Protein.

Options
I can never seem to get my protein in MyFitness pal put me at 100 grams and most days i do not come close. Should i change what i eat to get closer to the 100 grams.

Does more have any benefits if your not working out.

Thanks

Replies

• acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you want your calories to come from. My nutritionist has my goal for protein set at 20%, which is about 80 grams. However, I'm training for a half-marathon and need more carbs. I don't really have trouble reaching the 80 grams (sometimes I exceed), but I eat a lot of lean meat, greek yogurt, and nuts.

But if you don't want as many calories from carbs/fats, then you would need to eat more protein.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    acbraswell wrote: »
    It depends on where you want your calories to come from. My nutritionist has my goal for protein set at 20%, which is about 80 grams. However, I'm training for a half-marathon and need more carbs. I don't really have trouble reaching the 80 grams (sometimes I exceed), but I eat a lot of lean meat, greek yogurt, and nuts.

But if you don't want as many calories from carbs/fats, then you would need to eat more protein.

My macros are:
    Calories 2000
    Carbs 225g 45%
    Protein 100g 20%
    Fat 78g 35%

Thx
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Do you like eggs?

Maybe switching our your morning yogurt with a greek yogurt - more protein.

Looking at your diary, it doesn't show that you eat a lot of meat. But that's no problem.

Look into edamame or other beans to give your protein fix.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. The reason i eat normal yogurt is suppose to have more calcium and potassium then greek both are good for helping lower blood pressure which i need.

The meat its not that i dont wanna eat lots its just this is the foods i like at the moment. My protein will go up a bit as this week my sandwiches will be chicken salad but i dont know if ill still get to 100g protein. I feel good and bp is down a few points so its working for me.

Thanks
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The RDA for adequate protein for most adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight. That's about 46 grams of protein per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and 56 grams for men.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).

Personally, I aim for about 70 grams per day which falls between adequate and optimal but works for me.
  • _annevalerie
    _annevalerie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lean meats and leafy greens!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Protein especially during weight loss is essential in order to maintain muscle mass while losing weight, even if you do not exercise. To find out the optimal amount of protein for you multiply your weight in kilos x 0.8.

If you feel you are still under this goal then try adding a bit more of protein. Greek yogurt, eggs (you can just go for egg whites), beans, chicken and tuna are my favorite sources.
  • vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Why not try a protein mousse or powder to make a shake, add some yoghurt and ice cubes to it and you'll EASILY hit that target
  • TarikOktay
    TarikOktay Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I drink 300ml of skim milk in the morning (this has around 11gr of protein in it) and 300ml after diner with some protein shake. And yea... egg whites, chicken and tuna are easy to eat and will push your protein macros up. If you do gym i would advice proteine shakes. Just don't replace the protein you get out of food with shakes.
  • vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    Options