Government unions

Options
Ilovepeppers
Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
Whats your take? For or against? Its never made sense to me how government workers, like child welfare workers, can be allowed to unionize.

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It is a sweet gig if you get into one. I work for a government agency as a manager and our unions have us by the short hairs.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Whats your take? For or against? Its never made sense to me how government workers, like child welfare workers, can be allowed to unionize.

I think it's great, but, sadly, many federal unions are non-bargaining, which seems to really limit the union's ability to protect the workers.

Kris
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I HATE unions! I had to be in one in WI because I was a teacher. The teachers union protected teachers so that after 3 years in a district, they basically couldn't be fired (unless the basically physically abused someone). So....bad teachers are protected.

Also...do we all remember about GM? Their collective bargaining for full pensions and benefits forced them into bankruptcy.

Don't mean to cause problems, or step on any toes...I'm just saying my opinion, and you're all entitled to your own opinion.
  • DebinAZ
    DebinAZ Posts: 30
    Options
    Rip off.

I come from a family of union members - most were forced to be in the union. Unions were great when they first started many, many years ago. Because of them, we have a lot of laws on the books now that protect workers. They have outlived their usefulness.

Now unions are just money-making machines that take union dues from workers, bully people around, and cause stress on management. Union bosses make a killing off the hard-earned money of workers.

Because we have laws on the books that already protect workers, there's no need for unions to "pretend" that they're helping anyone anymore.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Also...do we all remember about GM? Their collective bargaining for full pensions and benefits forced them into bankruptcy.
    And before the auto industry, the steel factories. Ridiculous.
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There is no need - they are just money grabbers who dont do anything for the workers - they are passe , at one time they worked to protect the average employee , but lately all they do is take,take,take to make their own pockets fat and support their own political views which may not be the same as the workers who support them !
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Well, looky what I just came across: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/car-czar-i-did-it-all-for-the-unions/

"A Congressional oversight committee has asked Ron Bloom, White House advisor and former ‘car czar,’ to clarify his response to a question during a recent hearing. Bloom was asked whether he made the statement “I did it all for the unions” back in 2009 in the middle of the auto bailout controversy."

Check it out...
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I work for the Federal Govt and I am a member of AFGE. Eh, Im not too impressed, but I guess its better than no union...
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It is a sweet gig if you get into one. I work for a government agency as a manager and our unions have us by the short hairs.

This. I worked with public sector unions for years. The savvy ones OWN the politicians, which makes bargaining a farce.they wanted authority and decision making ability without any accountability to the taxpayers.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I agree with others here in that unions once had a purpose and helped get some laws on the books for the benefit of your average worker. And I also agree that they have outlived their usefulness. Every politician that takes money from unions is dirty, as well every contract that the unions get in return.

Back when I was a young student activist working my way through the process of indoctrination through our wonderful educational system I would have told you differently.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Well, looky what I just came across: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/car-czar-i-did-it-all-for-the-unions/

"A Congressional oversight committee has asked Ron Bloom, White House advisor and former ‘car czar,’ to clarify his response to a question during a recent hearing. Bloom was asked whether he made the statement “I did it all for the unions” back in 2009 in the middle of the auto bailout controversy."

Check it out...

i bet you had a shortcut to the blaze!
    P.S. we are a blaze loving household.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Unions are great for negotiating for the whole (better than any individual could do on their own)

That being said, I love my union!
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    I wonder if its a coincedence that the states that have no teachers unions are also the ones with the lowest test scores.

http://www.businessinsider.com/states-where-teachers-unions-are-illegal-2011-2
  • sparrows7
    Options
    I don't even know how anyone can listen to Glenn Beck, let alone frequent his website. Just sayn'
  • boomboom011
    Options
    I don't even know how anyone can listen to Glenn Beck, let alone frequent his website. Just sayn'

i used to feel the same way until i actually started listening and checking things out for myself.
  • sparrows7
    Options

i used to feel the same way until i actually started listening and checking things out for myself.

Listening to talking heads is not going to make you more knowledgeable. Most of them lie, and I know that I personally have had to fact check about a million claims from Glenn Beck fans in my real life. He spins BS just like the rest of them, perhaps even worse.
  • boomboom011
    Options

Listening to talking heads is not going to make you more knowledgeable. Most of them lie, and I know that I personally have had to fact check about a million claims from Glenn Beck fans in my real life. He spins BS just like the rest of them, perhaps even worse.

never said it would. he has a lot more to offer than some people give him credit for. i dont get my facts from him. I like the guy and we can agree to disagree on this one.
  • sparrows7
    Options

never said it would. he has a lot more to offer than some people give him credit for. i dont get my facts from him. I like the guy and we can agree to disagree on this one.

If someone is going to link (not saying that you did) to a Glenn Beck site for facts, people should prepare for some eyerolling and snarky comments. Especially in a topic like this. Its like using Keith Olbermans website in a serious conversation, those are just not legitimate sites for facts.

We can certainly agree to disagree but I would suggest that while you're not getting facts from him while listening to him or going to his site, that you fact check him and his writers.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Please make sure to steer clear of political discussion in the thread, as it is against the forum rules - mostly as a result of how such hot topics can go sour quickly. Thanks for your understanding.

Nigel
    MFP Moderating Team