Options
do they work??

Replies

• BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    In what sense?

Do they help you sweat. . . probably.

Do they help you actually lose body fat. . . no.
  • Divabonita88
    Divabonita88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ok, i just never understood the purpose... of those & the sweat suits? are'nt u just losing water weight..
    i was wondering if they have lasting effects on helping tone your midsection/handles
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    ok, i just never understood the purpose... of those & the sweat suits? are'nt u just losing water weight..
    i was wondering if they have lasting effects on helping lose your midsection/handles

Nope.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    they definitely help you sweat, and they help you become more aware of your core and support it a little. i needed (and still need) to work on my core area (weak, injuries, poor posture) and my trainer bought me one and it helped me to focus alot more....
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sweat suits or trash bags can be used to "cut weight". This is not a safe practice for 99% of people out there that exercise. It is used by boxers to cut weight in a very short amount of time. They will put the weight back on in a very short amount of time It is just water weight.

As for the sweat bands.... sounds like a gimmick.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    They help you sweat in that area. It's not permanent at all. I use it if I plan on wearing something tight and need a lil help to flatten the tummy.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would say if your muscles work harder while wearing it (as in extra resistance while doing sit ups) then yes it might be beneficial. Other than that, probably not.
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    They've helped me lose inches around my mid section...I sweat in it like crazy!
  • blacrasberri
    blacrasberri Posts: 102
    Options

I agree! I wear my waist trimmer while working out and sweat a lot as well. Like, Makmyra I've lost lots of inches wearing the waist trimmer from my stomach area.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i didnt know they were called sweat trimmers; i was looking at one last night and it was just called a waist trimmer... I have no idea; but I do know that you can train your waist to shrink and be tiny with constant use of a corset; id imagine it would be the same with other things around your stomach as well; but dont think if you just wore it for, lets say, an hour, youd notice any real benefit; and its hard to say if after a month of constant use if its IT actually working, or if your naturally just shrinking from your routine.

I like what Leela said about wearing it because it helps them concentrate on their core... thats the main thing you want to focus on, even if your doing arm lifts or leg lifts, etc, keeping your posture straight and keeping your abs flexed is very important; its hard to remember for me; maybe a band would help me remember during the entire workout, not just when someone mentions it while im working out.
  • jimenez0312
    Options
    For me,when i was my thinnest I would wear it and it made me sweat in the tummy area a lot. It also made my waist smaller. It could tell by the way I put it on. At first i had little room to put it on then i had plenty of room. I just started back again and i use it with every workout(cleaning, working out. yardwork). It helps a lot. I recommend it. Good luck
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sauna suits look like a fast track to a heat stroke! :noway:
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I agree! I wear my waist trimmer while working out and sweat a lot as well. Like, Makmyra I've lost lots of inches wearing the waist trimmer from my stomach area.

I'm pretty sure that you are just losing from your waist because of the working out, not because you are repeatedly sweating a lot at your waist. Your body distributes any water it has equally throughout the whole body, so it's not like you can "train" your waist to retain less fluid. Having something around your waist doesn't make your muscles work harder there, either - if anything, the extra support means those muscles have to work less hard.

I agree with LorinaLynn - these make you lose a lot of water quickly, and that is not helpful for weight loss or good for your body.
  • aimtolose5
    aimtolose5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have searched argos but can not find one of these waist trimmers!! pls can someone tell me where i can get one from thanku.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    i have searched argos but can not find one of these waist trimmers!! pls can someone tell me where i can get one from thanku.

Google, "weight loss scams". Should bring up plenty of links.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why? They don't work. I'm not telling you where to get one. :angry:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!

I posted this back in September on an Embarrassing Gym Stories thread:

"I've been working out for a few months now. I mentioned to my mother the other day that while I am losing inches around my waist, my stomach feels a lot doughier than it did before. Like the fat there has softened and is waiting to finish melting off or something. Anyway, she suggested I look into getting a slimming belt that I can wear while working out that might help reduce my midsection. I had to stop by Academy over the weekend to return some running shoes that fell apart on me within a month, so I bought myself the belt.

Today at the gym I jump on the elliptical. I kept it at a fairly slow pace and upped the resistance a couple levels. I noticed that I was drinking a lot more than usual because the belt has a neoprene lining which holds the heat in and really makes you sweat. But the sweat didn't go through the belt (I do realize it isn't supposed to). I got off the machine thoroughly heated and walk out to where the Zumba class would be taking place. As I walked I got a strange look from a man on another machine and I noticed that something felt a little... off.

I got into the class and set down my water. That's when I looked in the mirror. With no place for the sweat to be absorbed on my stomach or back, It all collected and ran down my butt. So there I am in the middle of the zumba class with light gray shorts that look like I've had a major accident. An hour of dancing later (I realize I should have taken it off, but the thing was disgustingly sweaty and I had nowhere to put it), my ENTIRE butt was wet. What made it worse was that I had been trying so hard to cover it up with my shirt that my shirt was soaked through in the same area. Now I know we all go to the gym to sweat, but usually the sweating happens all over and not quite so localized... "
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    First let me preface that I do not think they work, but I do wear one, because it helps remind me to hold in my stomach while working out. Though when I forget to put it on, the jiggling of my stomach fat also helps remind me.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    #1 Those belts are great if you follow a strict diet and exercise program...

Seriously though, you will lose water weight but not fat. If you want to lose fat, see #1 and save your $5-10.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    They dehydrate you so you feel lighter and smaller, so if you aren't in a bikini competition this week, then they are useless.