Cardio and/or weight training during weight loss, thoughts needed

Options
Hello all! I have a big focus on being fit, not skinny... So currently I fast-walk an average of 3 miles a day for exercise. In my past life, I love lifting...
I am trying to drop weight through CICO and exercise. I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on combining cardio and weights training. What combination of the two is best? Why is focusing on one more effective than another?

In my mind... the strength will come (and cardio adds to strength, too)... but the weight loss is priority. (I have 65 pounds to go to get down to a "healthy" bmi).

Thanks all!!

Replies

• KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you like weights, do weights. If you like walking, walk. The best exercise is the one you like doing & you will continue to do long term.

CICO will take care of the scale.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When I go to the gym I typically run for 1.5-2.0 miles then lift then do some cool down cardio.

As someone who uses cycling as my primary cardio exercise, I tend to focus on leg and core exercises.

But everyone is different. You'll need to find what you like, and what works for you. You're not going to do something that isn't fun and doesn't yield results.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is no magic combination, follow a good 3x week full body program utilizing compound movements & do the level & type of cardio you enjoy. Fast walking is great it that's what you like.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    weight training will help preserve muscle cardio atleast 2 times a week
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have learned to do what I like. If I try to go hardcore with anything Fitness I burn out. I like t25 and I like yoga. I'm playing around with a kettlebell dvd. Anything is better than nothing and putting less in my mouth is what melts the pounds away.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Combining weight training and cardio is an excellent plan. I run and lift weights at the gym on alternating days. The running keeps my fitness up, helps strengthen my bones and gives me more calories to eat. The strength training helps ensure that I'm not losing much muscle (and was building it earlier when I was eating more so I could) and keeps me stronger both for running and every day life.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Both.

Cardio strips muscle and fat so the strength training helps to target the fat
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    Both.

Don’t be afraid that doing cardiovascular exercise will limit your muscle growth. If you’re eating a nutritionally sound diet and replenishing your glycogen stores after a workout, you’ll build a lean, defined body through a balanced training routine of strength training and cardio.

Source : Here

Now I've to tell you a frightful fact. Excessive cardio plus improper dieting will cause you to KEEP YOUR BODY FAT!

Let me put this in a simple formula for you to see clearly-
    Excessive cardio + improper dieting = less muscle mass and slower metabolism = no weight loss = Yo-Yo dieting

So don't ever combine these 2 together!

Cardio exercise is an exercise in endurance. I'm sure you want an exercise program that endures for a life time, for the good of your body?
    So, don't indulge in excessive cardio, thinking it'll burn up more of your body fat, faster.....
    You go too hard and too fast, you get "burnt out" instead in your muscle mass and your body weight stays plateau!
    Cardio moderately, strength-train and eat a healthy diet, you'll then lose weight and stay fit!
    ]

Basically this whole article :http://breakingmuscle.com/hypertrophy/cardio-doesnt-kill-gains-and-you-should-be-doing-it
  • RainyDayBrunette
    RainyDayBrunette Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Both.

Don’t be afraid that doing cardiovascular exercise will limit your muscle growth. If you’re eating a nutritionally sound diet and replenishing your glycogen stores after a workout, you’ll build a lean, defined body through a balanced training routine of strength training and cardio.

Now I've to tell you a frightful fact. Excessive cardio plus improper dieting will cause you to KEEP YOUR BODY FAT!

Let me put this in a simple formula for you to see clearly-
    Excessive cardio + improper dieting = less muscle mass and slower metabolism = no weight loss = Yo-Yo dieting

So don't ever combine these 2 together!

Cardio exercise is an exercise in endurance. I'm sure you want an exercise program that endures for a life time, for the good of your body?
    So, don't indulge in excessive cardio, thinking it'll burn up more of your body fat, faster.....
    You go too hard and too fast, you get "burnt out" instead in your muscle mass and your body weight stays plateau!
    Cardio moderately, strength-train and eat a healthy diet, you'll then lose weight and stay fit!
    ]

Basically this whole article :http://breakingmuscle.com/hypertrophy/cardio-doesnt-kill-gains-and-you-should-be-doing-it

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for. Much appreciated!!!

Thanks to all!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have a big focus on being fit, not skinny... So currently I fast-walk an average of 3 miles a day for exercise. In my past life, I love lifting...
    I am trying to drop weight through CICO and exercise. I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on combining cardio and weights training. What combination of the two is best? Why is focusing on one more effective than another?

In my mind... the strength will come (and cardio adds to strength, too)... but the weight loss is priority. (I have 65 pounds to go to get down to a "healthy" bmi).

Thanks all!!

This is all relative to your fitness goals and what YOUR priorities are. Both are important to your overall fitness and there are plenty of people who just follow a pretty balanced approached...for myself, I'm a cycling enthusiast and I do lift, but only a couple times per week in support of my cycling...I spend way more time on my bike.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cardio and/or weight training during weight loss

And not or.
    You get different benefits from both so do both.

Cardio doesn't strip muscle unless you have a hopelessly inadequate diet - otherwise the athletes that trained the most would be the worst performers!
  • chapiano
    Options
    Athletes? No. People with a high BMI on a weight loss journey? Yes. As you lose weight you lose muscle and fat
  • RainyDayBrunette
    RainyDayBrunette Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I want to lose fat, and improve muscle.... the calorie requirements for each are a bit different... so doing them at the same time takes science. Science I may not know! I love fitness and nutrition science.
  • acs34
    acs34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi peps
    In my view any workout is better than none. I would not put stock in a bmi score only because that does not take into account body shape you will know yourself what feels comfortable in weight
    I will say well done for keeping it up
    Good luck

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Athletes? No. People with a high BMI on a weight loss journey? Yes. As you lose weight you lose muscle and fat

Nope. Being fat is actually muscle sparing. That plentiful supply of energy remember.
    Glycogen and fat are your preferred energy sources - not muscle. You have to have a diet that is either badly protein deficient or have an inappropriately large calorie deficit for a reasonable amount of cardio to burn/strip muscle.

You are recycling a horrible myth which deters people from the health and fitness benefits of a balanced regime of both cardio and weight/strength training.
  • chapiano
    Options
    You can't really do both at the same time. Lose the fat and your muscles will become more defined as your body fat % drops
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Lift Heavy
    Eat Clean
    HIIT

.... this works for me

although, diet is the biggest part of the equation (imho)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can't really do both at the same time. Lose the fat and your muscles will become more defined as your body fat % drops

Ever heard of recomposition?
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do both.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    In a way, this kind of question is hard for me to process.

While weight training is a (moderately) specific thing, lots of activities amount to strength training, and will build muscle (though typically not as rapidly as weight training will).

But I've never been able to figure out this "cardio" idea - there are a million, zillion, billion things that will improve cardiovascular fitness (over doing nothing): How and why do we talk about it as if "cardio" were one thing?!?

Moreover, some of the "cardio" things are also (to a certain extent) "strength" things: How and why do we talk about them as if cardio & strength were completely separate, never-the-twain-shall-meet things?!? I've never seen a serious cyclist with puny, weak legs, for example. Or a serious hockey player, for that matter. Serious swimmers don't much seem to be skinny-fat, either.

For me, it's important to be strong, and have good cardiovascular fitness. But there are lots of paths that will reach a reasonable (though clearly sub-elite) level of both. I'm gonna pick the path that's the most fun for me, because that's the one I'll stick with. I know it's just me, but if I thought I had to get on a treadmill or the elliptical daily, I think I'd just Stop Now.

Mostly, I row (cardio + strength), spin (cardio + a tiny bit of strength), lift in the rowing off-season (strength), and throw in some stretching/yoga (because flexibility is important to me, too - even though it doesn't help a lot with weight loss, other than via the body-awareness route).