1200 calories

Options

Replies

• mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok....I maybe beating a dead horse but if you are wanting to lose weight, you may need to intake more calories than perceived. If you are doing a pretty good workout (60 mins/3X a week) you will need to increase your caloric intake to facilitate bodily function (normal) and your muscles as they repair. If you are a person who is exercising 3Xs a week or more, you will need to go from 1200 to 1500/day. If that is too much for you to do at this point in your progress, do a caloric deficit of 200 calories (start at 1300). If you lower your caloric intake, your metabolism suffers, you body cannot rebuild its self to where it can develop. Don't always go with what MFP says, it is a start but depending on your workout regimen and your types of food, you may need to increase by a couple hundred calories. It may seem like a lot at first but once you start working out more and doing different things with your workouts, you'll get hungrier as it goes along.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Protein bar helps me.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    High protein snacks:

Shrimp, boiled eggs, string cheese, turkey kielbasa, turkey pepperoni (bake to make chips), edamame, any kind of beans (fave bean salad: black beans, chick peas, cilantro, red onions, shredded chicken w/taco seasoning), powdered PB, lunch meat/cheese rolls, pumpkin seens, tuna salad w/avocado, turkey jerky, peas.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ok....I maybe beating a dead horse but if you are wanting to lose weight, you may need to intake more calories than perceived. If you are doing a pretty good workout (60 mins/3X a week) you will need to increase your caloric intake to facilitate bodily function (normal) and your muscles as they repair. If you are a person who is exercising 3Xs a week or more, you will need to go from 1200 to 1500/day. If that is too much for you to do at this point in your progress, do a caloric deficit of 200 calories (start at 1300). If you lower your caloric intake, your metabolism suffers, you body cannot rebuild its self to where it can develop. Don't always go with what MFP says, it is a start but depending on your workout regimen and your types of food, you may need to increase by a couple hundred calories. It may seem like a lot at first but once you start working out more and doing different things with your workouts, you'll get hungrier as it goes along.

While I agree that the OP can likely eat more food and still lose weight, and that if she is exercising she definitely should be eating more... it seems you are implying that she may be suffering from a diminished metabolism because of too low calories, ie Starvation Mode?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    krishnip wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Unless you are older or very petite 1200 may be too low for you. MFP assigns calorie goals based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week" AND this number is before exercise. So if you exercise plan on eating some of those calories back. Calorie burns are estimates so start by adding back 50-75%.

That said, things that are generally filling are protein, fat and fiber. A piece of string cheese and a some berries would cover all three. I like Greek yogurt with some Fiber One sprinkles. Veggies & hummus. Popcorn with a sprinkle of parmesan.

1200 is what I was assigned I am only 5 feet tall and weight 128 pounds. I have gained so much weight since last I feel rather disgusted with myself :(

What goal weight are you trying to get to? Are you exercising? What sort of exercise? Are you eating back those calories?

• Katlover12
    Katlover12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am under 5ft and I eat about 1,200 calories as well. We're in similar boats. I need to lose some weight too. Good luck on your weightloss journey. :)
  • krishnip
    krishnip Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Good advice thank you
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What are your goals? I find1200 ridiculously too restrictive even at 5'.

Get rid of fat - HATE the way I look right now - feeling rather depressed actually

Then start lifting and eating more. At 1200 you might get skinny but not lose the fat. I'm 5' and at anything less than 135 I look too skinny, mostly because by building muscle you weight more. Focus more on getting fit and building muscle and you'll see the difference.
  • krishnip
    Options

Get rid of fat - HATE the way I look right now - feeling rather depressed actually

Then start lifting and eating more. At 1200 you might get skinny but not lose the fat. I'm 5' and at anything less than 135 I look too skinny, mostly because by building muscle you weight more. Focus more on getting fit and building muscle and you'll see the difference.

I have started running - which is so hard but I'm doing it!!

I am also doing a Jillian Michaels DVD for upper and lower body - anything else you can recommend?
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I am also doing a Jillian Michaels DVD for upper and lower body - anything else you can recommend?

If you have a gym membership, take a personal training class and have them teach you how to lift weights and start lifting as heavy as you can (without hurting yourself) and build up from there. You can also learn from apps or online.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

You haven't yet answered my questions upthread, so I will add them again. When you exercise, are you eating back some of those calories? How much total weight are you trying to lose?
  • krishnip
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Unless you are older or very petite 1200 may be too low for you. MFP assigns calorie goals based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week" AND this number is before exercise. So if you exercise plan on eating some of those calories back. Calorie burns are estimates so start by adding back 50-75%.

That said, things that are generally filling are protein, fat and fiber. A piece of string cheese and a some berries would cover all three. I like Greek yogurt with some Fiber One sprinkles. Veggies & hummus. Popcorn with a sprinkle of parmesan.

1200 is what I was assigned I am only 5 feet tall and weight 128 pounds. I have gained so much weight since last I feel rather disgusted with myself :(

What goal weight are you trying to get to? Are you exercising? What sort of exercise? Are you eating back those calories?

I am five feet tall, I would like to be about 110 pounds. I am running and also doing Jillian Michael upper and lower body.
  • robinstamm
    robinstamm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep a pot of homemade chicken soup around (made with celery, onion, carrots, salt, and pepper ... no noodles). There are only 72 calories in 2 cups of this stuff and it's so filling you won't be hungry again for hours. I recommended organic ingredients and Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt.
  • pinkslipblues
    pinkslipblues Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Plain rice cakes have 35 calories - add a low calorie topping and they are quite filling.

Great idea - never gave rice cakes a thought - any ideas for toppings?

Egg, tuna salad, light cream cheese, peanut butter (light if you want), cheese whiz, nutella, etc.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I am five feet tall, I would like to be about 110 pounds. I am running and also doing Jillian Michael upper and lower body.

Are you eating back those exercise calories?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have enough fat to lose to sustain the deficit you are aiming for, that's why you are hungry at 1200 calories. It's a flaw in MFP's setup that it makes the user pick weight loss rate, and without any instructions. We all want the weight off as fast as possible, but max is too fast unless you have a lot to lose. At your weight (and height), you can safely and realistically lose up to 0.75 pounds per week. Just a small increase in calories will make you feel better and reduce the risk of dieting failure and health issues. Please up your calories to 1400 - and don't spend your precious allowance on popcorn and rice cakes :s
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    OK, she's a 49yo female, 5' tall, aiming for 110 lb.

According to the calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine,
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.cfm
    110 lb would make your BMI 21.5, which is in the healthy range, so that's OK.

If you're inactive, you'd need 574 calories per day to maintain that weight at your age.
    If you're active about an hour a day, it says you'd need 1171 cal/day to maintain 110 lb.

That calculator also tells how many servings of the various food groups you should eat.
    Can point you in the right direction as far as healthy snacks.

But as others have said, protein & fat control hunger longest.
    Try lowfat cheese (mozzarella is good) to get protein.
    Frozen grapes are fun on hot days, both by themselves and as ice cubes in a glass of flavored sparkling water.

During the summer, I've been doing breakfast of frozen fruit blended with skim milk... just like a shake / smoothie, with lots of fiber, a bit of protein from the milk (or throw in an egg), very little fat, & it's only a couple hundred calories depending on the fruit.
    (Using bananas & a bit of peanut butter ups the calories but is really tasty!)

Here are some useful posts:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

Exercise basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080

Sleep enough
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-27-sleep-weight-control-690492

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein

Eat about half your calories for breakfast (see the last half of this post for the studies)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Paprika/bell peppers in stripes and cucumber in convenient think slices/parts, maybe cherry tomatoes. Put a big bowl of it on your desk and snack from it. Doesn't have much calories, keeps you full, and is tasty.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Strength training will give you better results of reducing the look of fat than severe restricting of calories.
    My advice is to set your mfp goal to .5lbs per week and do strength workouts (lifting or body weight exercises such as squats, push ups, lunges). Jillian Michael's has 2 levels of her 30 day shred videos on YouTube for free.

Edit: I suggest this route because you aren't very overweight.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    1,200 calories is just not enough food for me. Think about taking it slower and having a more satisfying amount of food/calories each day.

My fitness pal has me at 1200 calories, you're right its not enough food

Change your weight loss goal to adjust this - you might consider moving to 0.5 pound per week.