Once successful dieter, now successful weight gainer, help!

Options
Hi there my name is molly :)

Right where to begin....I joined mfp under a different username in 2012 after the birth of my daughter at 170lbs 5'8 I was the heaviest I'd ever been, I was lucky enough to find an amazing really supportive group of friends on here and that helped keep me accountable and by 2013 I was at my lowest ever weight 123lbs I was extremely proud of myself but unfortunately I ended up being trolled by two girls who for some reason decided to harass and bully me, this caused me to delete my account and basically just give up on the whole thing, I felt so low. So here I am 3 years later and 70lbs heavier addicted to binge eating and a big hater of exercise! I made this account in 2014 but never really use it, I have one or two friends on here both of which are experienced gym goers/ runners who have been very successful with their weight loss and are at the end of their journeys and while I'm so happy for these people I do sometimes find it demotivating to not have any friends who are in the same position as me, I'd really like to meet more like minded people who are just starting out and who understand how much little achievements mean when you're as stuck in a rut as I am!

I'm counting this as my first proper day of really trying with this app, who's with me?? :)

Good luck to everyone on your own personal journey x

Replies

• grammyvjc
    grammyvjc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Managing your weight is a lifetime chore and should be put in the same category as other personal hygiene items like brushing your teeth and bathing. I have lost 40 pounds on here and got out of my routine when summer hit and grandkids were here all the time eating things I don't eat or even keep around. I have stopped logging food and counting calories, having too many "cheat" days. I have managed to maintain my weight, but certainly have not lost over the past couple of months. I too am trying to get refocused and start on the right path again. Still need to lose a LOT. I have yo-yo'd for years. NOT a good thing!! I am determined now to lose the weight I have hated my entire life and keep it gone by watching my food choices daily as well as stepping on the scales. It is much easier to skip a meal a couple of days and lose one pound than it is to be where we are at now wanting to lose 70! I too hate exercise, always have, but there are some things we can do that add activity without feeling like exercise. I push mow my yard and work up a really great sweat. I have spent time at the pool with the grandkids and do water aerobics while watching them play. I enjoy being outside, so a nice walk is great. My best friend has been a recumbent exercise bike which I place near a television and I require myself to use it until something I want to watch is over, makes me feel better about watching television LOL. You can do it! Do it for yourself and your family so you can be healthy and active for them. I rarely use these chats/blogs. Too much advice, not all good, not all in your best interest. Take control of your own life. You only need to please yourself. Good luck!
  • moymoyxx
    moymoyxx Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I really feel the lifetime chore comment, it's so true but also disheartening when you've lost a lot of weight and put so much of your mental energy into it sometimes you find yourself wondering when it will end and you can go back to not worrying about calories fat weight etc, but I've learned the hard way that you have to ALWAYS keep your mental energy focused if like me your natural tendency is to over eat and under exercise! I'm so envious of my slim friends who know when to turn down an extra slice of pizza not for worrying about their weight but simply because they know when they're full. I don't seem to stop eating until long after I'm full.
    Thank you for your reply and good luck on your journey! :)
  • ronevans534
    ronevans534 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Molly! The past is the past and probably not worth dwelling on too much. I admire you for coming back and starting your journey today. What happens from here forward is what matters most. I'll be happy to be your friend and encourage you as you reach your goals!
  • Mari0810
    Mari0810 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies glad to see you guys reaching out and sharing. This is my first time using the community post, but i realize there are a lot of people with the same struggle. I know the feeling too well on the struggle to lose weight. I've lost over 130lbs in 4yrs. It was not easy, but one thing that i realize is that my way of thinking had to change. If eating healthy and exercise is looked at as a lifetime chore, yes it will not work. We focus on what we are giving up rather than what we are gaining. Once you detox your body from all the junk we eat, you feel so much better. Despite of the weight i've lost i'm not at my goal weight, i had a few stumbles along the way but i have not given up. I surround myself with people that have such positive energy and motivate me to do better. That's why i'm here because i want to give back. I wish you ladies best of luck and feel free to reach out! <3
  • moymoyxx
    moymoyxx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your kind replies, I haven't felt this motivated in a long time, I'm feeling very optimistic and glad I reached out for some support and have decided to commit myself to a healthier lifestyle for the long run :)
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I agree with grammy, you have to keep it in a headlock, constantly, I eat only when im hungry and forego that idea of eating 6 meals or the basic 3(breakfast, lunch, dinner) I can be a emotional eater, meaning if I feel depressed, I have eaten 40 pieces of chicken or 35 burritos at taco bell. I am far from that now. Exercise, keeping the diet in check, and being emotionally positive that you are making a real change in your life is the key. I wish you the best and I know it's hard. Just hang in there.
  • arinamzai
    arinamzai Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm in the exact same boat. I lost 60 lbs using mfp in 2013 and I felt amazing, but I've put all the weight back on because I didn't follow through with the healthy lifestyle I had adapted. :-(
    I faced so many obstacles in the past two years that I used binge eating as a coping mechanism for and now i'm trying to get myself out of this awful cycle.
    I used to be into fitness hardcore, but now I have a hard time convincing myself to even go on a power walk lol...the struggle is real! I never thought i'd be that person but here I am lol.

Anyways I sent you a friend request I'm looking for friends too who are kind of experiencing the same thing as me so hopefully we can motivate each other. I just got back on here today after having my new account for two months and not taking it seriously.