Has anyone ever done Slimming World?

Options
shanice_22
shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
I'm thinking about starting Slimming World and just wondered if anyone on here has done it before, and how you got on with it, if it works, etc.

Replies

• kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    my best pal does it, it has worked 4 her she has lost over 2 stone in about 3-4 months. good luck :bigsmile:
  • MrsTits
    MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 3 and a half stone doing Slimming World but found I wasn't having enough calories for my size whilst following the plan. I think if you've got a few stone to lose then it's perfect as it really teaches you to go back to basics with food and cut out processed rubbish. I switched to calorie counting because I found to have the calories needed for my size I had to keep going over my syns and subconsciously I felt like I was doing it wrong.

I still use their recipes and basic principles now whilst calorie counting though and shall be going back to the plan when I have a few remaining stone to lose, think it will really benefit me when I have to cut drastically.
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight on it but put it back on again... it felt a bit weird cutting out carbs or protein depending on which day I was having, it didn't feel like a normal diet to me so it wasn't easy to maintain. I think it's good to read up on the things that make a healthy diet and just go with that. 5 portions of fruit and veg per day +, 3 portions of fish per week + (including 1-2 portions of oily fish), wholegrains and complex carbs instead of white carbs, try to eat less processed food, drink plenty of water, steam, boil and bake instead of frying and eat plenty of lean meat - like chicken breast instead of lots of fatty red meat. Also try to eat enough good fats - avocado, nuts and salmon/mackerel/sardines. If you do this within your calorie allowance I don't think you'll be going far wrong... and it's FREE!!! For me one of the most important things is exercise, it speeds my metabolism and allows me to eat extra things that i fancy in moderation so it feels like i'm eating a normal diet. If I couldn't do this, then i would probably not have kept on losing weight for this long. GOOD LUCK!
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight on it but put it back on again... it felt a bit weird cutting out carbs or protein depending on which day I was having, it didn't feel like a normal diet to me so it wasn't easy to maintain. I think it's good to read up on the things that make a healthy diet and just go with that. 5 portions of fruit and veg per day +, 3 portions of fish per week + (including 1-2 portions of oily fish), wholegrains and complex carbs instead of white carbs, try to eat less processed food, drink plenty of water, steam, boil and bake instead of frying and eat plenty of lean meat - like chicken breast instead of lots of fatty red meat. Also try to eat enough good fats - avocado, nuts and salmon/mackerel/sardines. If you do this within your calorie allowance I don't think you'll be going far wrong... and it's FREE!!! For me one of the most important things is exercise, it speeds my metabolism and allows me to eat extra things that i fancy in moderation so it feels like i'm eating a normal diet. If I couldn't do this, then i would probably not have kept on losing weight for this long. GOOD LUCK!

I have tried a lot of what you've mentioned above, and have been doing ok with it, but it's mostly motivation I'm not very good with which is why I want to try SW as I feel it would motivate me to try harder with being weighed in a group environment sort of thing. But thank you for your advice :-)

Edit: I might just see how I get on without going to SW, because as you said it's free not to and I probably could do it alone just need to motivate myself more. Oh, and less punishing myself or feeling bad when/if I have a treat.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    I lost my first 3 and a half stone doing Slimming World but found I wasn't having enough calories for my size whilst following the plan. I think if you've got a few stone to lose then it's perfect as it really teaches you to go back to basics with food and cut out processed rubbish. I switched to calorie counting because I found to have the calories needed for my size I had to keep going over my syns and subconsciously I felt like I was doing it wrong.

I still use their recipes and basic principles now whilst calorie counting though and shall be going back to the plan when I have a few remaining stone to lose, think it will really benefit me when I have to cut drastically.

I'm not trying to knock you or anything, but if my class is anything to go by (and I think it is) then I'm not sure you're doing things right, it's really not about counting calories, it's about eating the right foods, they call it food optimisation, if you're doing it right you shouldn't be hungry and as you say it teaches you to cut out the processed nonsense and eat better.

I'm not sure if your consultant was explaining things correctly.

So far I'm 'back on' slimming world, have been for a week and in week one 8.5lbs lost, of course as I go on I'll lose a lot less than that every week, but I do expect to keep losing, My consultant, Michael, is really close with his members and is really positive about everything.

I find that if you have the right person in front of you and the support of a class it really helps, the longer I go on the more I know I can't do this alone so the support is a godsend.

That said, I've been in two previous classes, one was great and I lost 3 stone in 3 months, the other was absolutely dreadful, too much expectation and blame cast around, you are horribly doing things wrong if you don't lose etc. So it can be hit and miss, best idea is to go to a class and see if you like the consultant before you join.

But I love it.
    I lost some weight on it but put it back on again... it felt a bit weird cutting out carbs or protein depending on which day I was having, it didn't feel like a normal diet to me so it wasn't easy to maintain.

They have a new plan called 'extra easy' it lets you mix and match but only if you make sure you have 3/3/3 on your plate. So a third carbs, a third protein and a third veg, as my consultant says "It's more like real life!"