Importance of resistance training with weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone!

Today I've been reading lots of posts in the message boards, and I've seen a topic come up over and over: resistance training (in some form) while losing weight.

I've got a long road ahead of me (98 lbs to target weight), and I'm just wondering what the importance of the resistance training is? I haven't really ever done any type of resistance training, so I'm at a loss as to where I'd even start.

What type of resistance training? How often? How much resistance? Do I need to do it now, or after I've lost some weight?

Any help anyone could provide me would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Anything that provides resistance to your muscles should work [dumbbells, resistance bands, body weight exercises]. The easiest to start with is resistance bands, since they're often used by physical therapists to rehabilitate patients with injuries or post-surgery.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, you lose a combination of fat, water, and muscle. You don't want to lose muscle because it is hard to regain.

Resistance training can help preserve your muscle mass, coupled with adequate protein.

It can be as simple as bodyweight exercises or using resistance bands. If you are interested in lifting weights, there are a lot of beginner programs available that will help get you stronger.
  • MamaSooz89129
    MamaSooz89129 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    mnvicke wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Today I've been reading lots of posts in the message boards, and I've seen a topic come up over and over: resistance training (in some form) while losing weight.

I've got a long road ahead of me (98 lbs to target weight), and I'm just wondering what the importance of the resistance training is? I haven't really ever done any type of resistance training, so I'm at a loss as to where I'd even start.

What type of resistance training? How often? How much resistance? Do I need to do it now, or after I've lost some weight?

Any help anyone could provide me would be greatly appreciated!

I'm at work and we are blocked from YouTube, but do a search for "HASFIT beginner strength training" and there is a great little workout with dumbbells that is really doable. It's only 15 minutes, but you do 3 reps of about 10 different exercises. I started with 3 lb weights which you can find at any Walmart or Target. Warning: you will be really sore the first time you do it for a couple of days, but keep doing it and you'll be stronger! Do it 2-3 times per week and when 3 lbs gets easy, move up to 5 lbs. HASFIT also has other videos when you get more advanced. Good luck!

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The weight loss gives you the lower weight on the scale, but adding strength training will help you get the firm body with the shape you want. Weight training is very efficient and with proper programming can be incredibly effective. I would suggest starting with "Strong Curves." Absent that look at "Starting Strength" or "Stronglifts." There are also various dummbell and kettlebell programs.

Body weight training will also work well. Look at Convict Conditioning or You are Your Own Gym, or consider buying TRX straps.
  • mnvicke
    mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks, everyone!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Below is the HasFit programme @MamaSooz89129 mentioned. It is really good for starting out.
    I will also link a bodywork routine by Nerdfitness, another of my favourite routines.

Swimming, Aqua fit, Pilates, yoga etc are all good for a beginner. You just have to keep using your muscles. Once something gets easy it is time to up the intensity.

Cheers, h

Body weight
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Hand weight
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Good for all strength training

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mnvicke
    mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @middlehaitch!