Should I have lost more than 2lbs.

Options
allanrjudge
allanrjudge Posts: 84 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing Herbalife for a week now. I know it's not the best way to lose weight, I don't want people telling me how *kitten* it is.

To maintain my current weight of 212lbs I should be consuming around 2400-2600 cals a day. Myfitnesspal have put me at 1600 a day for weight loss.

As you can see from my diary, not only am I staying within 1600cals, most days i'm way under. But I feel fine, i'm not craving loads of food.
I've had 1 or 2 binges (which i've tracked). I just feel like a 2lb weight loss isn't much for the deficit i've had.

I just want this weight off fast, I don't care if I put it back on. I've gained and lost weight through my teenage/adult life, but this time I just cannot lose the weight through healthy eating. That's because I eat too much of the good/healthy foods, then crave the bad foods.

This Herbalife is as close to cold turkey on bad foods I can get, so it's serving a purpose. It's not sustainable IMO, I don't buy into the Herbalife cult who sing it's praises. It's just a way of pushing food out for a bit.

Should I have lost more than 2lbs this week though? I'm worried i've *kitten* my metabolism up and can't lose weight.

Replies

• hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No
  • allanrjudge
    Options
    Phew.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Doing the math, provided your numbers are accurate, two pounds would be the approximate expectation.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your binges are cutting significantly into your deficit, increasing your 7 day average to 1950 calories. That puts you at an overall 450-650 per day deficit without exercise. Adding in your average 317 calories per day exercise, that comes to 767-967 calories per day deficit. 1000 per day deficit is what you "should" need to lose 2 pounds.

If your CI and CO numbers are accurate, you will be losing about 1.5-2 pounds a week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can build a calorie deficit which is not reflected immediately in scale results. Just last week, for instance, I built a calorie deficit which waited 4 days to appear on the scale. That was rather sooner than many have experienced.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want to lose weight in a sustainable way?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Rationally, I want to lose weight slowly, and I have been. But I still get moments where I think, I just want to be skinny now! Or I want to be done with this process! But what I really want, is to never go back to the weight I was.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Rationally, I want to lose weight slowly, and I have been. But I still get moments where I think, I just want to be skinny now! Or I want to be done with this process! But what I really want, is to never go back to the weight I was.

It isn't a process. It's a lifestyle change. You need to open your mindset to that change.

I'll wager a thrup'ny bit that you didn't put weight on overnight. Why do you think you will lose it overnight?
  • allanrjudge
    Options
    It's not that I don't care if I put the weight back on, it's a case of i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I need to see results so it will give me the incentive to carry on. I've lost weight the healthy way and the 'wrong' way in the past time and time again. This is the longest i've had an overweight period now and i've tried a few times to lose it the healthy way in the past year and it hasn't worked.

I'm not deluded into thinking all I need to do is lose the weight and that will be it. The weight is a symptom of the binge eating... Meal replacement diets wont sort that problem out. But losing the weight will encourage me to start a healthy lifestyle.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »

It isn't a process. It's a lifestyle change. You need to open your mindset to that change.

I'll wager a thrup'ny bit that you didn't put weight on overnight. Why do you think you will lose it overnight?

You're preaching to the choir good sir. You must have missed those two little words "I have". I've lost 30lbs over 13 months. We are in agreement. But I still understand the urgency that the OP feels. I feel it sometimes too. I just fight that feeling.
  • allanrjudge
    edited August 2016
    Options
    In 2014 I went from 230lbs down to 179lbs over the space of a year, through healthy eating.

I piled it back on from January 2015 onwards.

So whether I lose it the healthy way or not, I need help for my eating problems. I just need to get this weight off fast because it's depressing me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    To maintain on 2600 and eat 1600 means a 1000/day deficit. 1000/day deficit is for 2 pounds a week. I'm confused as to the problem?
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is also not linear - meaning that even if you hit exactly a 1000 daily calorie deficit, you will not necessarily and consistently lose 2 lbs a week. I understand that you want to see some results to stay motivated, but given the unpredictable nature of weight loss, I think that putting all of your eggs into that one basket is a dangerous path to go down.

If you're only motivated to keep going by seeing immediate results, you won't stay motivated very long - even if you're doing everything right.

*edited for typo
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Back to your original question of whether you have kittened your metabolism during the last diet, I would say perhaps a little, but only a little. We have this discussion frequently on here, about how much dieting affects your metabolism and how long the effects last, and there is a wide spectrum of study results out there we can pull up to support our viewpoint. The solution is to focus a little less on cutting calories in and a little more on increasing calories out.

And as to your weight depressing you, exercise has the added benefit of elevating your mood.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by your use of "kitten". The only kitten I know is a baby cat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@salsera_barbie

*kitten* is the swear filter around here. If you put in a banned word, the site automatically replaces it with *kitten*. Usually if you quote the person you can see the original word.
    Now, some people just type *kitten* to get the point across that they are using an expletive without actually using one so not breaking rules.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rapid weight loss is a good motivator studies show in short term BUT you should do it under a Drs care.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »

You're preaching to the choir good sir. You must have missed those two little words "I have". I've lost 30lbs over 13 months. We are in agreement. But I still understand the urgency that the OP feels. I feel it sometimes too. I just fight that feeling.

The spirit of my post was aimed at OP. You've done an amazing job and are an inspiration to us all!
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options

@salsera_barbie

*kitten* is the swear filter around here. If you put in a banned word, the site automatically replaces it with *kitten*. Usually if you quote the person you can see the original word.
    Now, some people just type *kitten* to get the point across that they are using an expletive without actually using one so not breaking rules.

Thanks for the clarification. I just thought he really liked kittens....because well who doesn't.