so.. valuable lesson

Options
celery allergy is a thing.
celery allergy is quite a common thing.
celery allergy is more common in people with asthma and/or eczema.
celery allergy is more common in people with allergies to birch.
higher concentrations of allergens are found in celeriac, and even higher in celery seeds.

ask me how I know..

Replies

• Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    ouch
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Wow. That sucks. I have asthma so I will continue never eating celery (it's more work than it's worth. So much chewing, all the strings...)
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes it's one of the thirteen common allergens, and celery seeds are in a surprising number of things.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    So did you wait 32 years before eating Celery? If so then props to you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Celery? Never would have guessed it!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    ^^Me either. Maybe it's cause I don't like celery, but I never would have guessed that it was such a common allergy.
    Sorry, OP. That sounds like no fun. :(
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    So did you wait 32 years before eating Celery? If so then props to you!

I've eaten celery heaps, and celeriac once or twice, but last night for dinner I tried a new recipe for celeriac noodles with a nice sauce, so I now I know that half a celeriac is too much!

I googled 'allergy to celeriac' thinking I was being silly, like 'as if people are allergic to celeriac, you're being stupid Su', and was surprised to hear that it's a big one!

It was like the worst hay fever I've ever had - sinus shutdown, swollen eyes, mouth and throat, itching like you would not believe..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I found out that celery allergen was a thing when I saw it printed as a "may contain" on a packet of imported soup. Apparently here in Australia it's not one of the allergens which companies are required to warn of. I was really surprised and Googled it and sure enough, found as you found - super common allergen.