treadmill vs elliptical

Options
I was just wondering if anyone felt that the elliptical was not as beneficial as the treadmill. I can stay on the elliptical for a long time and be sweaty but still not feel like I did as much as if I were to do even 15-20 mins on a treadmill. I will burn around 500 calories or so after 45 mins, but it doesn't feel like it! Am I still getting in shape on the elliptical (I get so BORED of my music on the treadmill! And the elliptical has tvs attached to the actual machines, so it can be a little less "slow" to pass time!) I am not new to exercise by any means, I'm just wondering if the elliptical is a total waste of time or if any of you have success doing it.

Thanks!

OH, and for instance today on the treadmill I did intervals, but stayed around a 9-10 on intensity level, alternating inclines.

Replies

• James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think the elliptical is much easier on the knees than a treadmill. In terms of the work, you can work about as hard as you want on either one. A lady I know at the Y often gets on the elliptical with a book or the newspaper, is on there for an hour or more, going slowly at low resistance, never breaking a sweat or getting out of breath. I do intervals for half an hour, with one minute of all-out sprinting in every four, and I always soak my T-shirt, and see peak heart rates in the low 180s (average in the 140s, usually). I see people on the treadmills going hard and fast also, getting plenty of work. So, I think it's all in how you use either sort of machine.
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think the elliptical is way better. It is way easier on the knees and it burns more calories. It is my miracle machine! LOL
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I actually feel the opposite, that I'm getting a better workout on the elliptical than I do on the treadmill. I'm really watching my heartrate these days, and I have trouble getting my heart rate up walking on the treadmill. I'm not at the point in my fitness program where I can run and even at the best of times I'm a fairly slow walker, so my heartrate rarely gets into the fat burning zone on the treadmill. But after about 10 minutes on the elliptical, my heartrate hits the fat burning zone and pretty much stays there the rest of the time I'm on the machine.

I guess it's whatever works for you personally. I usually do a mix of both elliptical and treadmill, but I try to do more elliptical.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I feel like I burn more calories on the elliptical. I am not a fast runner so in 10 minutes I can burn 100 calories while on a treadmill it takes me a half hour to burn 100.
  • rachelleleigh08
    Options
    I feel like you have to keep the resistance increased on the elliptical to have it be as beneficial as the same amount of time on the treadmill. I set the elliptical for 'fat burn' mode and it increases resistance when my heart rate starts to dip. I can definitely burn more calories in same amount of time on treadmill if I jog, but I get too bored! I do the elliptical if it's one of those days I really don't want to work-out. :)
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I like the elliptical better as well. Less impact on my feet and knees. I tend to get plantars faciatis(sp) and knee pain if I am not careful(was run down by a car as a child)
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My husband uses the elliptical, I use the treadmill. I think you get a better workout on the elliptical, I just like the treadmill better. I am now trying to do 15 mins on the elliptal before I go on the treadmill. Maybe one day imcan cut out the treadmill.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    I take my I-pad with me while I work out. I love the treadmill, I feel for me that I get a better workout. I do the elliptical also, but I just can't last that long.

So, I turn on my netflix and walk/ fast walk on the treadmill... I set it to cardio and put my max heart rate and let the machines pick the intervals for me based on my heart rate.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have and use both machines. I feel that the treadmill is more difficult for the same amount of time and intensity. However, I feel that the elliptical is more of a full body workout as the arm movements are working my upper body more. Definitely the elliptical is less impact (better for the knees and joints). Typically I will spend a little longer on the elliptical than the treadmill simply for the fact that its lower impact and my speed is a little slower to achieve the same distance and calorie burn. Both machines I get off of them drenched with sweat and feeling pretty good!
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical and I lost most of my weight from it. I love intervals on it and burn about 300 calories in 30 minutes with out any pain in my knees. I also love to use it after I do a video like the shred or Bob Harper super strength because it helps my knees to not be as stiff.
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    Before I gained weight I would only use the treadmill and stairmaster, since then I tried the treadmill but found that my body was not ready for it...so I stick with the elliptical which is easier.

My point being, if your body can handle the treadmill, go with that one, if not quite there yet then start with the elliptical and then move up.

Best.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I read an article that jogging/running on a treadmill is a better workout even if it burns less cals than an elliptical because on an elliptical you have the machine to keep you going because of your body weight...on a treadmill you only have yourself and your entire body to push you to keep going so its better all over. I dont know if that makes sense but I have started running more and have dropped more weight.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I most definitely prefer the elliptical. I burn more calories on the elliptical than if I ran on the treadmill. I am also recovering from foot surgery and I've noticed that it doesn't hurt as much if I use the elliptical instead of the treadmill. It is a preference choice, so there really is no right or wrong.
  • greenscrapcat
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I have bad knees and can't stay on the elliptical that long at all. I put the treadmill on a low incline and do interval.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Treadmill can give you a larger calorie burn but it takes time to work up to it. The elliptical is easier if you are used to it so you may be able to go longer at a higher intensity, but overall the treadmill is more beneficial from a calorie burn standpoint. Try alternating between the two.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    The elliptical gives you the low impact advantage. If you're running on a treadmill why not just go run on the sidewalk?
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My point being, if your body can handle the treadmill, go with that one, if not quite there yet then start with the elliptical and then move up.

I "moved up" in the other direction. After years of walking up and down hills out of doors I couldn't get my heart rate up high enough to matter on a treadmill. Not at a walking pace, anyway, and I wasn't fit enough to run. The first time I got on an elliptical I lasted only a couple of minutes at resistance level 1. If that.

I'm a lot more fit now and capable of pushing hard enough to get a good workout and a high burn on either type of machine, but still prefer the elliptical because it spares my knees and ankles. And because I have other, more pleasant options for running.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Thank you for the insight, I should have clarified running on the treadmill vs walking.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    If you're running on a treadmill why not just go run on the sidewalk?

this is exactly why i've never really gotten into running on a treadmill, i'd much rather run outside if i'm going to do so, so i tend to stick with the elliptical myself.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    An opinion from a personal trainer on TV (X-weighted) Advises not to use the Elipticle because it's motions doesn't help you in 'real life' ie. you have a challenge to hike a trail like the chief or Grouse Grind - the elipticle training will not be beneficial as it's movements don't pertain to 'real life' motions ...

On the other hand if you have bad knees or leg sores - the elipticle is much easier on the joints - as is spinning ... I find anyways ....