breast-feeding moms..???

Options
anyone here breastfeeding and trying to lose weight?

Replies

• seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My son is 4 months old and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I eat a minimum of 2000 calories a day and I work out daily for 60 minutes. (30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights). I've lost 25lbs in those 4 months.
  • GabbyFenske0644
    GabbyFenske0644 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently just stopped breastfeeding my 18month old a couple weeks ago. I have found that no matter what I did, that last few pounds was not budging as long as I was nursing. You have to be careful about dieting while nursing. You can quickly lose your milk supply. However that's not to say eat all day everyday. Try to make healthy choices and exercise a few times a week. If you feel your supply start to drop add some more protein to your diet and lots and lots of water is key to a healthy milk supply! Every woman's body is different and right now you gotta focus on feeding that little one!
  • MissSeven
    MissSeven Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My son is 4 months old and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I eat a minimum of 2000 calories a day and I work out daily for 60 minutes. (30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights). I've lost 25lbs in those 4 months.

I'm in the same boat! I'm exclusively breastfeeding and trying to lose this weight but the lbs are not budging.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My son will be four months on the 2nd of September. He is exclusively breastfed at this point. I've been thinking about getting back on track but I was advised to wait a few months until the milk was well established. I have, just this morning, decided that I'm ready to jump back on the wagon lol. I'm starting tomorrow since I need to go buy a new food scale. I'm gonna spend the rest of today researching about how much I feel safe to cut without compromising my supply. I'm thinking about a pound a week but we will see. Best of luck!!!
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not currently nursing, but did nurse my three kids and I could never lose weight while nursing! I could drop 3lbs and that was it. My body held onto all that baby fat. I'm 4 years PP and just now started losing all that pregnant weight! We weaned a year ago.
  • gamespriteicon
    gamespriteicon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My son is 19 months stopped nursing at 1year. Lost weight 1st year by watching what I ate. I did get around 1800-2000 calories but I was not logging until I got to 7months. I ate when I was hungry and drank lots of water. Fruit and vegetables and a glass of milk everyday + regular sized meals not over portioned. Had gestational diabeties, found that I could have jimmy dean breakfast biscuit with sausage and egg for breakfast and sugars were in check or a hamburger no fries. But we cook a lot a home so that helps with weight loss. And we are not big soda drinkers.

When he was 7months I did 4 months of crossfit off and on during the holiday months and one round of paleo 30 day challenge, was great did not lose as much weight as my co-workers but I had been losing steady 10-4 lbs a month from first month he was born to 1 year respectively. What I did gain from paleo was that I need to incorporate more veggies and meat into every meal, which I am still working on. Crossfit was great in that I got a lot of the strength I lost back. I did not do crazy sized weights highest I got with kettle bell was 45lbs. The point for me is to tone and lose fat not lift more than 100lbs. In all honesty it felt like doing a regular workout just sweat more because I am pushing through instead of taking breaks.

My son is now in daycare so I can not fit the gym in like I did before, so doing youtube videos at home. Found 2 really nice programs...look up idealfit...recommend starting with the 15 day Mommy Challenge. The best part is that it helps you build up, and if you can do more you do more. It is free so worth a try and is something that can be done at home or take your phone to the gym and do it there if you need the time out of the house. They have a really nice facebook community and lots of moms on there are having trouble losing weight while breastfeeding so it's great for support too.

There is a food plan with option for nursing, they do advertise their protein product that is where they get their money. I did not touch and protein powders until I was done nursing because it made me sick while pregnant and figured my son would get fussy.

Hope this helps.
  • mama2redhead
    mama2redhead Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while nursing. I ate around 1800 calories, and ate back some of my workout calories. That said, I seem to hold onto 5 or 10 pounds the first few months postpartum. It took me about 9 months to get back to prepreggo weight both times and weight got easier to lose in general after baby was about 12 months old and was breastfeeding less.

I nursed my daughter until 2 and am still nursing my 19 month old son.

I did find that I had to drink about 90 oz or more a day and never drop below 1500 calories or it would effect my supply, especially the first few months. This usually only happened when I was sick and had no appetite. The intensity of my workouts did not affect supply as long as I hydrated well. I did find some of the lactation teas and cookies helped :).

For simplicity, I added 500 calories a day until baby was 6 months to whatever my weight loss goals calories suggested. My goal was to lose a pound a week.
  • mama2redhead
    mama2redhead Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I gained 50 pounds one pregnancy and 45 the next and weighed 160 before my last pregnancy. I am 5f 10 or so.

I did not diet at all for the first 8 weeks or so
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my 18 mo twice a day, have lost 60+ pounds in the last six months. When my calorie goal dropped to 1400 I noticed a reduction in my supply and intense hunger so I put it back up to 1600 and haven't had any problems with production or cravings (or losing for that matter) since. I think 1500 is the lowest recommended for BF moms.
  • ErinMac3
    ErinMac3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am currently nursing a 6 month old (many many many times per day!) and am trying to lose 10lbs. I am eating 2000 calories per day and expending at least 200 in exercise daily. I have lost about 1lb this week, but am hoping to hear encouragement. I nursed my first son until he was 27 months and couldn't lose that last 10lb until he weaned. I have this ugly spare tire around my waist that seems to want to stay put while nursing. How are you guys eating less than 2000 calories without insane hunger? I eat really clean, lots of fiber and protein and I am still often hungry! Good on ya!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    ErinMac3 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am currently nursing a 6 month old (many many many times per day!) and am trying to lose 10lbs. I am eating 2000 calories per day and expending at least 200 in exercise daily. I have lost about 1lb this week, but am hoping to hear encouragement. I nursed my first son until he was 27 months and couldn't lose that last 10lb until he weaned. I have this ugly spare tire around my waist that seems to want to stay put while nursing. How are you guys eating less than 2000 calories without insane hunger? I eat really clean, lots of fiber and protein and I am still often hungry! Good on ya!

For me, it's fat that's filling. (I don't know what "clean" means in this context... The food didn't hit the floor?). I lost my baby weight eating LCHF. Getting adequate protein, most of my calories from fat, and keeping carbs low, helps keep my appetite under control, even while nursing. I was eating between 1600-1800 calories per day while nursing, no insane hunger.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    "Clean" = unprocessed food. So, meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, grains, etc. instead of frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets and french fries.