Menstrual Cycle Sabotage to Weight Loss???

Options
OK...here is the REAL True Hollywood Story.

Senario1 : Girl on diet...does well for the first 2 weeks of the month. Cycle comes around....girl eats EVERYTHING in sight!! All of her weight loss efforts (along with fatigue, sore breasts, water weight gain, and CRAVINGSSS....) go down the drain.

Senario 2: Girl recognizes pattern...and does research. No one can help, no one can relate..

Replies

• allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    I can relate! I turn into a food monster when I get my period, plus I bloat so badly I look like I gained 20 pounds over night. I hate it. No idea what to do about it though. :(
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am both girl #1 and girl #2! Right now actually! lol!
    The only help I can offer is to learn that self control. Only you can help yourself.
    Have things you want or crave. But in moderation.
    That is my big issue. I am working on that self control.
    Every time (ok,almost everytime! ) I want to eat my whole kitchen, I put on my work out clothes and do a video or go for a walk.
  • MTriplettBaker
    MTriplettBaker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i can certainly relate. i go thru same. And you right , no help no remedies. I do suggest to add another day of excercise duringthat time and wear a work out suit. It has helped.
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    I can relate, I can go up 6lbs :( and I look like a blowfish.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Been there done that. My days leading up, and the first day or two of is usually pretty rough. I try to keep myself occupied as much as possible so I won't think about those cravings. And water water water! I'll eat something sweet and healthy like Greek yogurt with vanilla splenda and strawberries. I just tried to keep my mind off of it and it really seemed to help get me past the dreadful times.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Totally gril 1
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I can definitely can relate, going through that right now!
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can relate!! Except I notice my "sabotage" the week prior to my cycle. So that would be happening right about NOW! It's frustrating, but stick to your calories. If you crave crunch - try baby carrots, sweet - try Jello temptations, salty - pickles seem to work plus you get the crunch. Remember, satisfy the cravings, but in moderation!
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    Water is essential...and I've started taking flaxseed-primrose supplements and that totally helps with the sore breast.
  • Ginger1384
    Ginger1384 Posts: 42
    Options
    I can so relate. And I want cookies. And wouldn't you know this time, a friend of mine from up north brought down these amazing chocolate chip cookies from a bakery close to her house. 2 DOZENS!!!! Stupid menstrual cycle.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake before and make sure you are taking vitamins daily. I take niacin too that week. I usually gain 4-5 lbs. But if I keep my calories tight during it usually come back off.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bloating gets me discouraged and makes me wanna work out more. I hate it, I don't loose weight and I'm always hungry. I snack and stick to small meals but it does make me feel hella fat.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's not sabotage - don't be so hard on your body for doing what it is designed to do!
    It's really common to have increased appetite or water-weight gain during a part of your monthly cycle, don't stress about it, you will be back on track in a few days. I've started increasing my cals by 50/100 day during my "hungry week" and this has helped me eat a little more but still stay in control.
    Good luck with finding what works for you.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Water is essential...and I've started taking flaxseed-primrose supplements and that totally helps with the sore breast.

I swear by the primrose for pms and during. I've used flaxseed oil for depression and it helps too. Great combo! I also don't any coffee around that time, drink lots of water eat more low fat protien and fruits and veggies. I cant totally relate to this. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Drinking tons of water helps u loose weight right?
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    I can totally relate to this as well. I get so hungry before and during my T.O.M. It sucks. I always go over my calories for at least a few days.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Drink Water water and more water! I just finished mine(restarted my birth control pack this morning.. thank goodness!) and while I had one bad night( I crave fried foods and the only thing I wanted was cheese curds with ranch from culver's), and wanted to eat everything in sight, for the most part I kept it under control..

I weighed myself this morning and I was back to the weight I was last thursday.. so that proves it was just water weight. Hopefully by next thursday it goes down even more!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I can soooo relate...on BCP and the whole 3 wks before TOM I am bloated, hungry and scale is up or not moving! Then week of period scale is down and not hungry!! Weird! Such is lfe and being a woman!
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    the problem i seem to have isn't so much eating too much, it's not eating enough! even the smell of food for the first 2-3 days will make me sick. after that, the next 2-3 days i'll crave foods with no flavor (mostly taco bell). even drinking water the first few days will make me sick, i can't keep anything down!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    It sucks but you'll figure out your way around it. Been there, sis.