A week & no loss... what to do?

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
So I've been on MFP for a little over 50 days and have lost 15 pounds. I'm currently eating 1310 and most of my exercise calories back. I lost about 7 pounds of my 15 with this exact diet. Now I seem to have hit a plateau. :sad: Bat timing too since I'm headed to the Caribbean in 4 days and really wanted to have a loss right before my trip!

I'm exercising everyday but haven't lost anything in a week. Any suggestions? I've cut my sodium way down the past few days (to right around 800g per day), and have been drinking at least 10 cups of water per day. Any other tips to shake things up and start losing again? I'm desperate!

Replies

• dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No biggie, sometimes that will happen. Its normal! You might not lose again for 2 weeks, and then it will start to drop again. Others on here will probably suggest eating more cals. Or perhaps making sure to eat some protein after workouts, not eating after 7pm etc etc.

My advice is stick at it, youve done great, and it will keep coming off. Looking forward to what others have to say.
    xx
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No biggie, sometimes that will happen. Its normal! You might not lose again for 2 weeks, and then it will start to drop again. Others on here will probably suggest eating more cals. Or perhaps making sure to eat some protein after workouts, not eating after 7pm etc etc.

My advice is stick at it, youve done great, and it will keep coming off. Looking forward to what others have to say.
    xx

Agreed. Take this time to just think about how the food and exercise makes you feel as opposed to what the numbers on th scale represent, because knowing your body and how it feels when doing healthy things will help you maintain your weight when you've lost it all.

The other thing is to have a cheat day to shock your system (your vacation may be the answer you're actually looking for to see losses again when you are back home - I've seen a bunch of these stories recently), or go the other way and go a couple days only eating half of your exercise calories back. It's all relative and it's all about what works for you.
  • jodieleeds
    Options
    Ive been on for 35 days and ive only lost 6lbs, but today, yet again i was heavier again! I feel like im at the end of my tether about it and not a clue what to do :(

A couple of people have said that because i thought i was smart cutting my calories to less than MFP said my body has gone into starvation mode, im just hoping now ive started eating more that i will start to lose. Ive also changed what im eating so snacking on veg and fruit and trying to cut down on bread (my big carb downfall!)

My friend has lost 13.5lbs in the same time and im absolutely mortified.

I also do no exercise really apart from running around my restaurant but im aimimg to sort that out and start running, so if anyone has any advice on how to start becoming a runner id be really greatful xx
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ahh, a week is nothing! Seriously, your body doesn't know that it's been exactly 7 days, and you may have been over a couple hundred calories that could have caused you to see no change in the scale. Now, if you don't see any loss in another 2 wks, then maybe you've hit a plateau (and they stink! I just finally nixed a 6 wk one all the while eating and exercising). Oh and you want to know what finally helped me break it? Eating more and exercising less. Go figure! Of course I ate more of the right things and just changed up my exercise a bit (went from Turbo Fire to ChaLean Extreme and running, but still no more than 45 minutes a day, and only 5x wk vs. 7x).

In short, if no loss in the next week or so, change things up a bit, eat a cheat meal, change up your exercise a little. At some point your body will start to think "Ok, she's not giving up, so I might as well get rid of this weight!"

Good luck and stay strong :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I guess I'm just a little too eager. :laugh: I'll breathe and keep trying...
  • kellydoyle76
    Options
    Babe, you will get there. Just go on your holiday and have fun. We sometimes get down on our selves as we want it yesterday. This is a life change and I bet next time you go on a beach holiday you will be smoking hot at goal. xoxoxoxKel
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Why is everyone always so concerned about scale weight? Are you losing fat? That's what you should care about.

Also, cutting down consistently on sodium isn't a smart idea. Your body will just increase Aldosterone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldosterone

You'll end up holding onto the little sodium you do take in. Sodium depletion is a method that bodybuilders use to get ready for the stage before the hormones can kick in to make up for it. Unless you're about to hop on the stage in a bikini, eat a normal sodium intake, especially in the summer. And if you're worried about not losing weight, get a bodyfat test. Get tested again in a month and then you'll know if your diet is working.