My Oven Went Out! Recipes please

Options
mypeep
mypeep Posts: 55 Member
My oven just went out! Any ideas for reduced cal, high protein, low carb recipes or links would help. I especially need dinner suggestions for the stovetop. My family and I would be grateful!

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Stir fry thinly sliced chicken, beef, pork, or seafood with LOTS of vegetables ..... a bit of rice if needed ..... delicious !
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Toss some stew meat in a pot with water and a beef bullion cube or two. Cover and simmer for 1.5-2 hours. I eat mine on brown rice and broccoli. The bullion juice can flavor the rice if needed.

Quinoa and Black Beans (you can add pan cooked or boiled chicken to it)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/49552/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Garlic chicken (cooked in skillet)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23998/a-good-easy-garlic-chicken/
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, whole grains, proteins. Mix and match. All can be made on the stove top.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles with grilled chicken and alfredo sauce or tomato sauce!
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    thats funny because I rarely use my oven! I'd be in trouble if my stove went out.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you have a crockpot, I find tons of great recipes on Pinterest. To find low-carb/ high-protein recipes try searching "paleo crockpot recipes" or "paleo stovetop recipes" Skinnytaste.com has a lot of great recipes too. For stovetop, I recommend looking into chilis, stews, soups (all can be made in large batches and frozen, and pair well with salad), stir-fry, curries.

Here is one thing I make in the crockpot every week because it's just so easy!
    Balsamic Chicken
    * 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
    * 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    * 1/2 red onion, diced
    * 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin (or minced)
    * 1 tbsp olive oil
    * Sprinkle of salt and pepper

Put the olive oil, onion, and garlic in first. Then the chicken. Pour the balsamic over the whole thing, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on high for about 3 hours or low for about 6 hours. I especially love it on a salad but you can pair it with virtually any veggie dish.

Here is a curry recipe I love that can be made on the stove. I use it for all sorts of curry dishes, as well as a sauce for lamb meatballs or steamed veggies (like broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels sprouts).
    * 1 can full-fat coconut milk (I strongly recommend the Trader Joes one if you have one near you- it's much creamier than others but with no artificial thickeners)
    * 2 tbsp curry spice
    * 1 tbsp cumin (or garam masala)
    * 1 tbsp ground ginger (or 1 inch cube of fresh ginger, minced or pressed)
    * 1/2 tsp cayenne, ground
    * 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
    * 1/4 tsp salt
    * 1 tsp granulated garlic
    * 1/4 cup minced fresh basil

Just mix and simmer on the stove until thickened to your liking. If it doesn't thicken up, you can add a thickener (cornstarch, or a mix of 1 tbsp warm water and 1 tbsp flour- add just a little at a time). You can add more or less of the spices too, depending on how strong you like the flavor to be.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I make veggie burritos. Please double the recipe if need be for your family. I can eat off of this for two days:

1. Can of organic lowsodium pinto beans (or soak dried pinto beans overnight, cook for 1 hour.)
    2. Mix cooked pinto beans with a can of low sodium or regular fire roasted tomatoes
    3. 1 tablespoon of cumin
    4. 1 teaspoon of pepper
    5. 1 teaspoon or more of cayenne powder
    6. Any other spices you like, I rinse my beans if I use canned ones remove the remaining sodium.

Mix cook on the stove till it gets hot. Get tortillas warmed on the stove top or microwave. Chop up some avocado, cilantro and green onions to go in the burrito. Boom you are done.

I am a plant eater so I don't do dairy but you can add shredded cheese to the bean mixture OR cook some brown or white rice and stuff that in each burrito as well. very filling and delicious.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Quick frittata. Sauté veggies of choice, pour in eggs or egg whites to non stick or sprayed pan. Can be big or large depending on how many your serving. Cover with cookie tin or tin foil and set flame to allow and allow eggs to cook through. Top with cheese or whatever you'd like
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Foreman grill! I rarely fix dinner in the oven.
  • mypeep
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys for the prompt responses! It looks like I'm going to need a new oven. I appreciate your great suggestions.
  • mypeep
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Yes I have both!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My oven went out more then a year ago and I just haven't bothered getting it replaced. Personally I have- a chicken roaster, a George Forman, three slow cookers of varying sizes, an outdoor grill, a microwave, a rice cooker and of course the stove top.
    Personally I love the slow cooker. It's food magic! Campbells makes great slow cooker sauces- just toss in meat, frozen steamed veggies, and the sauce. If you people that like biscuits in the house you can totally make them on the stove top. I used a large cast iron pan, grease it with fat free butter then plop the biscuits in a circle with one in the middle, then put a lid on it and simmer for 20 minutes or golden brown.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'd just pick up Rotisserie chicken, a bag salad, wraps, and maybe some cheese or dressing and eat chicken & salad wraps. I'm lazy.
  • mypeep
    Options
    Thank you! Great suggestions.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you have a George Foreman Grill....

Grilled Chili Rellenos stuffed with Chicken and Cheese and a side of sliced Roma tomatoes
    YUM!

Entire meal total (as plated)
    Calories: 403
    Carbs: 17g
    Fiber: 4g
    Protein: 55g
    Fat: 9g
    Note: Can reduce calories/fat if you want to use less cheese

Ingredients:
    2 Poblano Peppers
    4 oz Grilled Fajita Chicken (John Souls, packaged, already cooked)
    4 Light Mozzarella Cheese Sticks (Frigo Light) - use 2 to reduce by 100 cal etc...
    Chili Powder - to taste
    1 Roma tomato, sliced - add salt/pepper to taste

Cut stems off peppers and make one slice down one side of pepper (do not cut in half)
    Place both peppers on Grill until they become soft
    Remove and place cheese sticks (cut in halves lengthwise) in pepper
    Dice precooked chicken and place in pepper
    Season with Chili Powder
    Place each one back on grill for just a few minutes to heat up the chicken and melt cheese
    Remove and serve

Only 3 items used.... George Foreman Grill, a plate and a knife LOL
    3bv4pgzjd7ef.jpg

• mypeep
    Options
    If you have a George Foreman Grill....

Grilled Chili Rellenos stuffed with Chicken and Cheese and a side of sliced Roma tomatoes
    YUM!

Entire meal total (as plated)
    Calories: 403
    Carbs: 17g
    Fiber: 4g
    Protein: 55g
    Fat: 9g
    Note: Can reduce calories/fat if you want to use less cheese

Ingredients:
    2 Poblano Peppers
    4 oz Grilled Fajita Chicken (John Souls, packaged, already cooked)
    4 Light Mozzarella Cheese Sticks (Frigo Light) - use 2 to reduce by 100 cal etc...
    Chili Powder - to taste
    1 Roma tomato, sliced - add salt/pepper to taste

Cut stems off peppers and make one slice down one side of pepper (do not cut in half)
    Place both peppers on Grill until they become soft
    Remove and place cheese sticks (cut in halves lengthwise) in pepper
    Dice precooked chicken and place in pepper
    Season with Chili Powder
    Place each one back on grill for just a few minutes to heat up the chicken and melt cheese
    Remove and serve

Only 3 items used.... George Foreman Grill, a plate and a knife LOL
    3bv4pgzjd7ef.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. I do have a George Foreman.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Foreman grill! I rarely fix dinner in the oven.
    I couldn't cook without mine