Need a routine in a family with no routine! How?

Options
My family does what they want and I am the companion, go to person, chauffeur , pastime etc. so a routine for me just gets bumped ! So frustrating!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You are in control of you. Make time for you. Even if it is at 5am (raises hand) that is your me time and you just have to make yourself a priority.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My family does what they want and I am the companion, go to person, chauffeur , pastime etc. so a routine for me just gets bumped ! So frustrating!

People treat you the way you let them, so.....
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Start adding little things in, once you've got them to stick, add a couple more and so on

That's how I did it and now my family is in a proper routine and they didn't even realise I was doing it until it was too late
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now is the time to call Supernanny! You are the willing victim in your story. When you lay out a schedule your family will adjust. Just as soon as they figure out the doormat is rolled up and put away. Permanently.

Are you the stay at home parent? Do you have any children under school age? Is there money in your budget for relief care for a couple hours a day?

Some great tips I've seen on Supernanny is to create snack jars for each child and have them choose a few snacks for their daily jar. Once the jar is empty, snacks are done for the day! The rest of the snacks are tucked away out of sight and out of reach in tote boxes.

Have scheduled outdoor activity where you participate like a treasure hunt, hide and seek or something similar. If the child gets scheduled secure attention from their parent it is only fair you get a scheduled break later.
  • gettingmarried817
    gettingmarried817 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from. I'm a married mom of two and my family's schedule makes a major impact on my day. Today alone was three doctor's appointments, a middle school open house, and getting paperwork to the school district office. It's because of days like today that I appreciate MFP so much. Logging keeps me on track and mindful of what I put in my body. It really does make all the difference! If you want someone to be supportive who knows what it's like, feel free to add me. Either way, good luck to you!