Is it normal to sweat off 5 pounds of water weight after a 6 mile walk\run

Options
I weighed 208 pounds right before I left my house and I'm down south at the beach and it's hotter than hells furnace

Anyways I'm a beginner runner "meaning I can run about I don't know 100 feet before I get gassed out and need to walk so I basically did 10 of those stop and go type walk runs before I just gave in and had to walk and for the majority I walked but like I said I've been walking 6 miles a day I just started mixing in running

But yeah I went from 208 pounds to 203 I have never sweat off so much weight in my life usually it's about 2 pounds from a walk

Needless to say I am happy because my goal is to lose weight even water weight.

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The average person has a maximum sweat rate of 47oz [2.93 pounds] of water per hour. To lose that much weight in water, you'd have to be sweating at your max rate for almost 2 hours.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've never done that much. But I believe I have done three and four pounds.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking water during this time - you need to stay hydrated.
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 pounds of weight on a training marathon in 3 hours 45 minutes. I try to be more sensible about the times I run to avoid danger.

Early morning workouts have helped.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's very normal. After a grueling gym session sometimes I'm 4 -5 lbs lighter. Especially if I had a high a amount of carbs and sodium from the previous day.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Water weighs 8.33 #/GAL, it is easy to lose 1/2 Gal in 2 hours.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It is not 'success' to lose water weight. Nor is it a notable calorie burn to sweat buckets in hot humid weather.
    You did burn calories walking and running, but figuring out the distances and speeds is nigh impossible for me.
    Just don't pretend that you can eat a big meal to fuel that sweat.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself more than daily is useful for situations like this. If you're down five pounds, you would likely do well to push another 8-12 cups of water on a similar walk/run at that temperature as well as salty things if you're prone to getting post-activity headaches in that kind of weather.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    However much you sweat off =the amount of water you need to rehydrate with. Dehydration is not the way to lose weight!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    However much you sweat off =the amount of water you need to rehydrate with. Dehydration is not the way to lose weight!

+1
    Now you know that you need to drink about 3 quarts of water while doing 6 miles in those conditions
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    4 - 5 pounds on a hot humid day is pretty normal. Just make it back up later.