Should I take my scale on vacation?

FoamyRiver
FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
edited September 29 in Chit-Chat
Hello my name is Foamy and I am a scale *kitten*. There I said it. I'm one of those people who weighs every morning--usually 2 or 3 times every morning. In the past I've gotten extremely discouraged when I weighed once a week. I thought I had done well all week but was disappointed when I had only lost .25lbs or gained 4lbs. So this time around I weigh every day and it keeps me more accountable and from getting discouraged. I don't let it control me and I don't let it determine my mood if I'm up a pound. I know how many calories are in a pound and I haven't eaten that many calories in a day since I started this journey.

So let's get to the point. I'm going on vacation next week and an trying to decide if I want to lug my scale with me. I fully intend on taking walks/jogs on the beach and checking out the workout facility at the resort. And I know how to make smart choices eating out. We tend not to eat as often when we go on vacation but that's usually because we'll eat a sensible breakfast and then a big lunch OR a big supper and eat snacks if we get hungry. Although I'll be checking in from my phone every day, I don't plan on logging my food because it's too much of a pain.

So what do you think? Should I or shouldn't I? I just don't want to come back from vacation and face a big weight gain. I think I'll make better choices if I have my "friend" with me.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Being completely honest...and talking from my own life and experience... fvck the scale on vacation! :flowerforyou:

And I mean that in the nicest sense, hope you aren't offended.

You are on vacation. ENJOY YOURSELF and leave your stress inducing piece of scrap metal on the floor at home. :bigsmile:

One vacation will not make or break you, if you are treating this like a lifestyle change and not a diet. :glasses:
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    If I could type in 128 pt font, I would. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

You're training for real life here. You can't lug your scale with you everywhere you go. Enjoy your vacation instead.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Definately NO!!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Nope! Maybe it will help you to break the habit. I used to weigh every night and every morning. Then I stopped weighing at night. Now I weigh every few days. You might be happier without it! I know I am. :)
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Seriously???

Uh, NO.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    I think you need to do what will keep you on track. some people actually benefit from checking their weight more often than others.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Absolutely not. Taking your scales on holiday is not "normal" behaviour. And yes, I know that normal is a slippery one and there is really no such thing as normal anyway, but you know what I mean right? Its not healthy to be that addicted to your scales.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    I am also a full blown scale *kitten*. And the answer is... NO Still NO. And you need 2 vacations, at least, LOL
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Hell no!

I just got back from an 11 day vaca and only weighed myself once (at the grocery store of all places!!) I wish I hadn't. It put a little of a damper on my trip. I won't do that again!!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    I think it's been said. If you're trying to develop a healthy lifestyle then you absolutely do NOT take your scale. Can there possibly be anything healthy about that? It's crossing the line from healthy to obsessive. I too jump on the scale every morning. It's a reminder to me and a little nudge if I know the day before wasn't so hot. That being said....leave that thing at home!!!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    NO NO NO! Enjoy vacation, don't stress over it. Just be smart about what you eat and how much.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    No, and don't even weight yourself for a week after you get back.

Wasn't there a commercial a few years ago where people were shackled to their scales and had to drag them everywhere?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Not no... HELL NO!!!!!! Leave the d@mn thing home. Actually, put it in the trash on your way out the door for vacation!
  • Ok, I'm going to be in the minority. I say take it if it keeps you more accountable. I know for myself I have fun when on vacation and try not to stress over how many calories I'm consuming. That said, if you make better choices throughout your trip because you have to step on the scale the next day, what harm is really done?
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Although I'll be checking in from my phone every day, I don't plan on logging my food because it's too much of a pain.

So what do you think? Should I or shouldn't I? I just don't want to come back from vacation and face a big weight gain. I think I'll make better choices if I have my "friend" with me.

You will probably make better choices if you just log your food a couple times a day :) Leave the scale at home, kick up the exercise (walking, etc) and keep track of what you eat as best you can. Then you can have a pleasant surprise when you get home! That's what I did last month on our 13 day vacation...and I came home 1 lb. down. We ate dinner out several times, but went for frozen yogurt, ice cream or some other treat every single nite. Have fun!!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    I'm a scale *kitten* too and I'm taking my scale to Amsterdam with me in August. I can't be away from it for 2 weeks. I'm even taking my computer so I can log in and keep track. I know I'll probably gain something but bringing the scale will keep me accountable. I understand your thinking all too well. I am laughing because I didn't think there was another person who was planning on taking a scale on vacation. I happened to mention it to my husband just last night, LOL You do what is right for you. I would have such a bad time iof I didn't have my scale. I'd be worried the whole time that I'd be gaining and would fce a huge weight gain when I came back. It's amazing how much you and I think a like. Cheers and have a wonderful vacation!! :laugh:
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    No, and don't even weight yourself for a week after you get back.

Wasn't there a commercial a few years ago where people were shackled to their scales and had to drag them everywhere?

I loved that commercial!! It's what made me first realize the extreme dieting I was doing was insane!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    I did not take my scales with me on vacation and this morning I'm up 8 pounds!!!!! I'm slightly discouraged because it had just taken me 3 weeks to lose 3 pounds I gained last month from TOM. On the plus side, I did work out every single day I was on vacation so I did consider the consequences if I hadn't worked out at all. Plus we did eat out so I'm hoping most of this is water weight due to all the sodium.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I told you not to weigh yourself when you first got back! :tongue:

I "gained" 8 pounds after three days of my inlaws taking us out to eat and a pig roast at my brother's. It's sodium and will drop off in time.
This discussion has been closed.