Wellbutrin & weight loss

Options
Hi! I've been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg since April (started at 150mg). Since then I have lost 18lbs.

I tried googling to see if anyone else lost weight while on this -- but all those reviews were from 2011.

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i don't know about that med. i am on prednisone for life. made it very difficult to adjust to constant cravings. gained about 20 pounds in beginning, down 30 now. just a little fyi?
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i don't know about that med. i am on prednisone for life. made it very difficult to adjust to constant cravings. gained about 20 pounds in beginning, down 30 now. just a little fyi?

Thanx. I've always gained weight on prednisone. And whenever I was on any other anti-depressant I always gained.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have been on Wellbutrin twice post pregnancy. From what I recall on the research I did then is that it is one of the few (if only) SSRIs that can aid in weight loss instead of causing weight gain. One article called it the "happy horny skinny pill." I can't attribute my weight loss soley to it though because I did take it post pregnancy and was breastfeeding at the time.
  • Walteezee
    Walteezee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin has had no such effect for me. :( However, being that a welcome side effect is the weight loss aid, it is the reason I was put on it.
  • JennB629
    Options
    I have been on Wellbutrin twice post pregnancy. From what I recall on the research I did then is that it is one of the few (if only) SSRIs that can aid in weight loss instead of causing weight gain. One article called it the "happy horny skinny pill." I can't attribute my weight loss soley to it though because I did take it post pregnancy and was breastfeeding at the time.

Breastfeeding never made me lose weight
  • JennB629
    Options
    I don't know where my comment went all the way. Breastfeeding never helped me lose weight! I was one of them freaks. Lol I nursed my last for 2.5 years.

And for the happy horny skinny pill, I guess all are accurate! I'm 32 and mom a 3... And I have a crazy high libdo.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    JennB629 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg since April (started at 150mg). Since then I have lost 18lbs.

I tried googling to see if anyone else lost weight while on this -- but all those reviews were from 2011.

I was on Wellbutrin (Zyban) for a few weeks as a stop smoking aid and I lost weight, too. But that's because the drug made me so incredibly nauseous and dizzy and I had to stop taking it.

Still managed to quit smoking, though. ;)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Wellbutrin definitely had appetite suppressant qualities when I took it. Unfortunately it also makes me manic, so I can't take it anymore. :'(
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

I was on Wellbutrin (Zyban) for a few weeks as a stop smoking aid and I lost weight, too. But that's because the drug made me so incredibly nauseous and dizzy and I had to stop taking it.

Congratulations!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Shells918 wrote: »

Wellbutrin definitely had appetite suppressant qualities when I took it. Unfortunately it also makes me manic, so I can't take it anymore. :'(

I found when I wasn't dizzy and nauseous, it made me incredibly anxious. Any noise or sudden movement had me jumping out of my skin. I actually had to give up driving until it wore off because I was a danger to myself and everyone else behind the wheel. It was awful. :(

My husband was on Wellbutrin at the same time (we quit smoking together) and he absolutely *loved* it. No side effects whatsoever.
  • mariam825
    mariam825 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lucky you! Anti depressants made me gain weight. First it was lexapro, gained 15 lbs in a month. Switched to wellbutrin, helped me feel better mentally but did nothing for my weight. I went on the hcg diet, on which I lost the 15 lbs. but it has all come back in the last year
  • JennB629
    Options

The dizzy and nausea took 4 weeks to end with me! Glad you were able to quit smoking! Such a bad habit to kick. I'm smoke free for 10 years next month.

• JennB629
    Options
    Shells918 wrote: »

I found when I wasn't dizzy and nauseous, it made me incredibly anxious. Any noise or sudden movement had me jumping out of my skin. I actually had to give up driving until it wore off because I was a danger to myself and everyone else behind the wheel. It was awful. :(

My husband was on Wellbutrin at the same time (we quit smoking together) and he absolutely *loved* it. No side effects whatsoever.

My phystraist knows it was making me anxious like you're describing. She put me on Prozac 1 20mg every other day.

• JennB629
    Options
    mariam825 wrote: »
    Lucky you! Anti depressants made me gain weight. First it was lexapro, gained 15 lbs in a month. Switched to wellbutrin, helped me feel better mentally but did nothing for my weight. I went on the hcg diet, on which I lost the 15 lbs. but it has all come back in the last year

I've tried so many (lexapro, Zoloft, Effexor, celexa, seroquel, hybrid)... And none of them worked and all made me gain so much weight.

• momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't know where my comment went all the way. Breastfeeding never helped me lose weight! I was one of them freaks. Lol I nursed my last for 2.5 years.

And for the happy horny skinny pill, I guess all are accurate! I'm 32 and mom a 3... And I have a crazy high libdo.

The only time (out of four) it actually "helped" me was with the first one. Congrats on nursing so long! I'm at 18 months with my last one and to be honest I'm starting to get tired of it but at the same time I can't give it up yet if he doesn't want me to.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    they all work differently on people
    i lost weight but that's because i had such bad vertigo that i couldn't get food into my mouth. i couldn't sit, or stand well.
    it is supposed to minimize any increase in appetite that seems to happen with many antidepressants
  • rhawfax1986
    rhawfax1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    seems like i lost a bit of weight on it...too bad trazodone makes me so hungry at night....
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I read that a lot of people have lost weight on Wellbutrin. Unfortunately for me, that is not the case. :(
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was on wellbutrin for a few months but it made me very unpleasant to be around . I am now on zoloft. My doctor and google research says it is used for treating Binge Eating Disorder. So far so good.