Coffee with whey protein ok?

Options
The directions say to mix with 150ml of water or other liquids. Does it lose it's nutritional value by mixing it with coffee & a bit of milk???

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do a little research to find if the whey protein can survive the hot coffee.
  • Kev_Lifts
    Kev_Lifts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You're overthinking it. If it taste good, do it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

It does.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. 1 cup of water through the aeropress to make espresso; 1 cup of milk and 1 scoop of unflavored whey, shaken in a blender cup with a few drops of vanilla extract and spoonful of sugar makes a passable latte, the whey makes it foamy. A little sticky but tastes good.

Whey is just part of milk so it does work fine in coffee.
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yup. I sometimes have my coffee with a scoop of whey, collagen and cocoa powder. It's pretty good like that. If you mix it well it will foam up like a latte.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you just mix it with a spoon, you may find it gets clumpy in hot liquids. No idea why this happens. However, if you shake it, it works fine.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you just mix it with a spoon, you may find it gets clumpy in hot liquids. No idea why this happens. However, if you shake it, it works fine.

This. I've also used cold water to make a slurry and then added hot liquid (I have a protein powder that tastes like mint cocoa, so I just use hot water).
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I often add hot water to mine in winter. You might want to make a slurry first, because the whey clumps up if you mix it with hot liquid. Or I just blended mine. Makes it nice and frothy to boot!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and it was the grossest thing ever. It wouldn't mix in properly. So it was chunky and weird.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Ive put my vanilla whey in with my hot coffee. Its fine. Depends on the protein. I drink it fast so i dont savor the flavor, per se.
    I use it in my shaker with the ball tho- so its never clumpy.

However its really good cold - like an iced cream coffee, protein shake. Make some coffee the night before and stick it in the fridge!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking my cold brew coffee concentrate over ice with the Premier Protein vanilla shakes from Costco, YUM!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

It's because it's cooking. Protein fibers shrink when heated - think of an egg.

This does NOT affect the nutrition but lumpy coffee is disconcerting.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Whey survives hot coffee just as well as the protein in chicken survives a hot grill.
  • Damico1971
    Damico1971 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    These posts are very helpful and I'm glad that I can do it because my whey protein with coffee mixed with a blender tastes so good like a Starbucks frapaccino OMG