Cilcking Knees....

Options
I am 3 weeks into consistent working out and lately my knees have been making increasingly loud/uncomfortable clicking noises when I bend them. Nothing is painful, it just makes me very wary of lunges and squats. My doctor says it just happens with age, but it cant be normal. Supplements? Physical therapy moves?

I am overweight by a lot, but it seems like weight-loss will only be harder if I start losing exercises I can do!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Mine pop all the time. Trainer says it is gas and air pockets most likely. If it doesn't hurt, my understanding is that there is no reason to worry....
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My ortho didn't seem to think the clicking in my knee was normal. They actually called it something but I can't remember what. I ended up being diagnosed with patella fibromyalgia but that has a lot more to do with just clicking my knee just happened to do that too.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have this too with squats and lunges....doesn't hurt but the crunchin and clickin sounds terrible! I am only 33 so I cant blame age....am a big girl but geez!!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    my clicks are in my ankles. I've had them xrayed, mri's, stress tests, sonograms, there's nothing wrong and my ankles are strong. They just click. It started about the time I hit 40. The advise I was given was don't worry about it unless it starts hurting
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Mine pop all the time. Trainer says it is gas and air pockets most likely. If it doesn't hurt, my understanding is that there is no reason to worry....

If it is like hers and just popping that is different then clicking. Mine actually clicked.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My knees crunch when I go up the stairs and have been doing that since I was in my 30's (42 now). My husband's ankles pop every time he takes a step so I think it is normal to some extent. I've heard glucosomine is good for the joints and my alleviate the popping in your knees. I've never really tried it since I hate taking supplements.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to see an ortho for exactly this. My right knee crackles like a bowl of rice krispies whenever I bend it. The doc has told me until I see the ortho that I should NOT run, and if I need to do any exercising, it should not be more than body weight +-5-ish pounds, and to wear a brace on the knee whenever I'm vertical.

All this to say, it likely is NOT normal, please take it to a doctor.
  • Dokks
    Dokks Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm a drummer and my wrists click and pop constantly. I joke that it's the extra pops that give my drumming flare! Doc says nothing wrong just some of us make more noise than others. ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My knees and ankles click and pop - my physio said not to worry unless the clicks are accompanied with pain.
    But, every one I'd different - I'd suggest that you ask your doctor next time you see him/her.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my right knee. Whenever I bend it doing lunges, or going down stairs is crackles. No pain, but sounds terrible. I developed this about 6 weeks after starting Insanity, and realized it was from all the excessive jumping. I have been running for years and that never bothered me, and even now when i run it doesnt make any noise.
    I have been using glucosamine with condroitin for about 2 mos and that hasnt made any difference what so ever for me.
    I believe it is patellofemoral syndrome...