardio burns calories not fat.

It makes zero difference as long as you are eating in a deficit on average.

Eat or don't eat whatever makes you more comfortable with the energy you need.
    Question:
    What about the fuel for the energy represented by the calorie burn?
    How does one shift the odds of that being derived from stored fat as opposed to sugar?

I am studying info that is scientifically inconclusive and contradictory. Just wondering your take on it given your obvious knowledge.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I run ever morning fasted at 5:30 a.m. I make sure the nutrition I ate the day before is adequate enough and I am hydrated. I personally do not beleive in the running fasted burns more fat or fat faster running fasted than if one were to eat 1-2 hours before). I also could not eat 30 minutes before a run, this may cause me a lot burping in the run.