weight loss surgery? ??

Options
I've been waiting on the approval to have the gastric bypass surgery done for about a year and a half now. .... I finally got the approval! !! I thought I would be more excited then this, instead I am having 2nd thoughts.
I've been heavy since my early teens ( i am now in my late 30's) and after my 3ed child I basically gave up trying to lose weight. The past year I've decided to take back my life! I got a gym membership and work out regularly. ....and love it!! I found out Im diabetic (type2), and my blood presser was pretty high, among a few other medical issues.... so I started eating better and cut sugars out.
I've lost 63 lbs as of today. With medication, my blood pressure is down to good and my diabetes is stable.
So now that I have my "pass" to get weight loss surgery, do i? Or do i just keep up what I'm doing???

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Even if you decide with surgery you will have to continue to live a healthy lifestyle. Surgery is just another tool in your life. You have to do whats right for you, not what someone else says to do
  • LORI35pittsburgh
    LORI35pittsburgh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    it certainly isnt the easy way out and is a lifetime tool to use wisely... congrats on your fist steps toward being healthier and losing 63 pounds.. it is a big decision .. i havent had any problems. i am maintaining now.. had rny gastric bypass april 2015 and went past my goal and am the lowest weight that i can remember.. im 5'4 and i weigh 120 lbs.. my highest was 252 i thought my goal would be around 140/150 bu t i went down further.. it is an adjustment just learn all you can go to support meetings..
  • AlexisVeilleux
    AlexisVeilleux Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got the approval and I still decided to try and do other things. I'm currently on Topamax to help reduce my cravings. Iv lost 34 pounds, about 10 pounds a month on average. Which is about what you'd lose with weight loss surgery anyways. But, this just works for me because my problem is psychological... yours might not be! You might really need the surgery! It's different for everyone. <3
  • anzie97388
    anzie97388 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand I would need to continue on with healthy habits. Not a problem I think, I love the gym and have found that working out actually releases a lot of my stress and anxiety!
    I am currently at 240, down from 303. It feels amazing! My goal is 140, so I have 100 to go. Congrats @LORI35pittsburgh on your success!!
  • anzie97388
    Options
    Some days I feel like. I got this! I can do this! Other days, I just want to get this dang weight off! I'm sick of struggling with it.
    For those of you who have had the surgery..... do you feel at all like you could have done it without the surgery, it just would have taken longer.?
    .........the strict diet and lifelong supplements has me jittery..... anyone else get that way?
    I will be talking to the lady at the clinic today, I have so many questions, I feel a mess. Haha
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the surgery two years ago and it was a terrific boost to my weight loss ambitions. My weight loss team, who have a lot of experience with this, say one of the key benefits for patients is the opportunity to keep the weight off. Best of success to you. I suspect you will have a great life whether you choose to have the surgery or not.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve done in April 2016. I started my journey seriously in 2011 when I was over 400. I got down to 230ish and then it started creeping back up. I just couldn't get my rhythm, momentum, motivation. It was so frustrating. I had gone to the seminar about it and decided to commit to the preparation. I knew even if approved I didn't have to do it. There was so much involved in the preparation: nutritional appointments/consult, psych consult, monthly dr. appts, support group meetings I had to attend. In the end I decided to do it and I don't regret it. I needed this help. I still have to do the work, it isn't a fix all solution. I have to support myself physically and nutritionally for healthy weight loss and habits. This is a lifetime change, not a patch to use for temporary. I have absolutely no regrets at all.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would give it more time since you've done so well already in changing and the biggest part is "mindset" or "mind-change" You have to make it a "lifestyle change". Feel free to add me, I know I want to lose at least 50lbs more!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is, of course, up to you.
    You are doing so great now, if I were you, I would opt out of the surgery and keep going.
    No matter what you decide, it looks like success is yours!
    Congratulations on your accomplishment so far, and best of luck for continued success!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing loss @anzie97388. That's a major surgery and can have major complications. Ultimately, only you can make this call, but I think you are doing great. Since you've proven to yourself you can lose the weight I'd keep going with with your current program and see how far you can get. Just imagine, if you lose 63 lbs over the next year you will weigh 177lbs. Not too shabby.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hi, I had the surgery two years ago and it was a terrific boost to my weight loss ambitions. My weight loss team, who have a lot of experience with this, say one of the key benefits for patients is the opportunity to keep the weight off. Best of success to you. I suspect you will have a great life whether you choose to have the surgery or not.

I've read a tiny bit about it and it sounds as though your hormones are positively affected by the weightloss surgery so that your chances of long term success are increased over dieting alone. My answer is that if you are feeling strong and confident enough to do this without surgery, then you probably are. If you have any doubts at all, I'd take the surgery.

ETA: This was addressed to OP. I was meaning to agree with you jgnatca.
  • anzie97388
    Options
    Thank you @snowflake930
  • anzie97388
    Options
    Thanks a bunch @enterdanger . I feel like it took forever to lose these 63 pounds! But I never thought, hey if in another year I lose 63 more, I'll be at 177!! That's an amazing thought! Thank you.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My MIL just had it done and there's a whole list of things she can't have ever again (Motrin or anything carbonated are a couple of them). If really think hard before going this route. Mostly because I'd rather just dirty and exercise if I can.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lol I love auto-correct on my phone
  • anzie97388
    Options
    My MIL also had it done.... 10 years ago tho. And to this day can not drink carbonated drinks...... that would be awful to me....lol..... I love diet mist and ICE waters. Life without those would be no fun. Ha. So, yes. @jayv85 that is something I need to weigh out in my decision.