Question on weight loss

Options
DamnRod
DamnRod Posts: 106 Member
Trying to live a healthier lifestyle and lose about 20lbs... Should I cut red meats and fruit from my diet?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to do that, just eat less than you burn. When you eat to lose weight you quickly learn what foods work for you in terms of nutritional value vs empty calories. Red meats and fruits are great!
  • DamnRod
    DamnRod Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Much appreciated, Thanks!
  • esckaiftw
    esckaiftw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The only rule you can't break is the calories you burn have to exceed the calories you take in. There is no right or wrong beyond that, there is only what works for you. Whatever you do decide though, you have to stay with it, so pick a plan you can stick with.
  • AlexisVeilleux
    AlexisVeilleux Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nope, just eat less red meat. Fruits are good for you just not rich in nutrients you actually need... I'd stick to proteins like chicken, Turkey, fish, pork, tofu. Make sure to eat veggies and try not to drink a lot during your meals because the Liquids will rush the food through your digestive system and you'll become hungry quicker. Protein is important! Around 70 grams is ideal, don't go waaaay overboard though because excess protein can hurt you in the long run. 70 grams is the recommended amount daily to keep you full and satisfied.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Nope, just eat less red meat. Fruits are good for you just not rich in nutrients you actually need... I'd stick to proteins like chicken, Turkey, fish, pork, tofu. Make sure to eat veggies and try not to drink a lot during your meals because the Liquids will rush the food through your digestive system and you'll become hungry quicker. Protein is important! Around 70 grams is ideal, don't go waaaay overboard though because excess protein can hurt you in the long run. 70 grams is the recommended amount daily to keep you full and satisfied.

There is so much misinformation in this post. A 22 year old female has different needs for protein than a 34 year old male. Protein is more essential when you are eating at a calorie deficit because it will help prevent muscle loss. Drinking a lot with your meals? That's a new one. Veggies are good, but fruits also provide important nutrients. Just eat a well rounded diet that you like, red meat included. Weight loss is all about calories in/calories out. How you choose to accomplish those goals is up to you. MFP will give you your recommended macros based on the goal you put in. It's easier to achieve your goals if you can incorporate the foods you like to eat, within reason.