Everybody poops. (And I'm new!)

Options
Okay, I am new to mfp, well, my one week mark starts tomorrow. I've been a "dieter" since age 8 when my pediatrician recommended it for my "health" and have been going ever since... Finally realizing that I have to accept who I am internally BEFORE I can change myself externally. Now that I am working on the insides, I thought I'd be proactive and work on the outsides as well. I would love for some extra supporters, and I will do my best to support you as well.

As for pooping....everybody may poop, but I don't seem to be. As of this week, of eating more healthy, I've only pooped twice. I'm usually pooping once or twice a day. My food diaries are public, so if someone would take a look at them and tell me what I should do, which foods I might like to add, etc, I'd greatly appreciate it. Although I have lost some weight this week, I'd probably see a little more if I ...ahem, cleared out. I will not take a laxative or stool softener stimulate.

Best of luck everyone. :)

Replies

• BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When i started eating healthier I started pooping WAY less.

When I ate junk I literally had to go like 3 -5 times a day and they were usually like sudden emergencies. I would have to jump out of my chair and run to the bathroom.

Now that I eat healthy it's usually once a day at the same time every day, sometimes twice a day if I've eaten a bit heavier.

You can hold food in your large intestines for up to three days. Maybe your body is just still trying to adjust to the changes you have made.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Does that include senna? My OB/Gyn recommended it for me because I'm not a good pooper ever! I like it, and it's natural :-)
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    It may just be your body adjusting to the new foods.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to eat more fiber. Try adding some additional fruits and veggies to your diet.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I'm ok now (185 days later LOL)
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite topics! LOL.

here are a few things i have learned along the way on this topic....

1. the more water you drink, the better you will poo
    2. you MUST get enough fat in order to poo
    3. if u up your fiber, up your water...
    4. i have heard that it is ideal to poo once daily, and AMAZING if after each meal

since starting shakeology and eating higher fiber, increasing water, and getting enough fat... i could pretty much set the clock by my bathroom habits. and i went from going barely a few times a week, to sometimes 3 times a day...

sorry if TMI... :-) but you started it!!!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I was going to suggest more fiber also, gala apples are an excellent source
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Gosh... I hate talking about poop, but I've had really good luck adding a psyllium husk fiber supplement (like Metamucil). I take it before bed every evening. I used to have the same issue as you, but since starting the psyllium I feel right as rain. :-)
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    fiber and water. i dont know why so many people balk at the idea of taking Metamucil. Doesnt taste bad, helps the heart out and keeps everything more regular and way less to clean up. plus, its another glass of water.....
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Eeeeuuuuwwwwwww!
  • tromburg
    tromburg Posts: 1
    Options
    Metamucil!! I had similar issues. Give it three or so days the first go around. Then you can let off. If you need to get back on it it acts much quicker the next time. :D
  • DJParrish01
    DJParrish01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can I ask you your vital stats? Height? Weight? Starting weight? How much you've lost?? And yes, my doctor told me that an adult female needs 25 grams of fiber a day? So... maybe up your fiber?
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Gosh... I hate talking about poop, but I've had really good luck adding a psyllium husk fiber supplement (like Metamucil). I take it before bed every evening. I used to have the same issue as you, but since starting the psyllium I feel right as rain. :-)

Metamucil is king! I know Docs that also recommended it purely for heart health. the notion that its a laxative or softener is bogus.

i also regularly eat a diet with good fruits and veggies, but i will never quit my Metamucil.

not going regularly can lead to health problems later in life.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Very good question! I'm glad you brought this up.. :flowerforyou:
  • cpearce3
    cpearce3 Posts: 6
    Options
    My body reacts the same way. Part of it is eating less, part of it is your body needing to adjust to the change. I have noticed that because I eat a lot more vegetables, I experience more gas, but it has subsided over the last few days. If you don't want to use a stimulant you can try dried fruit, especially dried plums (prunes) if you like them. Five of them are only 100 calories or so and they just really seem to do the job! Also, there is a tea I use on occasion that generates a bowel movement within 24 hours - it's called diet tea or something of that nature. It has all natural senna and I have not noticed it being habit forming or anything. Also, drink lots of water! I have been told by doctors and pharmacists that even if you are taking fiber tablets, if you are not drinking enough water they will not help because your intestines need the fluid to work properly. Hope this helps!
  • sarahwilly
    sarahwilly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi, I took a peek at your food diary....you don't seem to be eating lots of fruits and veggies. Maybe try increasing the amount of produce you eat and make sure you are drinking your water which it looks like you are:) FYI...bananas can be constipating and it looks like you are eating one daily....try to avoid dairy(milk and cheeses) , rice, bananas etc. Exercising also will help to get you regular. P.S. I find my am coffee really helps...haha!!
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    are you serious everybody poops....thats a relief, i though i was the only weirdo that did lol

sry couldn't resist lol :D
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I would eat some melon... like cantaloupe or watermelon... and grapes
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I too have and had this issue just last week and as gross as it is I drank a warm glass of prune juice and after my walk/run I was ready to go and been pretty regular since. Everyone said to eat more fiber but it messes up my stomach. I started adding more fruit into my diet and have been pretty regular since.....