Fat Burn / Fitness

Used my Polar HRT for the first time today. It says "Fat Burn 7:59" and "Fitness 1:24:43." How do I increase fat burn??? Am I even asking the right question?? Lolgdbjupb1s0sb.jpg

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Don't put much stock into that. It's probably still working on fat burning zones which are a fitness myth. You burn body fat by creating an overall calorie deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Forget that.
    There is a HR range where you burn more calories from fat - however, that is a lower HR range so overall you burn less calories.
    In the higher HR zone you still burn calories from fat but a less percentage. However, you overall calorie burn is higher so even at a lower percentage you still burn more.

On top of that, HR zones are usually just generic averages and can be way off. You would have to do a fitness test to determine where yours are.

Really, you don't need to worry about how many calories from fat you burn.

TL'DR - just keep moving.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    I don't know how the timer can really establish a timeline of fat burn. From articles and medical information, the body will burn carbs before fat. The first 15 minutes of a workout is where sugars and carbs are burned to provide energy to the body and muscles. It's the 30 minute mark where subsequent fat loss begins. It's also depends on what type of exercise you're doing. If you are doing stand-alone cardio (running a long period of time), the fat loss isn't really all that much. If you're doing HIIT, Tabata, weight training, you'll see more of a fat loss that comes with it because of your muscles taking in all the sugars, protein and carbs needed for it to facilitate reps and sets.

Everyone is different when it comes to working out and how the body will lose fat. I don't think that a timer would constitute it to be an accurate measurement. I would just do the old-school tape and see where I've gone within a 30 day period.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10446495/morning-run-on-empty-stomach#latest

There is some discussion on the different compartments (aka - use of fat vs glycogen and the intensities in the above thread). Your body will burn both fat and glycogen. But overall energy states throughout the day is very important.
  • ChelleSpoon
    ChelleSpoon Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you all so very much!